Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    stc85's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    I currently have a BB Tour with Verizon and I'm mulling over the iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR, & HTC Rezound. Honestly, the GN is the one I'm very intrigued by, but it will be a deal breaker if it has the typical 'cheap, plastic' feel that most Samsung phones have. The phone is loaded, but it'll be a shame if it has a cheap feel to it.

    We'll see I guess.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    The heavier it is, the harder it hits the ground when you drop it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  3. #3  
    Adrynalyne's Avatar
    Account Deactivated

    Posts
    1,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Weight is deceptive. The lighter a phone feels, the cheaper. That said, I didnt have any quality issues with my Fascinate.

    Build-wise anyway.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Almost certainly will have the feel of every other Samsung device made. Whether you find that to be a cheap feel is up to you.....
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stc85 View Post
    I currently have a BB Tour with Verizon and I'm mulling over the iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR, & HTC Rezound. Honestly, the GN is the one I'm very intrigued by, but it will be a deal breaker if it has the typical 'cheap, plastic' feel that most Samsung phones have. The phone is loaded, but it'll be a shame if it has a cheap feel to it.

    We'll see I guess.
    All Samsung products are cheap. The Galaxy Nexus will be cheap too unless Google has say over what materials will be used on it.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  
    koolbon's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by stc85 View Post
    I currently have a BB Tour with Verizon and I'm mulling over the iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR, & HTC Rezound. Honestly, the GN is the one I'm very intrigued by, but it will be a deal breaker if it has the typical 'cheap, plastic' feel that most Samsung phones have. The phone is loaded, but it'll be a shame if it has a cheap feel to it.

    We'll see I guess.
    If they are going to let you open it up and replace the battery or whatever is inside it is almost impossible to make it anything other than plastic. I guess they could make it with some type of metal frame like Nexus one, but I have to use a case because it is too slippery to hold it. I just hope that I can hold it comfortably without using a rubber case of some sort.
  7. #7  
    hyperdude's Avatar

    Posts
    318 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 leak

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by koolbon View Post
    If they are going to let you open it up and replace the battery or whatever is inside it is almost impossible to make it anything other than plastic. I guess they could make it with some type of metal frame like Nexus one, but I have to use a case because it is too slippery to hold it. I just hope that I can hold it comfortably without using a rubber case of some sort.
    I believe the "Hyperskin" back on the device is for exactly that - so you can hold it without worrying about it slipping.
  8. #8  
    Adrynalyne's Avatar
    Account Deactivated

    Posts
    1,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    All Phone products are cheap. The Galaxy Nexus will be cheap too unless Google has say over what materials will be used on it.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk


    FTFY


    Anyone recall the all metal Droid 1 and its epic battery door that would fall off if you farted it its direction?
  9. #9  
    koolbon's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude View Post
    I believe the "Hyperskin" back on the device is for exactly that - so you can hold it without worrying about it slipping.
    I hope so. GS II is better than Nexus one in that regard, still a little bit slippery
  10. #10  
    hyperdude's Avatar

    Posts
    318 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 leak

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
    FTFY


    Anyone recall the all metal Droid 1 and its epic battery door that would fall off if you farted it its direction?
    I have a D1, and my battery door has never had trouble staying on. I did replace it with a used one I bought on swappa and that one's door does stay on loosely, so I think maybe it's not an issue for everyone?
  11. #11  
    Adrynalyne's Avatar
    Account Deactivated

    Posts
    1,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    As an owner and developer of the Droid 1, trust me, there were plenty of issues.

    So many that Verizon was sending out battery doors for free.
  12. #12  
    terpitude71's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,166 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude View Post
    I have a D1, and my battery door has never had trouble staying on. I did replace it with a used one I bought on swappa and that one's door does stay on loosely, so I think maybe it's not an issue for everyone?
    wasnt an issue for everyone, but it was fairly widespread. i remember on mine i did the fix where i pried the battery door clip up ever so slightly with a screwdriver to kep the door locked on a little better
  13. #13  
    hyperdude's Avatar

    Posts
    318 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 leak

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
    As an owner and developer of the Droid 1, trust me, there were plenty of issues.

    So many that Verizon was sending out battery doors for free.
    I guess I was one of the lucky ones
    I actually think I vaguely remember hearing about this ages ago... must have been before I got too addicted to Android development lol
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    I'm pretty sure this phone will have "that feel" to it. No phone is perfect -- and the seemingly positives of this phone far outweigh a "cheap feel" (yeah, that kinda sounded bad). Just hopes this phone comes out some time this year -- my Droid 1 is on its last legs, and I don't want the Droid Razr (I want a removable battery).
  15. #15  
    Adrynalyne's Avatar
    Account Deactivated

    Posts
    1,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude View Post
    I guess I was one of the lucky ones
    I actually think I vaguely remember hearing about this ages ago... must have been before I got too addicted to Android development lol
    My first one was perfect, but broke. My second one wasn't so lucky
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Like I mentioned. I'm sure it will feel somewhat cheap as most Samsung products do. But I'll have to hold it, I'm way to hard on phones to get something that can't hold up to a beating. I'm hoping for the best.
  17. #17  
    kca2000's Avatar

    Posts
    752 Posts
    ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    wasnt an issue for everyone, but it was fairly widespread. i remember on mine i did the fix where i pried the battery door clip up ever so slightly with a screwdriver to kep the door locked on a little better
    You can also "Shim" the battery out a little by putting a folded piece of paper under the battery on the D1. Slightly smaller then the battery compartment. Makes the door latch solid. Can be tuned in depending on how loose the door is by adding another piece of paper.

    But back on topic. I agree with the weight of the phone having more to do with it then the feeling of the plastic. Im hoping for a solid weighted feel at the least.

    Im also hoping that the battery door comes on and off cleanly. I thought the Bionics was a pain in the **** compared to my D1 and this one looks similar. Anyone have any experiences with daily removal of the battery door on the gs2? Looks similar to the way the g-nex works, i supposed it would act similar.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Cheap or not I'm still putting a case on it.
  19. #19  
    blackmannx#AC's Avatar
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    The softtouch backing does alot to change the feel of the device. Samsung is also using a slightly heavier grade of plastic. That being said the battery door is really thin so coating or not it def isnt MOTO or Apple level of high quality construction. But miles ahead of what Samsung normally makes..
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

    follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x
    Thanked by 6:
  20. #20  
    kca2000's Avatar

    Posts
    752 Posts
    ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx View Post
    The softtouch backing does alot to change the feel of the device. Samsung is also using a slightly heavier grade of plastic. That being said the battery door is really thin so coating or not it def isnt MOTO or Apple level of high quality construction. But miles ahead of what Samsung normally makes..
    Thank you for answering this. I am concerned about the door because i usually have a spare battery on tap with my phones and remove it often. With the Bionic i was always afraid i would break it while removing it, maybe the nexus cover will fair better. Hopefully the G-nex will have a spare battery charger on launch like the Bionic did, i really like the option.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    I liked the fascinate as it was light weight. Charge is similar. I just hope the software and hardware is as good as it looks to be. I am not worried about build quality.
  22. #22  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    If you really want great build quality (like a tank) I think you would have to go with the Rezound or RAZR. Personally, I don't care about a removable battery because I hate taking the back off to get at the battery anyways. There are plenty of micro-usb external spare batteries that are about the same size as an extra battery (if I need it). Looking forward to all three phones before I decide (not worried about when I get ICS on the Rezound or RAZR (I do think the RAZR will be very quick - there's a reason Motorola went with a TI OMAP chip - should make it pretty easy to get ICS up on the RAZR). I personally love the looks of the RAZR - no chance of confusing it with anything else. I do think the Nexus is going beyond pocket able/handheld and I also don't think at 4.3" that the 720P (sLCD on the Rezound) will be that much better than qHD Super Amoled. Also, I have yet to see an HTC phone with even good battery life (let alone great). The OG Incredible, the Thunderbolt had horrible battery life and I don't think the Rezound with sLCD, and 1.5 dual core will be any better.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    I'm waiting for a device that has a back cover made of the finest Corinthian leather.
  24. #24  
    Jet300's Avatar

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomis View Post
    I'm waiting for a device that has a back cover made of the finest Corinthian leather.
    You need to go try out the old Blackberry Bold then.....


    Seriously though, if this phone feels any where near a cheap as Samsung's latest phone, the Stratosphere, I'm going to be highly disappointed. I played with one the other night and wow, it felt like I could snap it in half ...
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Will this phone have a 'cheap, plastic' feel to it?

    Is it going to snow in Buffalo, NY at 6pm on December 31?

Posting Permissions

B