Is anyone else dissapointed with the specs?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Specs seem fine to me. What we really need is better software, and we are getting that.

Don't believe that? Look up the speed difference of the iPhone 4 when it got iOS 5. HUGE speed jump with only software update.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there another phone on the market with better specs?

"Better" is too subjective of a word to use here. There are certainly phones with different specs, but even looking a the 3 major complaints (camera, processor and sd card), it's not as simple as picking a device with a higher number. It's all about how the software interacts with the hardware. The Nexus devices have a history of maximizing this interaction to significantly increase the overall speed of the device, as compared to others with higher numbers. Then there is the issues of software updates. Nothing will ever beat a Nexus in this area. Optimized software will typically outperform the next 1 or 2 generations of hardware. This means that even when quad cores actually hit the marketplace (as opposed to just being talked about), the Nexus will still outperform it until the next generation of Android is released that utilizes those quad cores.

Having said this, if you need to have that 8 mp camera, or that 1.5 ghz processor, get whatever the latest device is that has it. I'm sure it will be a great phone (most all of them are), and I'm also sure the Nexus will smoke it performance wise.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I only wanted a dual core LTE phone. 1.2 GHz vs 1.5 GHz doesn't make a difference to me. The camera is awesome for a phone. The real selling point here is the software. Updates straight from Google (with Verizon's approval) and zero bloatware.

As far as the updates go, just look at the Xoom updates, WiFi vs Verizon. WiFi always gets them first. Verizon has to test software before it gets approved. So, other carriers' Nexus devices might get updates sooner than the Verizon version. Other carriers test software, I just think Verizon takes longer to test.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
"Better" is too subjective of a word to use here. There are certainly phones with different specs, but even looking a the 3 major complaints (camera, processor and sd card), it's not as simple as picking a device with a higher number. It's all about how the software interacts with the hardware. The Nexus devices have a history of maximizing this interaction to significantly increase the overall speed of the device, as compared to others with higher numbers. Then there is the issues of software updates. Nothing will ever beat a Nexus in this area. Optimized software will typically outperform the next 1 or 2 generations of hardware. This means that even when quad cores actually hit the marketplace (as opposed to just being talked about), the Nexus will still outperform it until the next generation of Android is released that utilizes those quad cores.

Having said this, if you need to have that 8 mp camera, or that 1.5 ghz processor, get whatever the latest device is that has it. I'm sure it will be a great phone (most all of them are), and I'm also sure the Nexus will smoke it performance wise.

I think you missed the hint of sarcasm. You answered my question in a lot more words than necessary. They answer is "not really" Unless you're anal about the lack of SD card slot, there is nothing out there with better specs.

Believe me, I understand the software/hardware thing. I have a Nexus S and have refused to upgrade because there isn't really anything else out there that's significantly faster in real world performance, although some dual core defenders here argue that. I handed my phone to a friend that has the Bionic, and he couldn't believe it. He was actually a little pissed that the Nexus was snappier. I'll stick with Nexus's from now on unless there's a big issue.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Only one thing. Lack of SD card.
However, since I can't upgrade til the end of the year (Dec 29) I will look at the phone, get it in my hands at the Verizon store and see if I can overlook that one flaw (in my opinion).

I'm loving that camera. No shutter lag, panoramic pics.

I've got to play with this phone when it comes out.

This is by no means blasting you or anything of the sort, I just simply don't understand why everyone is making such a huge deal about the lack of an SD card. At least you are not writing the phone off completely because there is no SD card.

What most people seem to not realize is that pretty much every phone out there right now can take a maximum of a 32GB card. The 32GB to 64GB jump is like the 2GB to 4GB jump. When you go to a 64GB card you no longer have an SD HC card, you now have an SD XC card and I don't know of any phones that will take an XC card yet.

I'm sure they may come out eventually, but even if they do, the 64GB cards are still $175.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This is by no means blasting you or anything of the sort, I just simply don't understand why everyone is making such a huge deal about the lack of an SD card. At least you are not writing the phone off completely because there is no SD card.

What most people seem to not realize is that pretty much every phone out there right now can take a maximum of a 32GB card. The 32GB to 64GB jump is like the 2GB to 4GB jump. When you go to a 64GB card you no longer have an SD HC card, you now have an SD XC card and I don't know of any phones that will take an XC card yet.

I'm sure they may come out eventually, but even if they do, the 64GB cards are still $175.

I just like to have the extra room available. I read a lot of books, mostly ebooks. One of the reasons for going to a smart phone was to combine my PDA and phone into one device (started with BB Curve). The Incredible allowed me to combine most devices into one device.
I also keep a large amount of music on my SD Card as well.
The lack of SD card concerns me only when things start to fill up. I may not only have network or cloud services available some places I go (my parent's house is a cell signal black hole. Almost no signal on most carriers I know of).

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Here's why I prefer an SD card. I fly a lot. Just got back from a trip a couple of days ago. I spent quite a few hours on planes. My preferred entertainment on a flight is to plug myself into a pair or top class earbuds and listen to MY music. I don't like using airlines hollow earphones listening to someone elses idea of good music. I can't do that from the cloud.

I'm willing to make some adjustments on my end. As long as there's enough room left with onboard memory that I can load what I want to take with me for the flight going and returning then I'll be happy.

One guy said he used his SD to store movies and music and he watched/listened to and from work which was an hour each way for him.The problem he had was the going from tower to tower caused huge data issues for him so working from the cloud wasn't a good option.

We all have different ways that we use our phones. What may be critical to one person is completely unimportant to the next person. As long as there is at least 28gbs of room left I'll be ok with that. Less than that and then I have to start looking hard at whether or not it will work for me.

I love the idea of owning a Nexus device but my first criteria is that the phone must be able to handle my everyday needs, and for me, that is being able to get to my music without using data. I'm hoping that it works out. Hopefully, we'll get the answer to that before too long.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's why I prefer an SD card. I fly a lot. Just got back from a trip a couple of days ago. I spent quite a few hours on planes. My preferred entertainment on a flight is to plug myself into a pair or top class earbuds and listen to MY music. I don't like using airlines hollow earphones listening to someone elses idea of good music. I can't do that from the cloud.

I'm willing to make some adjustments on my end. As long as there's enough room left with onboard memory that I can load what I want to take with me for the flight going and returning then I'll be happy.

One guy said he used his SD to store movies and music and he watched/listened to and from work which was an hour each way for him.The problem he had was the going from tower to tower caused huge data issues for him so working from the cloud wasn't a good option.

We all have different ways that we use our phones. What may be critical to one person is completely unimportant to the next person. As long as there is at least 28gbs of room left I'll be ok with that. Less than that and then I have to start looking hard at whether or not it will work for me.

I love the idea of owning a Nexus device but my first criteria is that the phone must be able to handle my everyday needs, and for me, that is being able to get to my music without using data. I'm hoping that it works out. Hopefully, we'll get the answer to that before too long.

How big are the music files you have that 32 gb isn't enough?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Would have really liked a Nexus, but I think I'm going to wait for the Padfone which was just said to come in February with quad-core and a tablet dock.

If the Nexus came with 1.5ghz (I know the 4460 is rated for 1.5ghz and I can clock it to that, but rooting is too bothersome because I can't update with it) and a competitive GPU, I'd get it, but that not being the case and it being rather cheap and ugly make me lean towards waiting. Also, megapixels do matter. The 5 MP pics don't look anything special, and I like to zoom around my pictures. I'd rather have more MP than a quick shutter.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
If the Nexus came with 1.5ghz (I know the 4460 is rated for 1.5ghz and I can clock it to that, but rooting is too bothersome because I can't update with it) and a competitive GPU, I'd get it, but that not being the case and it being rather cheap and ugly make me lean towards waiting. Also, megapixels do matter. The 5 MP pics don't look anything special, and I like to zoom around my pictures. I'd rather have more MP than a quick shutter.

You have to just chuckle when people post stuff like this... Utopia is just a rumored device away.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
You have to just chuckle when people post stuff like this... Utopia is just a rumored device away.

I order the jury to discount this ad hominem argument. But since we're in that realm of things, I must declare that I chuckle more when people buy things from a cycle just before it comes to its end, and its superior arrives to slay it. Utopia isn't rumored, it's Kal-El, and all this talk of software optimization is shenanigans in my oh so intuitive opinion; it's just a frail way to try and justify the purchase of a product which pales in the bright blinding light of the rising sun.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Would have really liked a Nexus, but I think I'm going to wait for the Padfone which was just said to come in February with quad-core and a tablet dock.

Wow, no wonder people keep thinking they need to buy a new camera every couple of years. I just bought a 12.2MP camera for my wife's mom for Christmas and I tested it out (bought it from ebay) and they have different settings where you can shoot at different resolutions and at 5MP it says the picture size is 8.5 by 11.3 and 8MP is 11.3 by 16.5. How many people actually print the pictures from their phones and if they do, how many print them at 8.5 by 11.3 or larger?

You do realize also that the faster the shutter is the less likely you'll have a blurry picture, don't you? Also what phone out there makes it so easy to do panoramic pictures?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I order the jury to discount this ad hominem argument. But since we're in that realm of things, I must declare that I chuckle more when people buy things from a cycle just before it comes to its end, and its superior arrives to slay it. Utopia isn't rumored, it's Kal-El, and all this talk of software optimization is shenanigans in my oh so intuitive opinion; it's just a frail way to try and justify the purchase of a product which pales in the bright blinding light of the rising sun.

Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You could have an eight-core processor and if you don't have the software to take advantage of those cores it means absolutely nothing and you will still experience lag.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
How many people actually print the pictures from their phones and if they do, how many print them at 8.5 by 11.3 or larger?
Probably 1 person, and that person isn't me. But of course, that isn't why I said I wanted more MP. I merely want to have more capacity to zoom around my pictures, looking at them on my device or computer.

You do realize also that the faster the shutter is the less likely you'll have a blurry picture, don't you?
I'd rather have to take my shots more carefully and get more MP than the alternative.

Also what phone out there makes it so easy to do panoramic pictures?

The Padfone which Asus says will come with ICS.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You could have an eight-core processor and if you don't have the software to take advantage of those cores it means absolutely nothing and you will still experience lag.

Let me grant you your claim, and then disregard it in the counter claim that the Padfone will come with ICS, giving it the optimization you so sorely seek.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, no wonder people keep thinking they need to buy a new camera every couple of years. I just bought a 12.2MP camera for my wife's mom for Christmas and I tested it out (bought it from ebay) and they have different settings where you can shoot at different resolutions and at 5MP it says the picture size is 8.5 by 11.3 and 8MP is 11.3 by 16.5. How many people actually print the pictures from their phones and if they do, how many print them at 8.5 by 11.3 or larger?

You do realize also that the faster the shutter is the less likely you'll have a blurry picture, don't you? Also what phone out there makes it so easy to do panoramic pictures?

Yes, a faster shutter is less likely to take blurry pictures but how much light it can take in has a lot to do with it. If the light level is low your shutter will be a lot slower unless you have one hell of a fast repetitive flash. I would have liked to seen image stabilization with this camera.....this is a bit of a disappointment for me but I'm sure I'll still be happy with it. Also, I still feel the lack of external memory is a problem. If you take just your phone to a theme park or whatever and want to shoot a lot of video it would have bee nice to have a few extra SD cards to pop in it.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Just to be argumentative...HTC makes panorama shots just as easy and has at least two phones with zero shutter lag.

The Rezound will likely be the same way.

BrianDigital

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, a faster shutter is less likely to take blurry pictures but how much light it can take in has a lot to do with it. If the light level is low your shutter will be a lot slower unless you have one hell of a fast repetitive flash. I would have liked to seen image stabilization with this camera.....this is a bit of a disappointment for me but I'm sure I'll still be happy with it. Also, I still feel the lack of external memory is a problem. If you take just your phone to a theme park or whatever and want to shoot a lot of video it would have bee nice to have a few extra SD cards to pop in it.

See your talking physical media to a company with lots of cloud storage for you to use. Sounds like you need video camera

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk