Verizon Launch Delayed..(rumors)

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's LTE network is notoriously hard to work with, proven by the massive delays of the Bionic, or the Thunderbolt and Charge's initial issues. All signs, if you ask me, that Verizon's LTE wasn't quite ready for the public rollout in general.

I don't know if it shows that they weren't ready for prime time, but I agree that LTE integration seems to have challenged OEMs, given the delays seen in almost every LTE smartphone to date.

The persistent battery life issues is just another point against it. So it's entirely possible that the LTE version for Verizon is suffering from an issue or two.

The battery life issues are just a physics problem - fabrication of sufficiently small (and therefore more efficient) transistors hasn't got to the point it needs to be to deliver 24 hour battery life from an LTE radio. If there aren't major delays we should start seeing those next summer (although, alas, Apple may get their first, with their deep pockets and production-hogging purchasing power).

I suppose you could also look at the lack of progress on battery technology - we've only seen small incremental improvements the last half decade. Lots of promising new technologies, but none of them have made it to market yet.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
It definitely would explain why we haven't seen the CDMA/LTE version go through the FCC yet... and also maybe why the announcement was delayed in the first place.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus has been my target for awhile. A long while. I really want to get the device, and I'm sure I'll wait it out and get it. But I do have to say, honestly, that each day it's pushed past the 10th or so, the Razr is going to look that much better.

Csdaytona

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus has been my target for awhile. A long while. I really want to get the device, and I'm sure I'll wait it out and get it. But I do have to say, honestly, that each day it's pushed past the 10th or so, the Razr is going to look that much better.
Yes! This is exactly the way I'm feeling. I need a new phone like a month ago and that RAZR looks so damn good. If for whatever reason the Nexus is not at the level that Verizon expects, I wouldn't put it past Verizon to just scrap the whole launch.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
In some places, vzw is the worst. Can't totally discount those places. For many of us who have vzw it's because it is the heat where we live and for the most part use our phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lol, yes I'm sure in some areas they might be, but overall they are the biggest and best in coverage

now they have easily the fastest data network and it covers half the population of the country

It's a crime to say it should go to Sprint (who'll be out of business in a few years) and T-Mo (who is also struggling so much that DT wants to ditch them to AT&T).

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. If the Nexus isn't announced before Nov 10 I am getting the Razr. The only think I will miss is the 720p screen. Coming from a blackberry anything will be great

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. If the Nexus isn't announced before Nov 10 I am getting the Razr. The only think I will miss is the 720p screen. Coming from a blackberry anything will be great

lol. yea I remember those BB days.. I cant believe how much I loved mine.. crackberry was so fitting backing then..

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
lol. yea I remember those BB days.. I cant believe how much I loved mine.. crackberry was so fitting backing then..

Ditto here. I thought I was seriously hot sh...t when I got my first BB. I strutted around with that thing in my hand for all to see.

Then I got the Droid X <3.

Katherine

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
From the sounds of a few of the boys from MyDroidWorld on twitter, things aren't very promising--either no subsidized price or perhaps not at all...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess it would be "hello Sprint" then. Probably better battery life too...

I've always said I wouldn't leave a carrier over a phone. I've been with Verizon (or a previous incarnarion) roughly 16 years. I have had 5 lines with them for almost 10 years. And this particular phone/feature set has me debating my exit strategy through contract attrition over the next year. I'm quite honestly tired of not being able to have the best phone AND network. It's a tough call for me, but I'm almost with you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've always said I wouldn't leave a carrier over a phone. I've been with Verizon (or a previous incarnarion) roughly 16 years. I have had 5 lines with them for almost 10 years. And this particular phone/feature set has me debating my exit strategy through contract attrition over the next year. I'm quite honestly tired of not being able to have the best phone AND network. It's a tough call for me, but I'm almost with you.

I've always said the same thing - for the first 6-7 years of my decade with Verizon I didn't even have a choice (rural area with only Verizon) and I've been grateful for their excellent network. But it's no longer just one phone for me...there has simply never been a Nexus phone on Verizon, and if they screw it up I have little reason to think they ever will, and that's not a choice I'm willing to live with.

At this point I'd even take a 3G version over no version at all (I get to spend lots of time with fast wifi during my days), although I was/am really looking forward to some yummy Nexus ICS at LTE speeds. I get that the ball may be in Samsung's court, but let's hope everything is being done to fix and ship it then.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Everyone's overthinking this. You guys are all crazy if you think Verizon is going to walk away from being a launch partner on a phone that will showcase best of breed technology from Google and Samsung while giving them a platform to showcase their exceptional LTE network.

Hardware wise, Samsung has already proven they can build and deploy a few LTE devices for Verizon, and I have little reason to doubt Samsung's ability to repeat this.

The worst case scenario is a technical delay because of software (and that's something you can push), or contract issues at the 11th hour. Samsung probably has hundreds of thousands of these phones already built (they'd need to judging by the early marketing materials pushing for early November), and Verizon's probably dumped a few million into testing and technical acceptance, in addition to another few million dollars into staging the marketing for this phone. Google engineers are using Verizon domestically for their GN phones as well, so there's no doubt been extensive cost sunk into technical acceptance testing from Google as well.

In a tough financial year, you'd have to be a business dunce to say it's acceptable to walk away from tens of millions in sunk costs and forecasted revenues 10x that. This is a Nexus phone -- a halo phone for Android. A botched launch on a Nexus device is brand damaging.

My guess: Verizon wants to hold their own launch event with fanfare and heavy domestic press. We'll see some leaked press invite in the next 1-2 weeks for their GN launch event, and the pre-order link will go up 24 hrs later. Hundreds of VZW GN phones will be handed out to the media, we'll have 2 weeks to read in-depth reviews, analyze it to death and obsess about our orders. Phones will launch on-time... arriving in the mail a day early for those that pre-ordered online, and in-stores on the 10th/11th.

Then everyone will find their first bug and the honeymoon is over. In 8 months you'll find a reason to hate your phone. Time for the next Nexus device. Rinse, repeat.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
idk why this company (vzw) continues to f--- up like this.

if they didn't have a solid network they would of gone to hell years ago.

Here's the saddest part for me:
I live in a big city, and Verizon is the only carrier that could make this a great experience for me.
I had sprint and coverage was good. When I moved down here, I didn't get service in my apartment or at work... I put up with it for a bit, but nothing got better so I switched to verizon before the tiered data and it was amazing. I'm in a LTE area and that was just gravy (as well as me getting a discount). My phone works great at work and everywhere I've been (had verizon in the past and loved the service, just not the price). T-mobile sucks here. Very patchy and the 4G my sister brags about is on par with Verizon's 3G speeds (seriously, its bad down here). Att has tiered data and the way I use my phone, I'd eat through the 2GB in no time. Metro PCS has the nickname MetroPOS (despite the fact that they were the first to have an LTE phone and we were a 1st day rollout market). I love my thunderbolt, and I guess I could live with it. I would like an AOSP experience though.