Will Galaxy Nexus have GPS Fixed?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Now that's cleared up how about the wifi. The sgs2 was supposedly bad and the GN uses the exact same module. BCM4330.....or we can wait for it to come out and find out...

That, I can agree with. Most samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module.
Edit: Excuse me, let me rephrase that. Most Samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module COMPARED to other smartphones. The Wifi range is still fairly good but other smartphone manufacturers have managed to have crazy Wifi range with their modules. So by all means, Samsung's wifi module isn't really gimped, just gimped when compared to others (not sure if that makes sense haha).

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That, I can agree with. Most samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module.
Edit: Excuse me, let me rephrase that. Most Samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module COMPARED to other smartphones. The Wifi range is still fairly good but other smartphone manufacturers have managed to have crazy Wifi range with their modules. So by all means, Samsung's wifi module isn't really gimped, just gimped when compared to others (not sure if that makes sense haha).

I agree. Samsung is going to use that single band module again...oh well....my moto xoom on the other hand I have to turn wifi off when I leave the house or it keeps trying to connect to my router when I'm sitting around the corner waiting for the car to warm up....probably 150-200 yards NOT line of sight...lol

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has ALWAYS had a GPS issue. I had an omnia I910 windows mobile 6 phone and the GPS is useless... I was in Italy alot lol (just kidding, but my gps always put me there)

Don't forget its got a barameter (sp?) So maybe Google had a reason for putting it on there.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has ALWAYS had a GPS issue. I had an omnia I910 windows mobile 6 phone and the GPS is useless... I was in Italy alot lol (just kidding, but my gps always put me there)

Don't forget its got a barameter (sp?) So maybe Google had a reason for putting it on there.

what about the recent Samsung phones? namely the S2?

AFAIK, there isn't any issue with S2's GPS function

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Again, stop with the doubts. This is like the opposite of Apple's distortion field...

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've also heard Samsung has absolutely horrible GPS.

Will probably avoid this phone because it most likely won't be fixed.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Based on my own personal experience, I think the OP asks a valid question. I went through so many Fascinate's trying to get one that had working GPS, that I finally gave up. I travel approximately 50% of the time and there's nothing more frustrating than opening up Google Nav and watching the blinking GPS icon flash for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it locked instantly, but the majority of the time it didn't. We all have different needs, but my top 2 are GPS and a decent speaker phone. That said, my Thunderbolt wasn't any better, so it's not fair to say it's a Samsung problem. Then there's those who say it was a non issue for them; which led me to try more exchanges thinking maybe I got a bad one. After 4 of them I gave up. This is an incredibly long read, but I think this article partially explains what happened:

How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings | The Verge

If you can't get through it, at least scroll down to the Samsung section.

Because this phone is running ICS, and Google is Samsung's customer, I'd be surprised if the Galaxy Nexus was released with GPS problems. Nav and maps are a core product of Google's. I'm certain GPS will be stellar. The real answer will be in this forum once it ships.

I was also excited to see that the Galaxy S II Epic locked quickly and accurately.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Valid concern that won't be addressed until the phone is actually released. It's a question that can not be answered yet.

BTW, the GPS on my wife's Fascinate GPS works fine. My VZ Pre Plus, not so well.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anybody will be able to answer the OPs question since nobody except tester have used the device as a daily driver yet. I am sure GPS will be fine, Samsung has come a long way with their devices since they started. Not too sure but I don't think I have heard any issues about the SGS2 having GPS issues like the SGS did. Anyway again not too sure if the issue was hardware or software related but this device will be AOSP and all the other devices that had issues were TouchWiz so maybe this will come into play also. I wouldn't worry about it Google and Samsung have put a lot into this device. After all this device is pretty much the holy grail of Android!!!! Everybody who's into Android wants a Nexus and if they tell you otherwise they're lying!

I have the Sprint Galaxy S2 - Epic Touch. The GPS is atrocious and utterly unreliable. I had never experienced this with any of many HTC phones. I don't even try to us it.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
That's what I said, the SGS was pretty much the only Samsung phones with GPS problems...

That's absolutely not true. The epic touch I am typing this message on has bad GPS issues that have me a half mile away from my actaul location consistently. I have seen many complaints about the Charge GPS issues as well. All you have to do is check the forums, you will see for yourself. This is the only phone with bad GPS and my first Samsung. Even most of those who get there God to work have to perform a work around. I use to hear about the Galaxy S gps issues and couldn't fathom how that was possible. Sadly, I know now. My phone is great but has a bad GPS and heating up problem.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It really seems like Samsung has a bad rep with GPS. You heard things like:
I'm gonna get the SGS2 but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the SGS!
And look what we have here, we got a perfectly functioning GPS on it.

Yet you don't hear things like:
I'm gonna get the HTC Holiday but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the Inspire!
And the Holiday will most likely have good GPS as bad GPSes aren't much of a common problem for high end phones.

The point is that I wouldn't base my judgement of a phone off the older version because, well, that's why they make a newer version in the first place: to improve on issues that the last generation had.

I wish what you said was true, the GPS on my Samsung GS2 is horrible to the point of being useless. If I reset the phone enough times and stay in the same location for a while it actually finds my correct location. Usually it gives me the location from the day before. The funny thing is it got a perfect lock when I nervously checked it about twenty minutes after I bought the phone. That was one of the few times I have gotten a true reading. I did notice that it is wrong but consistently wrong.
For instance when I check it at home it always give me the same neighborhood a half mile away. At work it consistently gives the same spot a half of a mile out in the river...lol...

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
My droid charge has pathetic GPS which makes Google Maps Navigation almost unusable. Sometimes it will lockin within 2-5 minutes, other times not for 20 minutes, it's pathetic. If this phone doesn't have a good GPS, I won't be purchasing it. It's absolutely ridiculous to not have such a basic thing solid by now. I use Google Maps navigation just about everyday at work so it is essential for my next phone.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish what you said was true, the GPS on my Samsung GS2 is horrible to the point of being useless. If I reset the phone enough times and stay in the same location for a while it actually finds my correct location. Usually it gives me the location from the day before. The funny thing is it got a perfect lock when I nervously checked it about twenty minutes after I bought the phone. That was one of the few times I have gotten a true reading. I did notice that it is wrong but consistently wrong.
For instance when I check it at home it always give me the same neighborhood a half mile away. At work it consistently gives the same spot a half of a mile out in the river...lol...

Well, I'm guessing you were unlucky and just had a unit with a bad GPS. I hear from most people that their GPS's work flawlessly and Cory even stated that he was glad to see the E4GT's GPS locks on quickly. Also why did you post 2 times in a row to say the same message?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34