Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaPoets
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

Default Creative swapping

OK, I have a Bionic at this time. My coworker wants to buy it, as I am offering a great deal on all of hte accessories I have purchased so far.

We negotiated a deal where she will buy a Nexus with her upgrade, then activate my Bionic and I activate the new Nexus.

It seems easy to do if we order online, to keep the VZW store team out of the transaction. Then I can activate the new device on my account then activate the Bionic on her account.

Any issues you think I would encounter here?

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM

Default Re: Creative swapping

Do either one of you have an additional "back up" phone not currently active on any account? If so, she could buy the G-Nex on-contract, but activate the back up phone on the line she just upgraded. Then she gives you G-Nex, you activate it on your Bionic line, thus freeing the Bionic. She then activates your Bionic on her line. Easy enough?

Bryan

ROM
    JellyBean! Franco Kernel

She should be able to use the phone that she is upgrading from as the "back up" phone. I would imagine what you'll have to do is have her get the Galaxy Nexus but keep her old phone activated. Then you active the Nexus on your account, thus deactivating the Bionic. She then can activate the Bionic and all is good.

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

Clearly she gets the Galaxy Nexus and it's awesomeness slaps her in the face a few times and decides to keep it.
    Hosehead and Live2ride883 like this.

You might be able to just swap SIM cards. I traded a thunderbolt for a charge with one of my friends and all we had to do was remove the sim cards and put them in the other phone. Didn't have to call anyone or activate any other phones.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by hyminameisderek View Post
    She should be able to use the phone that she is upgrading from as the "back up" phone. I would imagine what you'll have to do is have her get the Galaxy Nexus but keep her old phone activated. Then you active the Nexus on your account, thus deactivating the Bionic. She then can activate the Bionic and all is good.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I cannot imagine they would care what phone she activated, as long as they get her locked in to a new contract for 2 years, right?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    JellyBean! Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I cannot imagine they would care what phone she activated, as long as they get her locked in to a new contract for 2 years, right?
    yea, that won't matter. You aren't doing anything illegal. My buddy just signed his sister up on his plan and had her get the Droid Bionic with her new contract, he then gave her his Droid X2 and took the Bionic. All of this, he did at the Verizon store, no problems.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

yeah Verizon is actually pretty helpful in this, I did that when the original Droid came out. My cousin ordered it, then I called Verizon and the helpful CSR swapped our phones in a few minutes.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead View Post
    OK, I have a Bionic at this time. My coworker wants to buy it, as I am offering a great deal on all of hte accessories I have purchased so far.

We negotiated a deal where she will buy a Nexus with her upgrade, then activate my Bionic and I activate the new Nexus.

It seems easy to do if we order online, to keep the VZW store team out of the transaction. Then I can activate the new device on my account then activate the Bionic on her account.

Any issues you think I would encounter here?
    If I were you I would do it at a store. What you're doing is not illegal and is not frowned upon in any way.
    Device : Galaxy Nexus
    Build : 4.0.3 IML74K
    Kernel: 3.0.8-g490ff3

Be careful. Make sure the "extra" phone is a smartphone. If you put your number on a dumb phone, even though its just temporary, you will lose your unlimited data if you are grandfathered.

I was told this at a VZW store.

Wow people are making this seem way more complicated than it is.

If your friend orders the Galaxy Nexus online they get the phone un-activated from verizon/any retailer. You take that into the store and have it activated on your line.

Then you give your friend your Bionic and they activate it.

That way, you are just swapping phones (no risk of losing unlimited).

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OhioG View Post
    Wow people are making this seem way more complicated than it is.

If your friend orders the Galaxy Nexus online they get the phone un-activated from verizon/any retailer. You take that into the store and have it activated on your line.

Then you give your friend your Bionic and they activate it.

That way, you are just swapping phones (no risk of losing unlimited).
    LOL you say others are making it complicated when yours is actually complicated. No need to bring it into the store. Just dial *228 and follow the instructions. Literally takes 2 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by kamek89 View Post
    LOL you say others are making it complicated when yours is actually complicated. No need to bring it into the store. Just dial *228 and follow the instructions. Literally takes 2 minutes
    *228 isn't necessary with a SIM.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    *228 isn't necessary with a SIM.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    I do it all the time with my sisters Blackberry Storm since she keeps switching phones. Either way you can call customer service to activate it if *228 doesn't work (but I've never had a problem wiuth *228)

Yeah the blackberry storm doesn't use a SIM though so that's probably why you have to call *228. It's nice to know that now all you have to do is switch SIM cards.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Also she will need a new sim. The nexus will be using a micro sim. So u either cut ur bionic sim. And do not use 228 it will fry the sim
    Thanked by:

so excuse my ignorance, but I thought that because Verizon is cdma, they don't require sim cards?
    I have never had a sim card in any of my Verizon phones.

4g sim card

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Also she will need a new sim. The nexus will be using a micro sim. So u either cut ur bionic sim. And do not use 228 it will fry the sim
    I just remembered when I went with my friend to get his Tbolt,the lady said u can't do *228 on 4g devices or it will mess the device up. Good info!
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Yep I learned hard way had to get new card.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamek89 View Post
    I just remembered when I went with my friend to get his Tbolt,the lady said u can't do *228 on 4g devices or it will mess the device up. Good info!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...