1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Default simultaneous 3g data and voice

I have a question. Since not all of the United States is covered with LTE which has simultaneous voice and data, will the GN have it in when in a 3g coverage area?

My Tbolt has it and I find myself using that convenience all the time.

Default Re: simultaneous 3g data and voice

3G Data + Voice simultaneously can be done on HSPA networks.

LTE, yes.

But not on normal CDMA networks.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by infernalman7 View Post

LTE, yes.

not true...

if it has EVDO Rev. A, like the HTC thunderbolt

then it can do simultaneous voice/data on both the 4G network and the 3G network
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    not true...

then it can do simultaneous voice/data on both the 4G network and the 3G network
    That's what I'm asking. Will it have the same capabilities as the Tbolt on vzw's 3g rev a ehrpd network?

SVDO is what it's missing

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I dont see any reason why its cant..

from what I read it routes the call on the 1X connection and then allows data on the evdo connection

not to sure but you can read for yourself..

T bolt was the only one that ever had the capability so far.
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    not true...

Not quite. The Thunderbolt has a unique radio solution not seen in any other device yet, and will likely not be seen in the Galaxy Nexus. All LTE devices sans the Thunderbolt handle cdma voice and data on one radio, and LTE on a second. This allows 4G to transmit at the same time as voice is active, but not 3G and voice.

The Thunderbolt has voice on one radio, and 3G +LTE on the second radio. This is what allows simultaneous voice and data regardless of data network you are using.

tl;dr version:

Unless the Galaxy Nexus was sporting the same radios as the Thunderbolt, its almost 100% guaranteed you will not see 3G and voice at the same time.
    Thanked by 2:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
    Not quite. The Thunderbolt has a unique radio solution not seen in any other device yet, and will likely not be seen in the Galaxy Nexus. All LTE devices sans the Thunderbolt handle cdma voice and data on one radio, and LTE on a second. This allows 4G to transmit at the same time as voice is active, but not 3G and voice.

The Thunderbolt has voice on one radio, and 3G +LTE on the second radio. This is what allows simultaneous voice and data regardless of data network you are using.

tl;dr version:

Unless the Galaxy Nexus was sporting the same radios as the Thunderbolt, its almost 100% guaranteed you will not see 3G and voice at the same time.
    Adrynalyne, as usual you have the answer and I appreciate it. Thank u.

The Rezound/Vigor is expected to have this feature based on the FCC docs.

Sent from my DroidX using Tapatalk

On another HTC only thing. Do any other android based software phones have word wrap, where the page reconfigures when you zoom in without it being wider then the screen? Can do it on my T Bolt
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edgefever View Post
    On another HTC only thing. Do any other android based software phones have word wrap, where the page reconfigures when you zoom in without it being wider then the screen? Can do it on my T Bolt
    The only android phone I've ever had has been a HTC. I thought all android phones did it.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Looks like the answer is no. It's kind of sad because this is a sweet feature. However, this probably does not do your battery life any favors. My hope is the lte reach is such that it should be OK. Plus, you should be able to do both on wifi at home. Tbolt is in a class alone in this regard.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edgefever View Post
    Yupper. Samsung phones do the automatic text wrapping when pinch-zooming. Touchwiz takes care of that. It's amazing to me that Android doesn't do this natively as we approach the end of 2011, still. Bugs me a bit, oh well. Maybe in Jellybean :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    Yupper. Samsung phones do the automatic text wrapping when pinch-zooming. Touchwiz takes care of that. It's amazing to me that Android doesn't do this natively as we approach the end of 2011, still. Bugs me a bit, oh well. Maybe in Jellybean :-)

So are you saying that stock android ICS won't have that?

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by infernalman7 View Post

LTE, yes.

Incorrect. My thunderbolt does it on SVDO.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    My DX did that, except it required a double tap after you zoomed. The TBolt is automatic. I like the automatic feature a lot. But as long as the double tap thing works I'm cool with it. Hell my iPad running iOS 5 I'm typing on right now can't do it at all. One of the many many things I dislike about this "magical" device.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet300 View Post
    My DX did that, except it required a double tap after you zoomed. The TBolt is automatic. I like the automatic feature a lot. But as long as the double tap thing works I'm cool with it. Hell my iPad running iOS 5 I'm typing on right now can't do it at all. One of the many many things I dislike about this "magical" device.

My wife's 4s stinks without it.