Why does the phone have a bezel?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of wasted space, esp vertically. I thought the point of ICS was that buttons are software, so the screen can take up more of the device surface. There seems to be at least 1/2" bezel at the bottom of the phone. Its just like my Evo, except there are no hardware buttons so why is this space needed?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Not only that, but there are reports of an LED notification light below the screen in the bottom bezel (a lot like the Nexus One's LED Trackball).

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking at this rendering

http://static.itproportal.com/photos/samsung_nexus_prime_1.jpg

I don't see how you could get the bezel much smaller. You need an ear piece speaker very close to you ear for privacy so it needs to be on the front plus it needs to be of decent size for better sound quality. Any less around the other sides and you lose quite a bit of drop protection.

For that render, I agree. It can't get much smaller. But, it's only a render and not the actual phone. So, it really doesn't apply.

Reactions: Wiggy0211

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Looking at this rendering

http://static.itproportal.com/photos/samsung_nexus_prime_1.jpg

I don't see how you could get the bezel much smaller. You need an ear piece speaker very close to you ear for privacy so it needs to be on the front plus it needs to be of decent size for better sound quality. Any less around the other sides and you lose quite a bit of drop protection.

I think the bezel is a bit bigger on the actual phone.

Also, there's some rumors that suggest that part of the new UI may include off-screen gestures, like swiping up from the bezel area. And, if you're using it in landscape mode(playing a game for instance) you're gonna need some space to keep your palms and the bottoms of your thumbs from hitting the screen.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Also, there's some rumors that suggest that part of the new UI may include off-screen gestures, like swiping up from the bezel area. And, if you're using it in landscape mode(playing a game for instance) you're gonna need some space to keep your palms and the bottoms of your thumbs from hitting the screen.

I really hope there are gestures. Like swipe down to bring down notifications during games or apps that hide it. Please, Google we need to beat toast notifications and the copied notification center.

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Not only that, but there are reports of an LED notification light below the screen in the bottom bezel (a lot like the Nexus One's LED Trackball).

That would be awesome as well. I love the led track ball on the nexus one. It looks cooler than a standard led light.

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Based on what? The first leaked photo was a fake, and this render is based on the Samsung teaser trailer and the leaked video from last week. It may not bbe perfect, but it should be quite close.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Based on what? The first leaked photo was a fake, and this render is based on the Samsung teaser trailer and the leaked video from last week. It may not bbe perfect, but it should be quite close.

The teaser did not show the screen so the render means nothing.

ChillFactorz

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking OP was imagining, the Prime has the whole front of the phone as a Screen. And his dreams were dashed when he saw a un-official rendering of the device. BooHoo! Bezels can be their for many reasons, and a screen over the whole surface of the front, in theory sounds nice, BUT.... I would say the many reasons would drastically out weigh your ideals.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
*confused look* Man, how do you guys hold your phones?

X2. My palms, fingers, thumbs never touch the bezel/ chin unless there is a button to push there. When txting vertical my pinky holds the very bottom of the phone and thumb taps screen... when horizontal index fingers "frame" the outsides of phone and thumbs tap screen...? Is this not how everyone does it? The bezel isn't huge but it def could be smaller without causing me to hit the screen accidentally. I kinda think it looks bigger than it is in person too (*hoping*) especially that first leaked photo.