Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By flashpiti
  • 2 Post By rrhartjr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightlies

Default Camera?

Is anyone else really worried about the camera on the Nexus _____ ?

Honestly I take so many pictures with my phone and as a photographer the camera on the OG Droid really isn't cutting it (nor on my Incredible).

The camera has become a selling point for me on phones and here's to hoping that its much better than most of what we've seen on the Android front. I would take one that was equivalent to the one on the iPhone 4 (not-S).

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Default Re: Camera?

I'm slightly worried, but I will wait for the official announcement first. Too many rumors at this point. Phone cameras are becoming a fairly important feature for phones since people like to take pictures and it is nice when you don't have to worry about carrying around a real camera because your phone gets the job done. I doubt Samsung will skimp on this feature.

ROM
    Stock

That's the one upgrade I'm looking for, too. I'm actually considering the iPhone because of it.

We need better low light performance, better sharpness and dynamic range, and video at 60fps with stabilization (even if it's just 720p).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    That's the one upgrade I'm looking for, too. I'm actually considering the iPhone because of it.

We need better low light performance, better sharpness and dynamic range, and video at 60fps with stabilization (even if it's just 720p).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I almost bought an S95 to carry around instead of my dSLR so that I could take decent pictures on the go. Was going to grab an Eye-Fi card as well so I could upload to the internet relatively quickly and instantly although nothing beats the social integration on phones. This is why I am really hoping for a good camera.

I am not concerned about the MPs but I am concerned about the speed of the OS when shooting and the quality and speed of the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpiti View Post
    I am not concerned about the MPs but I am concerned about the speed of the OS when shooting and the quality and speed of the lens.
    Amen to that.. I'd take a 3.2MP camera if it took a pic per second..
    jdbower and scotty_pimmpen like this.

ROM

Why would you be concerned? The Galaxy S2 had the best camera on an Android phone to date, at least as good as the iphone 4. I would guess that the 5 megapixel camera rumored is a good indication that they went for quality over quantity. I seriously doubt any of you have ever printed out a photo from your phone, but even if that's your intent, a 5 megapixel sensor is enough for that. Here's hoping for a fast lens, like a f/2.2 (sensation xe) or 2.4 like the iphone 4s. That would help you get good images more than anything.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by MedioGringo View Post
    Why would you be concerned? The Galaxy S2 had the best camera on an Android phone to date, at least as good as the iphone 4. I would guess that the 5 megapixel camera rumored is a good indication that they went for quality over quantity. I seriously doubt any of you have ever printed out a photo from your phone, but even if that's your intent, a 5 megapixel sensor is enough for that. Here's hoping for a fast lens, like a f/2.2 (sensation xe) or 2.4 like the iphone 4s. That would help you get good images more than anything.
    Exactly.

I have never printed a picture from my phone out, but I would love something at f/2.2 - f/2.4 with good low light performance. Some nice lens elements would be really helpful too.
    It's been real...

I have made very many prints from my phones over the years. Thus far, the best looking prints came from my Samsung Omnia. Last windows mobile phone I had before moving over to Android. The OG droid were acceptable, but the older Omnia definitely had better image quality, and created better prints. Especially 8x10s.

I haven't yet printed anything from the DX, but the images are much improved over the OG droid.

Photography is also a hobby of mine, and camera quality is important to me in my smartphone. I don't want to carry my DSLR around with me all the time... especially with a few lenses in the bag. High quality smartphone cameras are very convenient.

*customized tapatalk signature*

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
    I have made very many prints from my phones over the years. Thus far, the best looking prints came from my Samsung Omnia. Last windows mobile phone I had before moving over to Android. The OG droid were acceptable, but the older Omnia definitely had better image quality, and created better prints. Especially 8x10s.

I haven't yet printed anything from the DX, but the images are much improved over the OG droid.

Photography is also a hobby of mine, and camera quality is important to me in my smartphone. I don't want to carry my DSLR around with me all the time... especially with a few lenses in the bag. High quality smartphone cameras are very convenient.

Yeah I get you. Having a sweet camera on your phone is a huge plus. The camera on my Evo 3d sucks. Bad. I think people who print 8x10s from their phone are in the extreme minority here, tho. But yeah, I get you for sure. I have a DSLR and just a phone - no point and shoot. So I'd love a really nice camera on my phone for once. I'm willing to bet the camera on the Prime is gonna be pretty damn good.
    It's been real...

Yeah, I probably am the minority as far as that goes. I do love having the option of a quality print from the phone though. I have a 4 yr old son, and you never know when they're going to do something you want to capture quickly. If it's a really well composed shot, it's cool to able to have a print to give to my Mom. She is sooooo not into computers. Not even an email address. She won't even by a smartphone. I've used the postagram app to send her stuff too.

I agree that even if it is a 5mp cam on the Nexus, Samsung will deliver with image quality. I trust them.

I'm concerned with the camera app to be honest. I would HATE for Google to drop a new OS with the same sub par camera app that they have been for some time.

I'm hoping for a good camera as well. That was one of the reasons of why I returned the Bionic.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't care if it's 3, 5,or 8 MP I just want to see a shot and press the shutter button and not have to wait three more seconds before the picture. Damn grandchildren won't sit still that long. I must say that I have alot of pictures and the back of their head is well documented.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
    Is anyone else really worried about the camera on the Nexus _____ ?

Honestly I take so many pictures with my phone and as a photographer the camera on the OG Droid really isn't cutting it (nor on my Incredible).

The camera has become a selling point for me on phones and here's to hoping that its much better than most of what we've seen on the Android front. I would take one that was equivalent to the one on the iPhone 4 (not-S).
    Because of the sensor size in phones the quality never will be as great as a dedicated camera, it can't capture enough light...... I think its good for occasional shots

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    humble 5.0

Unless you go iPhone and get one of THESE!

The iPhone SLR Mount

While it does look really slick, I'm 90% sure that the "bokeh" is photoshoped. In their dandelion pic the depth of field is so shallow that NONE of the flowers are in focus. LOL
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
    Because of the sensor size in phones the quality never will be as great as a dedicated camera, it can't capture enough light...... I think its good for occasional shots
    But honestly a lot of my photography friends switched to iPhone and dSLR only, dropping their S95s because the iPhone pictures were good enough for walkaround shooting.

That's really all I want --- the ability to leave my point and shoot at home.

Excellent camera quality is one of my new cellphone requirements. Ive been using it more and more and realize the importance.