Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Stock or Cyanogen Mod

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm a Cyanogen Mod loyalist & it's my primary workhorse.

14 46.67%
  • No - I don't use Cyanogen Mod.

8 26.67%
  • Tempting - but I'm afraid I would screw it up beyond repair

4 13.33%
  • No - I prefer other ROMs.

1 3.33%
  • Yes/No - I flash Cyanogen Mod and everything else in site.

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do most current Nexus owners run Cyanogen?

I know this is an opinionated subject, and I realize that a Cyanogen mod wont be out for ICS right away, but I wanted to know if current Nexus users typically run it, or just leave there vanilla device stock? I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?
    Semper Fi
    I love my Moto X 2014!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Default Re: Do most current Nexus owners run Cyanogen?

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I know this is an opinionated subject, and I realize that a Cyanogen mod wont be out for ICS right away, but I wanted to know if current Nexus users typically run it, or just leave there vanilla device stock? I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?
    It really depends on what optimizations they bring to ICS. I love CM personally, but i think im going to try and go the stock route this time around. My Nexus S(currently running the ICS sdk port ) has been running on Cyanogen for a bit and its definitely one of the best roms out there for any device.

I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?
    Cyanogenmod is not a pure stock experience. It has its own mods. I'm sure there are people with Nexus phones that run it.

I've always wondered, is Cynogen and it's mods actually better than the stock experience or is the stock experience considered the absolute best it can get?

I have an OG droid and it uses the stock OS as it's a "Google Experience phone" but I've run Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast ROM and GPA roms....and currently I'm running Cynogen7. The stock experience feels much more sluggish compared to these ROMs.

So....are ROMs still the way to go over a stock experience you think?

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    So....are ROMs still the way to go over a stock experience you think?
    That's all opinion. It depends on what kind of experience you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    That's all opinion. It depends on what kind of experience you want.
    I want the best experience. Does Stock provide that over Cynogen?

When I had my Nexus, Cyanogen was terribly choppy. I stuck with Peter Alfonso's stuff.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    I want the best experience. Does Stock provide that over Cynogen?
    BEST IS SUBJECTIVE. What you think is the best may not be the same as what I think is the best. Again, it's all opinion.
    Thanked by:
    sprunka likes this.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Cyanogen brings stock android + mods. So basically you can run the Nexus stock, but Cyanogen gives you stock along with more customizations.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    god of thunder.

ROM
    Latest CyanogenMod

CM was basically the only ROM that touched my Nexus One. I tried other ROMs but nothing came close to CM IMO. Its nothing huge, it was just the little things that made it so nice.

The stock ICS experience looks pretty smooth already....im not sure Cyanogen will be needed for speed improvements alone, it might not make a large improvement in that area, but if it does I will for sure looking at flashing it. Im interested to see what custom settings and such they implement though.
    qnet likes this.

ROM
    Stock

There are definite kernel optimizations going on. I personally run CM7 on my Thunderbolt because Every Sense ROM I've run just isn't as good overall. I love my HTC device, the dev's are awesome and top-notch, just can't take the bloat anymore. Why can't I use more than 2GB of my 8GB internal storage! Its just ridiculous and I got tired of it. Very happy to see a nexus device come to a carrier I'm on.

Stock Rom on a Nexus is the only way I will go. Custom roms always seem to have more bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by turb0wned View Post
    Stock Rom on a Nexus is the only way I will go. Custom roms always seem to have more bugs.
    True. A lot of the time there is an inverse correlation between how modified a ROM is compared to stock and how stable it is. But if you wait long enough, the bugs get ironed out.

And work on the next version of Cyanogen will be started the minute the source code is released for ICS. I can't wait to see what they will do with Android 4.0.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

Still pure stock and non rooted here (N1), which will soon change once I get a newer phone.

ROM
    Android Revolution Hd

I have an Incredible, and have run at least one stock AOSP rom, a few Sense roms, MIUI, CM6 and CM7. I have to say that CM is comparable to stock AOSP in terms of performance on the Inc, but to me has a lot more useful features. I'm sure I'll try out several roms for the GN, especially whenever Cyanogen comes out with an ICS release. My advice is to do a NAND backup and try anything that sounds promising.

I did run CM7 for a long time on my Nexus S 4G and still do on my Nook Color. But I've become and big fan of Peter Alfonso's GPA/Bugless Beast ROM since he started for the NS4G.

CM7 has lots of great features and a good community but Peter's stuff is just fast so it's my daily driver now.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Im gonna see what CM9 has to offer. If it's better than stock, then ill run it. If it's nothing special, i'll just keep my phone rooted stock.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

I like cm for the little things like the notification Widgets and I like the T-Mobile theme Chooser so I can change the colors on stuff ...like right now its mimicing ics kinda

D.J.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Cyanogen is a good rom but aosp and stock roms are gonna be a bit more snappy but less feature rich and probably more stable without all of those experimental tweaks. It comes down to what you want your device to do. Personally I prefer a more stable snappy aosp rom over cm7 but that's just me.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I added a poll to your post. If you hate me, send me a nasty PM and I'll remove it
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I added a poll to your post. If you hate me, send me a nasty PM and I'll remove it
    It's a great idea...Thanks.
    Semper Fi
    I love my Moto X 2014!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

ROM
    cyanogen

You can almost run it like the stock with a few useful features. First, it gives more storage pace for Nexus one. You can have things like battery %, trackball wake, a modified lock screen and power widget in the notification pull-down... things like that. There are tons of more things you could do with, but I run it mainly for things mentioned above. I think it is better than the stock.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post
    I did run CM7 for a long time on my Nexus S 4G and still do on my Nook Color. But I've become and big fan of Peter Alfonso's GPA/Bugless Beast ROM since he started for the NS4G.

CM7 has lots of great features and a good community but Peter's stuff is just fast so it's my daily driver now.
    Loved Pete's work on my old D1.. he makes the fastest cleanest smoothest roms bar none
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

It's a great idea...Thanks.
    No problem. I just looked again and I had made a cluster of spelling mistakes though. I will stop drinking at 10 AM in the morning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast