Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shanghai
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Nexus and Google Voice

When the Galaxy Nexus comes and I purchase one, can I port my current Verizon number to Google Voice and keep unlimited data? I ask because I have always wanted to use Google Voice, but I wanted to wait until I switched from my Droid 1. I am not in a contract of any kind right now, so I would just have to have Google port the number, and then activate the Nexus separately right?

Has anyone else used Google Voice on Verizon that can help me understand the process?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy Nexus and Google Voice

you will loose unlimited data. depending on what you are looking for out of google voice you may not need to port your number
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    you will loose unlimited data. depending on what you are looking for out of google voice you may not need to port your number
    Ah, not worth it then. I guess I'll either not use Google Voice or get a new GV number. The only difference is that I have to inform people of my new number, right?

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

If all you want is visual voice mail, then you do not need to use a new number at all, if you want the "one number everywhere" or free sms then yes, you will need to give out a new number

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I've used Google voice since it came out, you do not have to port your number, you can go to setting in google voice and set what phone numbers to ring. I have given the google voice number out to a few people but mainly use it for free sms and vvvm which work great. When my phone rings, if I don't answer it the call goes to google voice with customized messages for certain numbers and I receive a google voice sms with the new message, (which can be played if you want). Also, there are shortcuts that allow you to record conversations, listen to the message as it is being left and answer or send to voice mail. It is really a great app but you certainly do not need to port the number. If you don't port the number and leave your carrier the google number goes with you for your next phone with no problems or porting. Google Voice is great, highly recommend, there are lots of things you can do with it, i.e., multiple phone numbers can be set up to ring on your google voice number.
    sprunka likes this.

So you can opt out of a text message plan with VW, as long as your ported number is not the same as your actual phone number?

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

You could port a google number to verizon but either way you can use the google voice. I simply give the google voice number as my texting number and people can call that number because it rings on my phone just like my regular phone number. One thing about the google voice number if you strictly use that you get charged minutes even if the person is on your carrier because unless the google number is ported it isn't a carrier number. Using google voice for sms doesn't mean you won't get some regular sms because you have to notify people what number to use for texting. This took awhile with my kids but they finally got it.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Can I just use Google Voice for the purpose of Visual Voice Mail? I'd like to keep my VZW number and just have a working YouMail replacement....

Quote Originally Posted by Jet300 View Post
    Can I just use Google Voice for the purpose of Visual Voice Mail? I'd like to keep my VZW number and just have a working YouMail replacement....
    Yes, you can. Essentially you update your voicemail settings on your phone to push calls you miss or send to VM to the Google Voice phone number.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk