whats the deal on sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I herd and seen alot of rumors that this phone will not have a sd card slot..how true is that..I think if it doesn't that maybe the only thing that will turn me from this phone.. but not likely..just wanted to know what other people had seen or herd

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware, none of the recent speculations/leaks/rumours have mentioned their being an SD card slot. Beyond that all is speculation. It is possible that the inclusion of NFC may make SD Cards harder to fit in (without sacrificing thinness) since the Nexus S didn't have one but both galaxy S and S2 do. Maybe this is Google's way of gently pushing OEM's in the direction of onboard storage (since the nexus line is supposed to represent their "Vision" for Android) or maybe it's a pricepoint thing, one feature being sacrificed to keep the cost down.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
1. Cloud computing
2. Most dont need / use one
3. Make you pay to transfer data to another phone
4. 32 GB on board

Still, its too bad. Itd be nice to have

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
No SD card is not a big deal for me. I use Amazon Cloud and Google Music to store my music. As long has it has a decent amount of usable memory on board its a non-issue

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as I am aware, none of the recent speculations/leaks/rumours have mentioned their being an SD card slot. Beyond that all is speculation. It is possible that the inclusion of NFC may make SD Cards harder to fit in (without sacrificing thinness) since the Nexus S didn't have one but both galaxy S and S2 do. Maybe this is Google's way of gently pushing OEM's in the direction of onboard storage (since the nexus line is supposed to represent their "Vision" for Android) or maybe it's a pricepoint thing, one feature being sacrificed to keep the cost down.

Could be a possibility with your Google idea however I doubt I think it more of a manufacture choice. The Motorola xoom is a Google device that has a SD slot. But on that point Google honeycomb does not allow write to SD just read from, however outside the USA where Motorola supports the updates they have read and write. This has gave the xoom a lot of bad press, doesn't bother me but no write to SD without rooting is dumb.

Maybe Google doesn't want write to SD so Samsung said "why even have an SD slot then?"....

I can't wait till this thing comes out to see how stupid I feel with actual specs vs rumored.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would have been concerned until the orig. Droid, but never had to change out the card anyway, neither did any of my family on LG Allys or HTC (duh, the one prior to Thunderbolt, how soon we forget). So who cares now? Why waste the space?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
As other people stated, I really don't care now. Between Google Music and Amazon Cloud I really don't need a lot of local storage. I was one of the people waiting for class 10 32gb mico sdhc cards. They sat on them too long and lost my money.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been curious about this myself as I too have read about their not being an sd card slot. Though I'd never purchase an Apple product for personal reasons, with the new Iphone sporting 64gb internal I'm pretty jealous. Streaming music through cloud is all good but in my experience it takes a much bigger toll on battery life than media stored on the device. All in all it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally if there wasn't an sd card slot so long as I've got at least 32gb internal storage.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The rumored 32gb is more than enough for me. I have all my music on my classic ipod for my vehicle, and I typically only stream music via Google Music, Slacker Radio or iheartradio on my phone. The only android device I have that I wish had a SDcard is my Galaxy Tab 10.1 as I like to take it with me on the plane to watch movies and such.....and I wouldn't want to strain my eyes watching a movie on my phone.

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
LTE sucks down battery, I have little interest in Cloud streams... and frankly there is no upper limit on how much storage memory a phone could have...... Give me a phone with 10-Terabytes of data storage and I will find 10 Terabytes of crap to put on there to avoid using my data/modem and wasting potential data caps and battery power.....

I can probably live with 32GB total if there is no SD card, but I will certainly be looking to better deal this phone when a a phone launches 32GB on board, and allows a 32-128+GB SD card.

It's quite a shame this is even a topic of discussion.... Why can't these manufacturers just get their together and put out a phone with ALL the current tech in one package? Missing stupid things like an SD-Card slot, changeable batteries, or even something as small as a notification LED are endlessly frustrating, and sure to cost sales.....This phone has the potential to be "THAT PHONE" if it includes those features in addition to the other rumored stats.... I certainly hope Google/Samsung are up to the task

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I read on some forum or web site (don't remember which one) that Google was encouraging phone manufactures to increase the available internal storage on their devices and discontinue the use of the SD card. Think about it. On a PC or large mainframe computer the slowest part of any processing is moving data from a phsycial device to internal storage to CPU(Central processor)...so much so that on many mainframe computers when a call for I/O is issued the CPU will swap the application out and begin working on another application that has resident data in internal storage, and in doing so it lets I/O routines handle the data movement. The CPU will return to the application after the data has been read from the disk and moved into storage.... so from a performance standpoint it might make sense to increase on board storage and eliminate physical storage such as an SD card.

I don't care as long as I can transfer my data to my PC or other device.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this phone not having an SD card slot, way to many people use their phones as a camera and pop the SD card out at walmart and put it into the photo machine to print the pics. I agree at some point SD cards may go the way of the floppy disk, but I don't think it's gonna start now.

Something else to consider what was the last premium smartphone (other than an Iphone) to not have an SD card slot?

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
But would u b able to root and rom this phone as easily as my DROID x, samsung fascinate or bionic without a sd card slot? That's my biggest concern..also I don't use any of this cloud stuff u are talking about I just like having the sd card in ny phone cause I also use ny phone for a camera and stuff and just like having it somewhere other than a phone on internal storage and what if I do a factory reset? Do I lose everything

daemon#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But would u b able to root and rom this phone as easily as my DROID x, samsung fascinate or bionic without a sd card slot? That's my biggest concern..also I don't use any of this cloud stuff u are talking about I just like having the sd card in ny phone cause I also use ny phone for a camera and stuff and just like having it somewhere other than a phone on internal storage and what if I do a factory reset? Do I lose everything

I would assume that as this is a 'Dev' phone, that it will come unlocked/rooted to begin with.

Although, that does bring into question of factory wipes clearing everything. What happens to the backups, pics, and other non-ROM stuff in the memory when you reset it?

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
32GB internal should be enough for me. I always keep my phone topped off with a charger at the office and in the car, so I'm not worried about battery drain from accessing cloud storage. On a wifi-only tablet (or a limited data plan), it would be a different story. Because I use a tablet for lots movie watching, an SD card or at least USB host is a must.

On the other hand, with USB host capabilities coming to Android, you'll be able to use a USB thumb drive (with adapter).

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't see this phone not having an SD card slot, way to many people use their phones as a camera and pop the SD card out at walmart and put it into the photo machine to print the pics. I agree at some point SD cards may go the way of the floppy disk, but I don't think it's gonna start now.

Something else to consider what was the last premium smartphone (other than an Iphone) to not have an SD card slot?

Nexus S.

Reactions: Live2ride883
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463