Attention Samsung and Carriers

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When its released go to the store pick up the Nexus, pick up the SG2, pick up the RAZR (or whatever else you want)...play around with them for a bit and buy which you like. No one can decide for you

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks el8. Good reply. RE your:
1. OK, BUT, it is still better to have removable SD than not to.
2. Yes, we know it is overclockable, but making it 1.5 out of the gate would've been better. And it will be compared with future phones as 1.2.
3. It doesn't matter if 94% of statistics are made on the fly, the vast majority of practical usage time will only render approximately a 4.3 to 4.5 inch display because the buttons - which I like- are there. I don't usually watch movies on my cell phone.
4. Come on now, to have super Amoled plus and HD is preferable. The SGS 3will probably have it next summer.
5. Of course it has some other kind of reinforced glass. But why do so many manufacturers, including Samsung, preferr gorilla glass for top-end products? This is simply cutting costs.
6. I prefer the camera on the galaxy Nexus, as I said. But if the phone is so fast, why couldn't it have eight megapixel and fast shutter speed?
8. There's no reason it has to cost half as much again as an SGS2 ($200 compared to $300 on contract).
10. Replacement batteries rated at 2000 are already available for the SGS2, no reason they couldn't have put one in this phone.

As I stated in another post, features I listed in these 10 points, will most likely be included in next generation smart phones, so to identify them as irrelevant does not make much sense. Not that you are, but some people here are doing so.

My intention is to encourage manufacturers to give us the best product possible, and to get them to us as soon as possible, not to build in delays.

You can also be sure that many people, possibly millions, will be buying new phones this Christmas. To come out with the galaxy Nexus on other carriers before the holidays is just plain smart. To do it later is just plain stupid. That's my point. And I make it because I want the phone. I'm on AT&T, but I will get an SGS2 before Christmas rather than wait for the Nexus after Christmas.
Yeah, I want it, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed in it.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I want to know how the OP knows what the battery size is, rumors aside?

By, uh, pre-production units, which are now obsolete?

How does the OP know there is even a SAMOLED+ screen in existence that is suitable for WXGA?

How come the original poster isn't whning about the RAZR which not only runs at the same mhz, but an older CPU/slower GPU?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
ATTENTION: Samsung, Google, and carriers. Please listen up. We are tired of waiting.

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on are somewhat disappointed in the Galaxy Nexus.

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on, are pretty happy with and optimized software/hardware.

And those that don't know what is going on, are whinning about GG or 1.2gh instead of 1.5 or no SD Card or no 8mp camera! ;)

sneakking

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
1. OK ok
2. Yes, we know it is overclockable, but making it 1.5 out of the gate would've been better. And it will be compared with future phones as 1.2. hahaha, so what? are you taking it out to the playground for a pissing match? it will be easy to clock it to 1.5
3. It doesn't matter if 94% of statistics are made on the fly, the vast majority of practical usage time will only render approximately a 4.3 to 4.5 inch display because the buttons - which I like- are there. I don't usually watch movies on my cell phone. so what? the screen is 'only' 4.3" then?
4. Come on now, to have super Amoled plus and HD is preferable. The SGS 3will probably have it next summer. key words: next summer
5. Of course it has some other kind of reinforced glass. But why do so many manufacturers, including Samsung, preferr gorilla glass for top-end products? This is simply cutting costs. do you know the glass won't be good, would you prefer to potentially pay 399 plus contract?
6. I prefer the camera on the galaxy Nexus, as I said. But if the phone is so fast, why couldn't it have eight megapixel and fast shutter speed? write speeds
8. There's no reason it has to cost half as much again as an SGS2 ($200 compared to $300 on contract).the SGS2 is 4g?
10. Replacement batteries rated at 2000 are already available for the SGS2, no reason they couldn't have put one in this phone. good thing you have access to the battery on this phone

As I stated in another post, features I listed in these 10 points, will most likely be included in next generation smart phones, so to identify them as irrelevant does not make much sense. Not that you are, but some people here are doing so. buy another phone, wait for another phone, cry me a river, who cares?

My intention is to encourage manufacturers to give us the best product possible, and to get them to us as soon as possible, not to build in delays. do you understand the concept of limited space in a device that needs to be a certain size? do you understand the concept of putting in components that will work in unison and not just sledgehammering the "best" components in?

edit: it's funny how you complain about potential cost cutting measures and then a couple complaints later complain that it costs too much....which is it?

Last edited:

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
That's what I been thinking. What on Verizon or any other carrier is more impressive than this phone? Tegra 2 devices? Snapdragon S3 devices? Plus this phone won't have any skins hogging resources from the CPU either. Does anyone even know how the SGX540 will perform at the higher clock speed in conjunction with the 4460? Ok the 543 from the A5 would have been nice but its not what TI chose and the 4470 isn't even sampling yet so this is the best out currently.

I know the higher resolution may be taxing on it but I trust Google chose the OMAP for good reason. I'm sure the GPU will handle most mobile games like angry birds and hanging with friends just fine.

Gorilla Glass isn't the only form of fortified glass. Look at the invisible shields from zagg. Now you can get the same stuff from 30 different websites for half the cost but are you going to pay double cause zagg's name isn't on it? Or because best buy don't sell it?

Give this phone a shot cause there aren't any other better options currently or by the time this releases, so what is everyone so disappointed in exactly? I can't wait for this phone and pure Android.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I love that people are upset about how phones coming out next summer (reminder: 5-7 months away) are going to be better than the Nexus. I mean...seriously? I think it's fairly obvious better phones will be out then. No one is claiming otherwise. Balance whether you want the Nexus now against whether or not you think it's worth it to wait a half year and make your choice. There isn't any reason to whine that the Nexus doesn't have futuristic specs. Phones can't use components that are 6 months away from reality. Deal with it.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
OP- the nexus is not QHD!! 1280x720 is HD my friend. Im surprised no one else caught this.

NEXUS OR DIE!!!! It is by far the baddest ass phone. Spec junkies go find you latest spec fix!!! Quit beating a dead horse! We all know you dont like the phone, no amount of whining will get you the specs you desire, accept your losses and move on to the Rezound forum or camp out in future devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAEE YaaEE

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OP I am so glad you sat down and wrote Samsung a long letter. They are in a boardroom as we speak and drafting a response that says "we are working around the clock to meet your demands" Because of your letter I am sure we will have a launch date tomorrow, Thanks

And you know you know your going to get one anyway.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As I said, I love the galaxy Nexus, it's just not all I hoped it would be. I think if people were more honest they would concur that some of the points in my list of 10 were disappointments to them as well, even if it will not prevent them from buying the phone. I may get one myself, but certainly not with Verizon.
Have you even tried the phone? I thought so...
You're trying to sound like a reviewer rather than someone who is excited to try the phone for the first time (and then judge it). You sound like you've discovered some serious concerns and you're disappointed and Google/Samsung pretty much got all wrong.
What a joke..

el8

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks el8. Good reply. RE your:
1. OK, BUT, it is still better to have removable SD than not to.
2. Yes, we know it is overclockable, but making it 1.5 out of the gate would've been better. And it will be compared with future phones as 1.2.
3. It doesn't matter if 94% of statistics are made on the fly, the vast majority of practical usage time will only render approximately a 4.3 to 4.5 inch display because the buttons - which I like- are there. I don't usually watch movies on my cell phone.
4. Come on now, to have super Amoled plus and HD is preferable. The SGS 3will probably have it next summer.
5. Of course it has some other kind of reinforced glass. But why do so many manufacturers, including Samsung, preferr gorilla glass for top-end products? This is simply cutting costs.
6. I prefer the camera on the galaxy Nexus, as I said. But if the phone is so fast, why couldn't it have eight megapixel and fast shutter speed?
8. There's no reason it has to cost half as much again as an SGS2 ($200 compared to $300 on contract).
10. Replacement batteries rated at 2000 are already available for the SGS2, no reason they couldn't have put one in this phone.

As I stated in another post, features I listed in these 10 points, will most likely be included in next generation smart phones, so to identify them as irrelevant does not make much sense. Not that you are, but some people here are doing so.

My intention is to encourage manufacturers to give us the best product possible, and to get them to us as soon as possible, not to build in delays.

You can also be sure that many people, possibly millions, will be buying new phones this Christmas. To come out with the galaxy Nexus on other carriers before the holidays is just plain smart. To do it later is just plain stupid. That's my point. And I make it because I want the phone. I'm on AT&T, but I will get an SGS2 before Christmas rather than wait for the Nexus after Christmas.
Yeah, I want it, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed in it.

I'm certainly not writing them off as irrelevant, just in general insignificant.

Just for clarity, the CPU is rated at 1.5ghz, it's being underclocked from the factory, clearly for battery life. You made the assertion that the CPU in the Nexus not as good as the CPU in the SGS2, it's simply not true. The truly better CPUs simply aren't available for production yet.

For the display, I'm still not convinced that SAMOLED+ would be a tremendous benefit at this resolution - perhaps it is, but this display is by every account, fantastic.

Who knows why they don't make the Nexus devices with Gorilla Glass, maybe the curved screen? There's no explanation, I doubt it's simply a matter of costs though - this is Samsung's flagship phone. Like with many of the other issues, you're complaining about issues that aren't even known to be issues.

You said you don't watch movies (or play games) or use other full screen apps. I understand, that's your personal preference. Perhaps in this instance a 4.5" screen with dedicated soft keys would be better - I don't know. I'm looking forward to the 4.65" with on-display buttons. I do watch movies, I do play games, and will appreciate the extra space when needed.

For the cost, we don't know what the costs are going to be in the US. It's assumed to be $299 on Verizon, along with the rest of the dual core LTE phones. Maybe it'll be cheaper on the carriers without LTE - who knows.

The camera is the first of it's kind. There is no other phone camera like it. You ask why it couldn't be 8MP, I'm sure there's a reason for that, and not because it would add some marginal incremental cost to the build. It's truly a cutting edge feature.

For the battery - as always, it's a size issue. The 2000mah battery for the SGS2 requires a new cover, because it's thicker. I'm sure there will be extended batteries for the GN as well. Let's see how the original battery performs before we crucify it.

I understand you want more in a phone - and maybe it is better if you wait. It seems like much of what you want simply isn't available yet. Next-gen CPU, next-gen display, better battery (jn the same package), next-gen camera, cheaper 4G, etc.

If you feel like the SGS2 is better for you, then get that. In my view though, there's not one technical aspect of the SGS2 that bests the GN.

red.foxx15

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Between the 2 phones i would have to go nexus. With the 4g speeds Verizon's LTE network puts out vs T-mobiles HSPA+ its worth the $100 difference to me. since the most space i put into a phone is 32 gigs (16 on SD and 16 on phone) i dont really see the SD card being an issue. Since i recently lost and 8 gig card transfering it between houses i find the lack of removable storage better for my clumsy self. my 5 mp kodak camera takes a better shot then my girlfriends 10 mp i dunt even know the brand camera so i have no issue with 5mp cameras on phones (although im not a fan of going any lower). I keep a charger on me so i really dont care about battery life until it comes down to the phone not being able to last 5 hours.

When its all said and done FOR ME as an AT&T subscriber without there being an AT&T version verizon is definately the best option over the SGSII Hercules

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm certainly not writing them off as irrelevant, just in general insignificant.

Just for clarity, the CPU is rated at 1.5ghz, it's being underclocked from the factory, clearly for battery life. You made the assertion that the CPU in the Nexus not as good as the CPU in the SGS2, it's simply not true. The truly better CPUs simply aren't available for production yet.

For the display, I'm still not convinced that SAMOLED+ would be a tremendous benefit at this resolution - perhaps it is, but this display is by every account, fantastic.

Who knows why they don't make the Nexus devices with Gorilla Glass, maybe the curved screen? There's no explanation, I doubt it's simply a matter of costs though - this is Samsung's flagship phone. Like with many of the other issues, you're complaining about issues that aren't even known to be issues.

You said you don't watch movies (or play games) or use other full screen apps. I understand, that's your personal preference. Perhaps in this instance a 4.5" screen with dedicated soft keys would be better - I don't know. I'm looking forward to the 4.65" with on-display buttons. I do watch movies, I do play games, and will appreciate the extra space when needed.

For the cost, we don't know what the costs are going to be in the US. It's assumed to be $299 on Verizon, along with the rest of the dual core LTE phones. Maybe it'll be cheaper on the carriers without LTE - who knows.

The camera is the first of it's kind. There is no other phone camera like it. You ask why it couldn't be 8MP, I'm sure there's a reason for that, and not because it would add some marginal incremental cost to the build. It's truly a cutting edge feature.

For the battery - as always, it's a size issue. The 2000mah battery for the SGS2 requires a new cover, because it's thicker. I'm sure there will be extended batteries for the GN as well. Let's see how the original battery performs before we crucify it.

I understand you want more in a phone - and maybe it is better if you wait. It seems like much of what you want simply isn't available yet. Next-gen CPU, next-gen display, better battery (jn the same package), next-gen camera, cheaper 4G, etc.

If you feel like the SGS2 is better for you, then get that. In my view though, there's not one technical aspect of the SGS2 that bests the GN.

I currently work for a component distribution company and deal with alot of oems.. extremely marginal cost differences make a big difference in the design of products.. trust me.

I'm not saying thats why they chose a 5mp instead of 8mp.. but trust me.. many decisions on every phone/electronic are based on costs.

Last edited:

el8

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I currently work for a component distribution company and deal with alot of oems.. extremely marginal cost differences make a big difference in the design of products.. trust me.

I'm not saying thats why they chose a 5mp instead of 8mp.. but trust me.. many decisions on every phone/electronic are based on costs.

Couldn't agree more that marginal cost increases make a large difference, I simply doubt that was the driver on this particular issue.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Samsung and the carriers just got back to me, re: your rant. I'll post their reply in full --

attachment.php

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry OP, I don't agree w/ your post at all... it's not needed, it's a great phone, and if you want a phone w/ and SD card and other things you are complaining about then get another phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol