Will Verizon find a way to screw this up?

Will Verizon find a way to screw up the Galaxy Nexus release?

• Total voters

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
With rumors floating around about delayed launches. With pictures floating around of a horrendous front-facing camera. I am wondering if Verizon is going to "pull a Verizon" and find a way to screw up this launch.

Clearly, the right thing for them to do is to simply release this phone as intended by Google and Samsung. But given Verizon's history, it's not beyond imagination that they would attempt to alter the release in a very noticeable way that would disappoint many people.

So do you think Verizon will or will not find a way to screw this up?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
No they won't. They really don't have a say. Also that ffc is not something Verizon would change just to pull a Verizon. Google/software samsung/hardware verizon /carrier. Thats how it should be and I don't see why it won't. Google would not let the nexus history die cause of Verizon. We all need to relax. Everyone was posting Verizon wont get the phone a few weeks ago. Then Verizon says we got it and now it seems everyone want to find something more. A date will be shared soon and we will have a nice nexus on Verizon.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
No they won't. They really don't have a say. Also that ffc is not something Verizon would change just to pull a Verizon. Google/software samsung/hardware verizon /carrier. Thats how it should be and I don't see why it won't. Google would not let the nexus history die cause of Verizon. We all need to relax. Everyone was posting Verizon wont get the phone a few weeks ago. Then Verizon says we got it and now it seems everyone want to find something more. A date will be shared soon and we will have a nice nexus on Verizon.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Yes they did announce it but if you notice Panda does say "things may turn to crap" in the end of the post were he talks about the dates being changed (in the Verizon launch delay rumors thread I think around page 30). Hopefully he does not mean the whole launch is going to go to crap and get canned. I do know that Verizon will not have control over the hardware of this phone so it's not even worth discussing that matter. It's GOOGLES phone to show up their shiny new OS NOT VERIZONS.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
1) VZW can't delay a launch date they never announced. If you believe rumors, you tend to get disappointed much more often.
2) Google controls the Galaxy Nexus, just like Apple controls the iPhone, which VZW wasn't allowed to mess with either. Well, not JUST like Apple controls the iPhone but you know what I mean.

Where does all this mistrust of VZW come from? I've been a customer most of my life except for a few months stint with Sprint cuz I wanted the Nexus S. They have never been anything but reliable and I'm excited to go back to them.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think all the mistrust has come from the fact that VZW has screwed up most of its recent product launches...

...just look at the xoom, it was a complete disaster

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I think all the mistrust has come from the fact that VZW has screwed up most of its recent product launches...

...just look at the xoom, it was a complete disaster

Yeah they did botch that one, I guess you could maybe argue the Bionic too.

But that's only two phones, that hardly makes me assume they'll mess this one up too.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think they officially announced that they were getting the original. I thought it was only a rumor, i could be wrong, that was two years ago.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

While Verizon themselves never announced it, the Nexus one did display on Google's Nexus site as coming to Verizon. Then they changed their mind and said to get the Droid Incredible instead. Something must have fouled up in negotiations.

I get the feeling that won't be the case this time around. I personally don't think they will screw up this phone outside of being difficult in getting it out the door when we want it to. ;)

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well they've already let us down with the Nexus One, so if they screw this one up then that's going to look VERY bad on them. They didn't actually announce they would be carrying the N1 but like was said Google did say they would make a Verizon model. At least Verizon has released a press release giving us a time frame for the device (2 months) and we even have that sign up page on their own site. So this does look promising but you have to realize Verizon always gets their way. They don't bow down to nobody, anyone that knows Verizon knows this. Another good thing though is that Verizon has gotten the first devices on 2.0 (Moto Droid) and 3.0 (Xoom) so to have the first device on 4.0 would just follow the pattern. Might I add that all of those devices so far have been unlocked too.

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread is just ridiculous... I still feel like people don't understand what a Nexus phone is, Verizon has no say with this phone. This is Google's baby, they're just letting Verizon baby sit it.

Reactions: digitalslacker

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think this tread is absolutely legitimate and i'm glad someone started it...

Verizon has a very bad track record in regards to product launches..

the screwed up the xoom, the thunderbolt, the bionic and these are all recent, i'm sure if we dig deeper in the past we will find many more examples

and just because its a nexus doesn't mean verizon cant mess it up

like others have mentioned, they messed up with the previous nexus, google had it up on their site saying it was coming to vzw and then something happened and they decided to not launch it saying that they would launch the incredible instead. I personally believe that verizon didn't want to launch the nexus because they want to install their software on the device and google wouldn't have it..

so i understand why people are concerned, if it happened before it can happen again...

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there really is a problem. You can't tell me 3 huge companies like Verizon, Google, and SAMSUNG didn't have all of this worked out before the phone was started. All of the contractual agreements are done before development starts. Do you really think that there could be a problem now? If Verizon tried to back out of a deal Samsung could sue their asses off.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
contractual agreements before development starts? if so then why did google have a verizon nexus S on their website and AFTER that verizon decided to scrub the launch

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I think this tread is absolutely legitimate and i'm glad someone started it...

Verizon has a very bad track record in regards to product launches..

the screwed up the xoom, the thunderbolt, the bionic and these are all recent, i'm sure if we dig deeper in the past we will find many more examples

and just because its a nexus doesn't mean verizon cant mess it up

like others have mentioned, they messed up with the previous nexus, google had it up on their site saying it was coming to vzw and then something happened and they decided to not launch it saying that they would launch the incredible instead. I personally believe that verizon didn't want to launch the nexus because they want to install their software on the device and google wouldn't have it..

so i understand why people are concerned, if it happened before it can happen again...

Did VZW ever anounce they were going to launch/carry the Nexus 1? If they did then changed their mind then yes they messed up, if they didn't then Google messed up for having it on their website in the first place. This is different because Verizon has stated that they WILL carry the Nexus. But with all that aside wth the ffc has to do with anything related to Verizon? I can't believe people are complaining about the size of the front facing camera. That is just ridiculous.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
contractual agreements before development starts? if so then why did google have a verizon nexus S on their website and AFTER that verizon decided to scrub the launch

Remember, you're tallking about Verizon here. You'll find a Ceolocanth swimming in your bathtub before someone provides a logical answer for Verizons decision making.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital