Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree300Likes

Default Re: Verizon Launch Delayed..(rumors)

Quote Originally Posted by firelightx View Post
    Verizon's LTE network is notoriously hard to work with, proven by the massive delays of the Bionic, or the Thunderbolt and Charge's initial issues. All signs, if you ask me, that Verizon's LTE wasn't quite ready for the public rollout in general.
    I don't know if it shows that they weren't ready for prime time, but I agree that LTE integration seems to have challenged OEMs, given the delays seen in almost every LTE smartphone to date.

The persistent battery life issues is just another point against it. So it's entirely possible that the LTE version for Verizon is suffering from an issue or two.
    The battery life issues are just a physics problem - fabrication of sufficiently small (and therefore more efficient) transistors hasn't got to the point it needs to be to deliver 24 hour battery life from an LTE radio. If there aren't major delays we should start seeing those next summer (although, alas, Apple may get their first, with their deep pockets and production-hogging purchasing power).

I suppose you could also look at the lack of progress on battery technology - we've only seen small incremental improvements the last half decade. Lots of promising new technologies, but none of them have made it to market yet.
    danman7 likes this.

It definitely would explain why we haven't seen the CDMA/LTE version go through the FCC yet... and also maybe why the announcement was delayed in the first place.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky317 View Post
    It definitely would explain why we haven't seen the CDMA/LTE version go through the FCC yet... and also maybe why the announcement was delayed in the first place.
    Whoa! Hold on a minute, it hasn't gone through the FCC yet? You've got to be kidding me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Csdaytona View Post
    Whoa! Hold on a minute, it hasn't gone through the FCC yet? You've got to be kidding me.....
    Remember that the 4S went through the FCC a week before it was released.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

The Nexus has been my target for awhile. A long while. I really want to get the device, and I'm sure I'll wait it out and get it. But I do have to say, honestly, that each day it's pushed past the 10th or so, the Razr is going to look that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig618 View Post
    The Nexus has been my target for awhile. A long while. I really want to get the device, and I'm sure I'll wait it out and get it. But I do have to say, honestly, that each day it's pushed past the 10th or so, the Razr is going to look that much better.
    Yes! This is exactly the way I'm feeling. I need a new phone like a month ago and that RAZR looks so damn good. If for whatever reason the Nexus is not at the level that Verizon expects, I wouldn't put it past Verizon to just scrap the whole launch.

Global Posts
    1,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by 916ninja View Post
    In some places, vzw is the worst. Can't totally discount those places. For many of us who have vzw it's because it is the heat where we live and for the most part use our phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    lol, yes I'm sure in some areas they might be, but overall they are the biggest and best in coverage

now they have easily the fastest data network and it covers half the population of the country

It's a crime to say it should go to Sprint (who'll be out of business in a few years) and T-Mo (who is also struggling so much that DT wants to ditch them to AT&T).

ROM
    AOKP M5

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig618 View Post
    Exactly. If the Nexus isn't announced before Nov 10 I am getting the Razr. The only think I will miss is the 720p screen. Coming from a blackberry anything will be great
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobaroo View Post
    Exactly. If the Nexus isn't announced before Nov 10 I am getting the Razr. The only think I will miss is the 720p screen. Coming from a blackberry anything will be great
    lol. yea I remember those BB days.. I cant believe how much I loved mine.. crackberry was so fitting backing then..
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x

Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx View Post
    lol. yea I remember those BB days.. I cant believe how much I loved mine.. crackberry was so fitting backing then..
    Ditto here. I thought I was seriously hot sh...t when I got my first BB. I strutted around with that thing in my hand for all to see.

Then I got the Droid X <3.

Katherine

From the sounds of a few of the boys from MyDroidWorld on twitter, things aren't very promising--either no subsidized price or perhaps not at all...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Getting this bad feeling this phone aint coming to Verizon, i just keep think about the Merge, delays on the Bonic, SMH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by weave majjik View Post
    From the sounds of a few of the boys from MyDroidWorld on twitter, things aren't very promising--either no subsidized price or perhaps not at all...
    I guess it would be "hello Sprint" then. Probably better battery life too...

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    I guess it would be "hello Sprint" then. Probably better battery life too...
    I've always said I wouldn't leave a carrier over a phone. I've been with Verizon (or a previous incarnarion) roughly 16 years. I have had 5 lines with them for almost 10 years. And this particular phone/feature set has me debating my exit strategy through contract attrition over the next year. I'm quite honestly tired of not being able to have the best phone AND network. It's a tough call for me, but I'm almost with you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by weave majjik View Post
    I've always said I wouldn't leave a carrier over a phone. I've been with Verizon (or a previous incarnarion) roughly 16 years. I have had 5 lines with them for almost 10 years. And this particular phone/feature set has me debating my exit strategy through contract attrition over the next year. I'm quite honestly tired of not being able to have the best phone AND network. It's a tough call for me, but I'm almost with you.
    I've always said the same thing - for the first 6-7 years of my decade with Verizon I didn't even have a choice (rural area with only Verizon) and I've been grateful for their excellent network. But it's no longer just one phone for me...there has simply never been a Nexus phone on Verizon, and if they screw it up I have little reason to think they ever will, and that's not a choice I'm willing to live with.

At this point I'd even take a 3G version over no version at all (I get to spend lots of time with fast wifi during my days), although I was/am really looking forward to some yummy Nexus ICS at LTE speeds. I get that the ball may be in Samsung's court, but let's hope everything is being done to fix and ship it then.

SGS2 all over again....

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

idk why this company (vzw) continues to f--- up like this.

if they didn't have a solid network they would of gone to hell years ago.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts

Everyone's overthinking this. You guys are all crazy if you think Verizon is going to walk away from being a launch partner on a phone that will showcase best of breed technology from Google and Samsung while giving them a platform to showcase their exceptional LTE network.

Hardware wise, Samsung has already proven they can build and deploy a few LTE devices for Verizon, and I have little reason to doubt Samsung's ability to repeat this.

The worst case scenario is a technical delay because of software (and that's something you can push), or contract issues at the 11th hour. Samsung probably has hundreds of thousands of these phones already built (they'd need to judging by the early marketing materials pushing for early November), and Verizon's probably dumped a few million into testing and technical acceptance, in addition to another few million dollars into staging the marketing for this phone. Google engineers are using Verizon domestically for their GN phones as well, so there's no doubt been extensive cost sunk into technical acceptance testing from Google as well.

In a tough financial year, you'd have to be a business dunce to say it's acceptable to walk away from tens of millions in sunk costs and forecasted revenues 10x that. This is a Nexus phone -- a halo phone for Android. A botched launch on a Nexus device is brand damaging.

My guess: Verizon wants to hold their own launch event with fanfare and heavy domestic press. We'll see some leaked press invite in the next 1-2 weeks for their GN launch event, and the pre-order link will go up 24 hrs later. Hundreds of VZW GN phones will be handed out to the media, we'll have 2 weeks to read in-depth reviews, analyze it to death and obsess about our orders. Phones will launch on-time... arriving in the mail a day early for those that pre-ordered online, and in-stores on the 10th/11th.

Then everyone will find their first bug and the honeymoon is over. In 8 months you'll find a reason to hate your phone. Time for the next Nexus device. Rinse, repeat.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post

Here's the saddest part for me:
    I live in a big city, and Verizon is the only carrier that could make this a great experience for me.
    I had sprint and coverage was good. When I moved down here, I didn't get service in my apartment or at work... I put up with it for a bit, but nothing got better so I switched to verizon before the tiered data and it was amazing. I'm in a LTE area and that was just gravy (as well as me getting a discount). My phone works great at work and everywhere I've been (had verizon in the past and loved the service, just not the price). T-mobile sucks here. Very patchy and the 4G my sister brags about is on par with Verizon's 3G speeds (seriously, its bad down here). Att has tiered data and the way I use my phone, I'd eat through the 2GB in no time. Metro PCS has the nickname MetroPOS (despite the fact that they were the first to have an LTE phone and we were a 1st day rollout market). I love my thunderbolt, and I guess I could live with it. I would like an AOSP experience though.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

I think we're all overreacting...I have a feeling if we sit and wait a little while longer, this will all unwind itself.
    Thanked by 2:
    danman7 likes this.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i dont think its over reacting

VZW screws up everything they touch. The thunderbolt was a disaster, the bionic was a disaster, EVERY carrier except them got some version of the SGSII. To date, they don't have a solid 4g phone that isn't plagued with issues.

Why the carrier is allowed to mess with the OS at all is beyond me. I've always wanted to ask a senior rep, is bloatware really worth it?!, do you guys really make that much money off it that its worth pissing off a lot of your customers.

VZW should focus on one thing and one thing only, providing the device access to voice/data networks, don't touch the OS, no one likes it when you mess with the OS. their meddling with the thunderbolt made a highly anticipated device into a total POS.

even worse is this total disconnect between their customers and upper management, those idiots are cluless... again, if it wasn't for their network, they would of been toast years ago.
    Snareman likes this.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

awful lot of chaos about an issue panda said doesnt exist
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    Thanked by:
    ManBearPig618 likes this.

VZW should focus on one thing and one thing only, providing the device access to voice/data networks, don't touch the OS, no one likes it when you mess with the OS. their meddling with the thunderbolt made a highly anticipated device into a total POS.
    Verizon won't do that willingly - they're terrified about suffering lower margins if they only concentrate on their network. They don't want to become a "dump pipe" company.

Of course I'd argue that if you don't want to be a dumb pipe company, you should get out of the business of laying pipes...

But TitansJonne is right - Panda says it's more an issue of making adjustments on Samsung's end right now, and I'm sure Samsung wants to fix the problem. So while it's clearly hardball time (i.e. "fix it or else") that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm willing to proffer tacit optimism for the moment, with the threat of carrying the big "there are other carriers" stick if they fail to come through.

F up like how? You are hearing rumors and running with them smh.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ejaymd11 View Post
    F up like how? You are hearing rumors and running with them smh.
    I'm not basing anything on rumor. I'm basing it on a clear pattern in regards to vzw screwing up device releases. Lets examine some of them:

-Motorola Xoom- when I bought mine I was told 90 days and it would be upgrade to 4G. It took more than double that.

-Thunderbolt- horrible launch, device still plagued by numerous bugs.

-Bionic-again horrible launch, and again lots of problems (step into the bionic forum here and look for yourself)

-They are the only carrier that didn't get the SGSII

This stuff is all recent, its not like i'm picking irrelevant issues from the past. They suck when it comes to dealing with devices. I don't mean to sound biased, i'll give VZW credit were they deserve it. The only thing they can do right is maintain a superior network, but they suck at handling devices and the reason why is because they mess with the software to squeeze out extra avenues of revenue.

This isn't a new thing for them either, they have been doing this before smartphones. Remember when vzw had that brew OS "get it now". They force installed that OS on every device and it made them all worse. Take for example the original razr. There was a version sold on ATT and one sold on VZW. The ATT version had an OS made by Moto for the phone. The VZW version had their brew OS. It caused significant problems and made the phone inferior to its ATT counterpart.

The only reason they did so is to control the software/functionality of the device and only allow content sold/controlled by them to work on the device. They did it out of greed and to be honest, I dont get why, I NEVER bought anything from 'get it now' and I cant imagine many people did.

VZW should focus on maintaining its network advantage and leave device/OS issues to the companies that make the devices. They need to realize that they are network operators and not content providers.
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast