VVM on Verizon is a Negative

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is one thing that kills me with androids on Verizon and is a hindrance for me getting the Galaxy Nexus. Visual Voicemail, why does Verizon charge $2.99 a month for this? Sprint's, visual voicemail is free on all devices. It comes standard on all iPhones on every carrier.

I know there are some that will say just use Google Voice, but that is just not good enough. It should come standard. Why do I have to use a workaround with Google Voice?

During the Galaxy Nexus introduction they showed Visual Voicemail intergration but of coarse it was GV.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
With Google Voice you have to go through the process of forwarding your phone number to Google Voice to use the Voicemail feature. Simple enough, I just don't see why added steps are necessary when they are not. Sprint is free Visual Voicemail and all iPhones have it free.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry your complaint is kinda lame. GoogleVoice is a must have. Unlimited text from your computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, can listen to all your voicemails from those devices, custom greeting messages based on who is calling, and it's all free. Google Voice is far beyond visual voicemail so don't put it in the same category. Oh and it's free.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think ICS has native Visual Voicemail now, doesn't it? Pretty sure they showed it off in their presentation.

Sent from my ADR6400L

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What I am saying is why, why do I have to use it? Why with Verizon and Android do I have to use a work around. Dial * something or another to send my voicemails to GV so that I receive visual voicemail.

Google Voice is nice and all, but I honestly don't like using it for anything but my other business line.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand the problem. It's not like you have to dial a separate number to access your voicemails, and you also don't have to hand out a second number for anyone to dial. You set up Google Voice once and then from that point forward it is completely transparent.

This is simply complaining just to complain.

Reactions: greydarrah

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I love google voice. I have customized emails for my clients and family & friends. What's nice is, it will work even better on the Galaxy Nexus because it will be integrated within the visual voicemail on the phone.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I still don't understand the problem. It's not like you have to dial a separate number to access your voicemails, and you also don't have to hand out a second number for anyone to dial. You set up Google Voice once and then from that point forward it is completely transparent.

This is simply complaining just to complain.

Gonna have to agree with this. Complaining for the sake of complaining.

It has nothing to do with Android. You would have to do the same for any phone that doesn't support VVM, or if you din't want to pay for it.

I say deal with it, find another phone, or find another phone + carrier.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ummm what exactly is the problem here? You get your Galaxy Nexus, and you continue to pay the $3 a month you have been paying, and that's it. Unless you weren't on Verizon earlier, in which you stay on your carrier and get the GNex.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought that the integrated VVM in ICS is Google Voice, meaning if you install it you will get all of the VVM features shown off in ICS. It is completely transparent after you dial a number once to set it up, and if you really don't like using it then no one is making you.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
The only thing stopping me from porting my VZW # to GV (it can be done without an ETF), is the lack of MMS support. Its in the works as far as I know.

Once that happens... Ill be porting and be able to save myself over $100 a year by dropping Verizon's SMS.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to port your number to use all the free texting. Just give out your new Google number to people as your new number. O personally don't do that but have heard of others doing this.

Thanks, Robrecht

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to port your number to use all the free texting. Just give out your new Google number to people as your new number. O personally don't do that but have heard of others doing this.

Thanks, Robrecht

Thats the way to do it ... AND, if its the case, you still get to keep unlimited data.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry your complaint is kinda lame. GoogleVoice is a must have. Unlimited text from your computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, can listen to all your voicemails from those devices, custom greeting messages based on who is calling, and it's all free. Google Voice is far beyond visual voicemail so don't put it in the same category. Oh and it's free.

Can someone explain how this works? I have a google voice number. Do I have to forward to my cell or port my mobile number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa