Let's Get Positive

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If, like me, you were waiting for the release of the Thunderbolt, with all the fits and starts, BestBuy ads and then non release, then you remember how tense things were getting in that forum. Along came the (in)famous super long thread where people just kind of posted what they were going to do, how impatient they were waiting and really meeting up with everyone else, getting to know each other. It didn't make the wait go away but it did make it less tiresome and by the time the TB was released we all kind of knew each other.

So, here's a plan for this thread. Let's get positive in here. Why are you waiting so anxiously for the Nexus? How do you plan to use the phone, what features do you think you will use the most? Have you had a previous Nexus phone, and if so, how do you think this is going to compare?

Tell us where you work, what you do, how your phone fits in to your lifestyle. How much is it getting to you having to wait for this release, and do you think you'll live to actually get the phone in hand?? :D

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
It's kinda silly, because I don't really NEED a Nexus Galaxy; my Thunderbolt basically does everything I want/ need it to. But Android 4.0 seems nice, and to be honest, I've been very interested in the Nexus brand since before I got my Thunderbolt. The TB was my first smartphone, and when I was first learning about them, I came across the current Nexus (Nexus S?), and REALLY liked it. But, it wasn't on Verizon, and I wasn't looking to switch carriers.

So, in a way, the Nexus was my first choice all along, but I got the Thunderbolt because it was the best 4G phone on Verizon, in my opinion (didn't like the Charge or Revolution at all). But now, all of a sudden, Verizon is getting a 4G Nexus phone, and I just feel compelled to jump on board.

I feel a little bad about paying $600+ for a new phone off contract when my current phone is fine, but the way I figure, I don't plan to upgrade to a new phone until a new Nexus comes to Verizon (if that ever happens again). I don't think I could ever go from a bloat-free, vanilla Android experience to a bloated, skinned Android experience again, after getting the Galaxy Nexus.

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Great thread, and I cannot wait for this phone to just be announced. I created an account on Android Central specifically for this phone (and so I can view posted links on the forums and such). Just as long as Best Buy is able to sell it the day its available, I'm good.

Anymore waiting would probably cause an aneurysm. I'm two years into owning a Storm 2 (a very irrational choice on my part) and have been holding onto my last NE2 update from Verizon for the majority of this year.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife has been stuck with my old INC for a while. I want to upgrade her to my TBolt and get the Nexus for myself. The INC screen is just too small. Probably going to give it to my son. He can use it on Wifi at home and play games on it.

spas2k

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Sitting through the tunderbolt fiasco has kept my emotions under check for the nexus. I'll get it when I get it and sooner than later it will feel like the thunderbolt feels, just another brick in my pocket until the next phone comes out.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm so excited to finally get a Nexus. Sure, it's fun switching to a new phone every few months but at the same time I sort of envy the iPhone peeps who only upgrade once a year. Their phone always gets the updates and then when a new one comes out, they can get it.

I am very excited to get the Nexus and then just look forward to new updates from Google until Holiday 2012 when (hopefully) Verizon releases the next Nexus.

I am really looking forward to Face Unlock, as it should be one of those Wow things I show my friends. I also hope it is a functional lock method. Speaking on Lock Screens, I hope I can use a lock of some sort (PIN, Pattern, Face) and still have the ability to get to the Camera app from the lock screen.

I work for NBC Today Show and SNL, so I don't really know how much it'll factor into my everyday. I plan on showing it off, for the most part! I think I'll be converting some iPhone people in no time.

I want the GNex to come out soon because I have 3 friends/family members who are also waiting for the device, due to me telling them to wait!

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I love HC and a phone with ICS that is very similar is just what I need....

Plus I want a change, so a bigger better screen, new os and all that goes with it, no shutter lag, nfc, etc etc.

I really like the Razr but there isn't too much that sets it apart from any other android phone currently available. Sure it has a couple things that are better and for all I'm concerned its going to be Verizon's best phone for a couple weeks but there isn't much change.....

I feel the GN is going to offer a lot that sets it apart. Something people will see me using and say, wow what's that? Or damn that's cool....

Just my 2 cents...

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
I was one of the people who stuck around since May for the Bionic, but who lost interest the more it got delayed. In the meantime I had a chance to test the Droid Charge on Verizon and realized that their coverage is so poor in my area that I wouldn't get respectable reception pretty much anywhere. I still would've compromised for the Bionic, but we all know what came of it. With announcements of devices like the Rezound and Razr, it felt silly not to wait another couple of months.

Sadly though I'm done with Verizon; too expensive for me and I'm not getting good enough service to justify the costs, so the LTE Galaxy Nexus won't be for me. However I'm eyeing the international version and going with perhaps T-Mo for the time being (great reception in this area).

What I'm looking forward on this phone? Speed and reliability, mobility as well. CM7 breathe new life into my Eris, but it's still a slow device, the screen is too small for my sausage fingers to type on, etc. Honestly, I don't think a new phone will revolutionize my life but it sure as hell will clear a lot of the headaches I have because of my Eris. Plus pure El Goog experience? Bring it on.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When I bought the Bionic, I was left a bit disappointed. I had an opportunity to return it but I opted to stick with it since I thought it was good enough for me. Turned out my buying impulses are stronger than my will.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Nexus because it's a Nexus on Verizon! But more so, Ice Cream Sandwich seems to be a major step up from previous iterations and I like the potential for customization, tweaking, and long-term update support from Google. Since Verizon skipped out on the previous Nexus devices, this would be the first in hopefully a long succession of Nexus phones on Big Red.

As far as features are concerned, I anticipate on using the camera quite extensively since I tend to be picture happy. I also like the changes to the UI (action bars, gesture controls, etc), lock screen (face unlock looks promising), and of course the amazing looking HD screen.

I'm very, very excited. :D

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I like this thread. I'll start by saying I will be using this phone for both business and personel. I don't really need the phone but, having it would make some things more convenient for me.

I use navigation on my Iphone 4 . The software app was expensive and, it doesn't work as well as Google Navigation. It's also a pain because the Magellan dock I use doesn't work that well with the iphone. You have to make sure it perfectly seated or, you will get error messages, saying it's not compatible with the Iphone. It's very irritating. Every dock I've had with android phones have worked much better than this.

Their are a lot of other minor things. I love the Google voice integration with the VVM and, also folders. The music app is cool but, I've also discovered the Poweramp app which makes music sound better than the Iphone (the one advantage this phone had IMO).

I like the overall look of the phone and, the big screen. The dock looks really cool and, I like the way you can change what's in there, including putting folders there. I'm already thinking of stuff I want to put there and, how I'd like to set it up.

LTE will be really nice on this phone also, if it's anything like when i had the Bionic. Also being on Verizon is a plus since I get a discount and the network is great.

Overall, this phone will not enhance my life in any way, I'm generally a positive person and, just like technical stuff like this and, can't wait to play with it and customize it. It will be useful to me in a lot of ways though. I work as a Aircraft mechanic but, also am a part-time computer tech/ network administrator.

It's just a cool phone and it's pure Google. All this waiting is making me wish I'd never sold my N1 with the car & desk dock. I've tried different types of phones but, overall the pure google phone fits me. Hopefully this phone will be everything I believe it is and, I won't be going through this again by the time the next big thing comes around. :)

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
Galaxy Nexus! YAY!

fluttershy_yay_large_display_display.gif

Exactly.

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone. I've had the 4S for a couple weeks, now and I'm noticing that the more I use it, the less I like it. I'm finding that I really don't like the hard lines and sharp edges of the phone, and I wish it was bigger. I'm coming from the 3GS, so I'm very familiar with Apple and the iPhone and this is just not feeling like that big of an upgrade. I'm finding that the big innovation, Siri, is basically a novelty. I rarely ever use it, and when I do it doesn't really work all that well. Very hit or miss. I also found that iCloud was/is a big mess. So much so that I just turned it off. I already used Google Sync to sync my contacts with my gmail account, and iCloud screwed up most of my contacts. I had to go back into gmail to fix my contacts, and then I turned iCloud sync off. So, basically I have an iPhone 4S, that doesn't use the 4S features.

I'm seriously considering selling the iPhone and getting the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out. I already use Google products for almost everything in my techie life, and I have a feeling it will just match up much better. Plus I've been intrigued by Android for quite a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think this may just be the right time....

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm just really anxious to upgrade from my OG Droid to a Nexus phone on Verizon with 4.0 :) the D1 has served me well, but there comes a point when you just can't really make it work better. Over the past summer I was looking hard at the TB, and then waiting on the Bionic, but once more fleshed-out rumors and leaks about the GN (which up until the announcement I hoped would be called the Nexus Prime, like many of us here did I suspect) I knew I was gonna want it.

I'll be using the GN as a phone some of the time (don't talk much on the phone lol), but mostly for texting and keeping connected to the Internet on the go - which I never realized before I got a smartphone how addicting it is. I really like the design of the phone, the on-screen buttons in ICS, and all the new features and playthings ICS brings to the table.

I don't work right now, I'm a student in college (going for computer science), and it'll be hard for me to put the Nexus down once I've got it in my hands :) The wait for the Verizon launch has been getting to me a lot lately, and I almost compulsively check the AC forums and the XDA Galaxy Nexus forum for news.

tl;dr I'm excited

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm really excited for the Nexus, my current OG is hardly functioning after a near fatal drop face down on my driveway. I made up my mind that I would get the Nexus the instant that the rumors started pouring in. I've been expecting it in Nov, but my Fiance has been eligible for an upgrade since August and was waiting for me to pick what phone I was going to get. It's her first Android phone and she wanted to get the same one as me so that if she had issues she could just ask me. I don't know if she was expecting to wait this long, but when it's all over I'm sure she'll be very excited. She's been watching all the videos on youtube anticipating it's release, and she calls me a nerd.

I work for a small 12 people design firm in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm a web developer / animator / video editor. I've only been working here since March 2011, but it's been my dream job since I heard about my current employer. When the job was posted for this position, I didn't think I'd get the job... but I wrote a really sincere letter along with my cover letter. They received my application on a Monday, phone interview on Wed, in person interview on Thurs, got the job on Friday... it's been a dream. I've been learning android development.. I use my phone 24/7 at my job for browser testing and communication.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Like a lot of others on this site, I'm kind of a tech nerd and I've been through a ton of phones this year. Off the top of my head, I think I've had the Droid X, Droid Pro, iPhone 4, Droid X2, BlackBerry Bold 9930, Droid Bionic, and I'm currently using an HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7. While I do like WP7 better than iOS, I really miss the customization that you get with Android plus an app that I use to manage my work schedule is not available on WP7.

As for the Galaxy Nexus, I think the biggest selling point will be stock Ice Cream Sandwich. It'll be great to know that there won't be any potential bugs introduced by a manufacturer's skin and that updates will come straight from Google. In terms of the hardware, I'm not sure if I'll use the NFC capability, but it'll be nice to have just in case. I also like the fact that the camera is supposed to be pretty high quality as I have a 2 year old niece who doesn't sit still so the zero lag shutter should be just what I need.

Right now I'm really fighting the urge to pick up a Droid RAZR in addition to the Galaxy Nexus. I've been tempted to hit my local store up to see if they have a demo model available to check out as I can be extremely impatient. I know it's in my best interest to wait for the Nexus but it's getting harder every day.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a fascinate, I had high hopes for the charge (which I paid full pop). Got it for screen update and 4g. Honestly, I feel those 2 attributes are the only things better than the fasc. The charge lags alot, has random reboots and just generally irritating at times. The fascinate also had a robust development community which greatly enhanced the experience. The charge not so much.

So, I am going to pay full pop again for the Nexus. Geez, $1000+ in six months for a !@#$ phone?? I hope I can stop buying a new phone for awhile and stop screwing my finances up.
Mainly buying for the development that will surely be coming for this device. I love flashing roms/mods an stuff.
I only have experience with touchwiz based stuff, so looking forward to a non overlaid ICS. Plus the styling is way better than the razr and rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21