Let's get an app list going...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Assuming you've had some previous Android app experience - or you've been checking out the Market online - what are a few of the apps you're going to slap on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus when you get it? Maybe you won't know until you've had some time to experience ICS, but from what I've seen I'm pretty sure I will still be grabbing these apps:

1) Touchdown - for syncing to Exchange email.

2) The new browser looks pretty cool, but from what I've seen, I still think Dolphin browser is going to be more polished and feature rich.

3) Go SMS Pro - Same as above. At the same time, I'm hoping that ICS's SMS app is good enough. I have concerns about Go transmitting all my data to a China server based on a discussion I recently had with one of our better known experts here (nuff said).

4) Sonos - if you have a Sonos player, you will understand that one of the most awesome HiFi systems in the world is controlled by an equally awesome app.

5) One of the several apps that display a callers city and state for inbound phone calls.

6) The second this phone is rooted - the first app to go on the Galaxy Nexus will be AdFree.

7) B-Secure Folders - totally dope password storage app that syncs seamlessly with any computer you've configured it to do so.

8) I'm still thinking I will use Launcher Pro over the stock launcher. I should probably branch out and try some other launchers as well. I also like to hide apps I will never use, like Google Books, Latitude, and other Google apps I find more suitable replacements for in the Market.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
1) Cut the Rope (OG can't handle it) - very fun game from the 2 levels I got out of it.

2) A messenger app - stock one is unappealing

3) Alarm Clock Xtreme - wakes me up for school without me thinking World War 3 is going on

4) SeekDroid - it's great to know that you can remotely control your phone if you were to lose it

5) Timeriffic - oh my God, I cannot explain how useful this app is. In a nutshell, it can set volumes for everything on your phone at the times you specify it to. No longer does your phone go off at 3AM or during class/work/other daily events. It can also turn wi-fi off at these times. 5-star app for sure.

6) SwiftKeyX, Swype, or Thumb Keyboard - going from the OG's screen to a 4.65 inch beast. I'll try out each of these apps before I make my decision.

7) Pandora - I love listening to music and I enjoy multiple genres. Pandora helps me discover great music.

8) eBuddy Messenger - keeping in touch with friends is a good thing. I'm in high school so whenever a spontaneous "let's go out" occurs, I don't want to be left out.

My decision on apps ultimately comes down to how well the pure Google experience is. I'm really going to try to use the stock launcher and such because I want the best performance out of my phone.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if we might be able to download that app called Google Body? It was previously available for tablet only, but I don't know if that might change with ICS.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if we might be able to download that app called Google Body? It was previously available for tablet only, but I don't know if that might change with ICS.

Trust me when I say you are not missing much. That was an app I downloaded, said "That's neat" then deleted.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Advanced Task Killer o_O

(kidding, kidding, Don't beat me Cory :p )

Y'all are gonna be nexus nerds now with a gazillion new and different things to try. Check out this for running scripts:

gscript

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Since i reload my phone every month this is a pretty easy list for me. In order off my new app list, these are all a must when i get a new device.

Amazon App store: Free app every day makes this worth installing and keeping on the phone. (Its required to run the apps you download.) Most free apps are crap, but there have been some good ones here and there.

Battery Calibrator: Free from the market. Resets battery stats without rebooting. (Not all ROMs have a reset built in, Just my recovery)

Facebook and Twitter for android: For obvious reasons.

Office suite pro: Free download one day from amazon. I use it now and then to edit word documents.

Printer share: Another free amazon app. Allows me to print to any IP printer without issue.

Quadrant: Market, free, I use this to test a new phone when i get it. Also works good on gauging new kernels.

Realcalc: Market/Free A calculator with more scientific functions. The basic sometimes wont cut it. Free and it gets the job done.

Sound hound infinity: Seems to work better then Shaazam on most things. I have Shaazam encore as well. Both were free from amazon at some point.

Yahoo sports: Market, free, Use this to track NFL teams on Sundays.

Titanium Backup: Market, Free/paid NEEDS ROOT. Works well for backing up free apps that disappear from amazon. Not the all in one backup solution it claims to be since it can cause major slowdown when switching OS versions and restoring app data. Works well for app alone.

Opera Mini: Market, Free, Super fast because it caches web pages on opera servers for faster delivery. Use it for heavy browsing sessions and for a backup.

Smart keyboard pro: Free/paid, Market. Best keyboard i have found for my needs.

Google Music Beta: ICS should come with this. But if it didnt, i would download it day 1. Free cloud music and lte? Done and done.

Must have game pack: I install the following games at some point just for waiting rooms and such.

Peggle, Angry birds, cut the rope.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
once rooted, titanium backup (must have!)

im going to honestly be giving a lot of the stock apps a fair shake in ICS (so no handcent or adw...at least right away), so thats gonna take away a few of my "must haves"

couple that are getting insta-downloads regardless :

-beautiful widgets
-netflix (cant wait to see how it looks on that beautiful screen)
-amazon app store (to re-acquire Pvz and Peggle)
-google reader
-tweetdeck
-android pro widgets (my new go to for awesome widgets)

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
-beautiful widgets (I have used it in some form or another for so long it would be weird without it)
-poweramp (the stock music app w/ google music is good for my extended collection, but my most frequently listened to stuff gets on the device, and poweramps sound quality is too good to pass up)
-kairosoft's games

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
1. Tune in - radio station app with live streaming stations from around the world. I love radio 1 so this app is perfect.
2. Di radio - music station app specifically for electronic music.
3. Rom toolbox - all in one app for rooted devices. It has a root explorer, rom manager, titanium backup , bootanimations, ad free ,,set CPU and so much more all in app. They are not the actual apps but similar and all work well. Highly recommend for root users only.
4. Power amp- awesome music player with great sound quality and settings to have prefect sound quality.
5. Music junk- music file downloads. Has every song. Its fantastic!
So many more but these 5 are great.

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I compiled a list of games that I thought might interest me:

1. Abduction
2. Abyss Attack
3. Air Attack HD
4. Air Penguin
5. Angry Birds
6. Aporkalypse
7. Burn the Rope+
8. Cars and Guns
9. Cut the Rope
10. Death Worm
11. DogFight
12. Doodle Grub
13. Doodle Jump
14. Fire Ball Deluxe
15. FRG Deluxe
16. Froggy Jump
17. Glass Destroyer
18. Glow Hockey 2
19. Greedy Spiders
20. GT Racing: Motor Academy
21. Hanging with Friends
22. Hyperlight HD
23. Jet Car Stunts
24. Lame Castle
25. Lane Splitter
26. Live Hold’em Poker Pro
27. MiniSquadron
28. Mixt HD
29. Muffin Knight
30. Noogra Nuts
31. PewPew
32. PewPew 2
33. Pinball Deluxe Premium
34. Plants vs. Zombies
35. Pyxidis
36. Radiant HD
37. Reckless Getaway
38. Reckless Racing PLAY
39. Robot Unicorn Attack
40. R-Type
41. Ruffled
42. ShakyTower
43. Sheep Rescue
44. Shoot The Birds
45. Sky Diver HD
46. Spectrum Puzzles
47. SpeedX 3D
48. Spelling Bee
49. Spirit HD
50. Tank Hero
51. Tanked
52. They need to be Fed
53. Unblock Me FREE
54. Wind-up Knight
55. Word Farm
56. Words with Friends

I think that's all...

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Going to try to list any of my favorites that haven't been mentioned.
Tapatalk - must have for any forum junkie
BeWeather Pro - best weather app IMO
ClearCheckbook - keeping my accounts up to date
Desktop Visualizer - customizing the homescreen
Evernote - keeping all my notes in my pocket
Navionics - marine GPS
NHL game center - I love hockey

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you've had some previous Android app experience - or you've been checking out the Market online - what are a few of the apps you're going to slap on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus when you get it? Maybe you won't know until you've had some time to experience ICS, but from what I've seen I'm pretty sure I will still be grabbing these apps:

6) The second this phone is rooted - the first app to go on the Galaxy Nexus will be AdFree.

I'm a little surprised by this since I think AC and Mobile Nations gets its revenue from ads (I could wrong). Ok, I won't mince words, that seems super unfair to devs who create free/ad supported apps. I see Jerry +1 it in the market.
I can see blocking javascript on the desktop web browser for speed and security reasons, but why block mobile ads from devs supporting the platform we love? That really bothers me. Feel free to explain it to me if you feel urge. Maybe there is something I'm not taking into account.

Reactions: rarchbold

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm a little surprised by this since I think AC and Mobile Nations gets its revenue from ads (I could wrong). Ok, I won't mince words, that seems super unfair to devs who create free/ad supported apps. I see Jerry +1 it in the market.
I can see blocking javascript on the desktop web browser for speed and security reasons, but why block mobile ads from devs supporting the platform we love? That really bothers me. Feel free to explain it to me if you feel urge. Maybe there is something I'm not taking into account.

Indeed I +1'd it in the market. Greedy carriers charge bandwidth used to view ads against your data cap, and adfree is the easy solution to stop it from happening. I certainly don't mind looking out for developers, but like everyone else, looking out for number one comes first.

Devs, release an ad free version and I'll buy it. Show me ads in every portion of your app, and I'll block them on principle.

Reactions: chriscw81 and kds

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Indeed I +1'd it in the market. Greedy carriers charge bandwidth used to view ads against your data cap, and adfree is the easy solution to stop it from happening. I certainly don't mind looking out for developers, but like everyone else, looking out for number one comes first.

Devs, release an ad free version and I'll buy it. Show me ads in every portion of your app, and I'll block them on principle.

I guess my question is how much bandwidth do you save by blocking ads? If it's significant, then Ok. I have "unlimited" data through Verizon currently so I'm not worried about ad bandwidth. I guess I'm luck in that respect. It doesn't seem like it could be really significant. I don't expect "I got a warning from my carrier, if only I had blocked ads I'd have been underneath the threshold." That seems like an unlikely scenario, frankly.

I'm sure you buy and donate whenever you can, Jerry and Cory. You are probably in the minority of adfree users. I also donate to freeware (myDefrag, TrueCrypt, Paint.NET and others) and buy the app if it's good enough, even if I only need the free one (CircleLauncher).

Edit: If the scenario were I show ads until I am approaching my cap, then I start blocking, I would see that use case too. Many carriers make that possible data useage with apps, and ICS will allow that naively. I'm not judging. I still love you guys :D

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread, I will be coming to Android from a very bad app wise BackBerry so I should get some good ideas.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess my question is how much bandwidth do you save by blocking ads? If it's significant, then Ok. I have "unlimited" data through Verizon currently so I'm not worried about ad bandwidth. I guess I'm luck in that respect. It doesn't seem like it could be really significant. I don't expect "I got a warning from my carrier, if only I had blocked ads I'd have been underneath the threshold." That seems like an unlikely scenario, frankly.

I'm sure you buy and donate whenever you can, Jerry and Cory. You are probably in the minority of adfree users. I also donate to freeware (myDefrag, TrueCrypt, Paint.NET and others) and buy the app if it's good enough, even if I only need the free one (CircleLauncher).

Edit: If the scenario were I show ads until I am approaching my cap, then I start blocking, I would see that use case too. Many carriers make that possible data useage with apps, and ICS will allow that naively. I'm not judging. I still love you guys :D

I have unlimited bandwidth as well (I imagine anyone who's been in this game a while does). But we're in the unique position where we see how things affect new users -- cause they email us every time something seems wrong :)

While ads probably don;t take a huge portion of a users data cap, I can see them eating a significant chunk out of the AT&T 250MB "beginners" cap.

Is it really fair to hit the pockets of developers because of this? Hell no. But it's the only solution that's easy. I try to balance it out by yelling from the rooftops that devs need paid, and don't be afraid to part with $0.99 for an app if you'll use it more than once.

And while this is off topic, I'll leave it here because it's good discussion (which i appreciate) :)

Reactions: BSG75

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
OOO I wanna play.... here is what I am running...

I basically run stock but I have a couple of must have apps..

Pandora (it almost says panda so I have too)
BeyondPod (podcast listening)
Netflix (hacked but working)
dropbox
I will be adding Titanium backup (once it works for ICS)

I dont do alot of gaming on my devices as I am more of a media consuming Panda so movies and music drive my flow.

all in all I think lots of people will be shocked with how improved the stock google apps like
Music
Google plus
youtube
and the like have improved in ICS..

I will check back after launch to see what everyone else is running..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908