Are 4G sim cards swappable?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Can you swap 4G sim cards from one 4G phone to another? I've got a Bionic right now and I'm buying the Nexus when it comes out, so I was wondering if I can put the Bionic sim card in the Nexus (or vice verse) and be good to go? One of the reasons I ask is that I intend to update the Bionic to ICS whenever it comes out, but I don't want to go through the hassle of deactivating the Nexus, activation the Bionic, updating, then deactivation the Bionic and reactivating the Nexus...man, that's confusing.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, as long as the Nexus sim isn't micro sim, which I don't believe it is, then you should be able to swap. I was able to swap from my TB to my Bionic no problem.

Reactions: greydarrah

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yep, as long as the Nexus sim isn't micro sim, which I don't believe it is, then you should be able to swap. I was able to swap from my TB to my Bionic no problem.

So you're saying that you can just power down, pull the sim card out of your Bionic, put it in the TB, boot up and the TB becomes your active phone? Then you can reverse it and the Bionic is active? All with no involvement of Verizon? If this is true, I love it.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...this leads to a similar question that I have. When I sell my Bionic to get my Nexus, do I include my sim card with it? I mean, can the buyer use it? Or do I just keep it because they have to go and get a new one for themselves?

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying that you can just power down, pull the sim card out of your Bionic, put it in the TB, boot up and the TB becomes your active phone? Then you can reverse it and the Bionic is active? All with no involvement of Verizon? If this is true, I love it.

I don't think so. I believe you still have to go onto Verizon's website and swap them

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
No, he is right. Thats precisely how it works.

Actually, even though Verizon may tell you that going to their website and swapping is the only way, I've been using my thunderbolt sim in my pantech uml290 modem, and bionic without a single issue. As soon as you swap it, your Verizon page is automatically updated with the new device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Actually, even though Verizon may tell you that going to their website and swapping is the only way, I've been using my thunderbolt sim in my pantech uml290 modem, and bionic without a single issue. As soon as you swap it, your Verizon page is automatically updated with the new device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

You misunderstood. I was agreeing with the poster that just said power down and swap.

No need to call Verizon or go in.

I did something similar recently. Sold my Thunderbolt, kept the sim, and dropped it into my other Bolt.

Works fine.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no difference between the micro and normal sim besides the size. An adapter should definitely work.

I've actually heard of people trimming down a full size sim card (AT&T) to micro sim dimensions and having it work just fine.

I actually have a different question regarding sim cards on VZW. Mainly, how's it going to work when I switch from a 3G (CDMA) device to a 4G device? Will I get a sim in the box that I then have to take in to a store to get programmed or is it something I can do on the VZW site myself (assuming that I do get a sim included)?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It's micro sim? Well then, sorry for the slight misinformation!

Can't tell... there have been photos of both micro and full size sim as well as simless in europe (GSM).

We'll know soon enough. :)

Also, that adapter will not work if this phone is micro sim as you would be going from bigger to smaller not smaller to bigger. That adapter would work if VZW gives you a micro sim with the GN and then you want to use a tbolt/bionic/other full size sim phone

DIE_JCL

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. I believe you still have to go onto Verizon's website and swap them

I was able to swap out my TB with a Charge. The only problem is that the profile does not change. If you want all your info that is tied to your google email, such as contacts and apps then you would have to delete the existing profile and add yours. I am only stating what has happened to me on these two phones, the Charge still has my sons' profile and my profile is still on the TB. I always wanted to know this info but was too lazy to try.....glad you asked that question. They are probably right about the micro card swapping out to the smaller mini. Also true that your Verizon account is updated to the phone that your sim is currently activating.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Just to repeat what everyone is saying here:

1. Verizon's 4G SIM cards hold both your CSIM (CDMA) and USIM (LTE) profiles and credentials. This means swapping your card into another 4G phone moves its entire identity to the new phone without a call to Verizon.

2. SIM cards (2FF sized) and micro SIMs (3FF sized) are functionally the same. Only their size differs.

3. Verizon already has 3FF micro SIMs (the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE uses it)

4. Micro SIMs are the future (3FF is a standard size, but Apple more or less forced 3FF adoption)... if you have a 2FF device like a Thunderbolt that takes a regular full-sized SIM, you can get an adapter that allows a micro-SIM to sit in a regular 2FF SIM space.

5. Going the other direction is harder. 2FF sized SIMs can be cut to 3FF size with a SIM cutter/punch. They work ok, but can occasionally ruin/damage a SIM card. I think Verizon charges $10-$15 to get a new SIM. Most SIM cutters are $20. Do the math. The SIM cutters are far more useful if you have an unlocked 3FF global phone (e.g. iPhone 4S) and get a 2FF-sized SIM overseas.