Why the spec hate...?

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Been looking a lot at spec comparison charts for the "big 3". Starting to wonder why people dont think the SGN has bleeding edge hardware?

1. TI OMAP4460 at 1.2 GHz is right there, 2nd best in clock speed but 1st on Verizon in overall performance in my humble opinion

2. ICS immediately without delay, same with all other OS updates including JellyBean or whatever

3. HD Super AMOLED at 4.6" is best on Verizon, again arguably but right there

4. Camera is a dead horse, but its competitive. Wont rehash MP etc.

5. Coming soon, announced. Who really knows how far away anything else really might be. Its Verizon...

6. No bloatware. Anyone who has played or had a previous Verizon smartphone knows their adoration for it.

A rant I know, but what do you guys think? ICS is the star of course, but aren't these specs right there on Verizon, and could be for a while....?

Reactions: crzycrkr

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Quad-core is too close now. To buy the Nexus is like to build a fire just before the sun comes up.
If you go by this logic, you will never buy a phone. The "next best thing" is ALWAYS right around the corner with Android devices. You want a device you know won't be obsolete in 2 months? Get an iPhone, because they only release one of those a year.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If you go by this logic, you will never buy a phone. The "next best thing" is ALWAYS right around the corner with Android devices. You want a device you know won't be obsolete in 2 months? Get an iPhone, because they only release one of those a year.

The "next best thing" usually isn't worth waiting for. However, waiting for quad core is tantamount to waiting for the next iPhone, as this is the big upgrade that comes once a year (single core to dual core, dual core to quad core, etc). So your argument doesn't apply to this situation.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Quad-core is too close now. To buy the Nexus is like to build a fire just before the sun comes up.

If you're argument is to wait for the next big thing, tegra 3 is not it. Tegra 3 is built on old tech by your standards: 40nm cortex A9 processors when 28nm cortex A15 quad core chips will be out in the second half of 2012. Plus these newer chips will integrate radios to save battery life, that combined with the ipc improvements of the A15 and the clock improvements gained form the higher TDP of 28nm, these chips will provide a real advancement the tegra 3 cannot.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're argument is to wait for the next big thing, tegra 3 is not it. Tegra 3 is built on old tech by your standards: 40nm cortex A9 processors when 28nm cortex A15 quad core chips will be out in the second half of 2012. Plus these newer chips will integrate radios to save battery life, that combined with the ipc improvements of the A15 and the clock improvements gained form the higher TDP of 28nm, these chips will provide a real advancement the tegra 3 cannot.

Isn't a big enough upgrade to be worth waiting for.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The only Android phone that will be better than the Galaxy Nexus, will be the next Nexus.

Folks will try to say otherwise, but the people who get to try all of them will tell you -- Nexus > the rest.

I'll tell you sight unseen -- if you're an Android fan & a Verizon customer, if you buy any phone except the GNex, you've made a mistake.

aman1127

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting it either, hardware is unimpressive and I'm on sprint so LTE will be rolling out soon. I don't want current tech with a current radio

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Been looking a lot at spec comparison charts for the "big 3". Starting to wonder why people dont think the SGN has bleeding edge hardware?

1. TI OMAP4460 at 1.2 GHz is right there, 2nd best in clock speed but 1st on Verizon in overall performance in my humble opinion

2. ICS immediately without delay, same with all other OS updates including JellyBean or whatever

3. HD Super AMOLED at 4.6" is best on Verizon, again arguably but right there

4. Camera is a dead horse, but its competitive. Wont rehash MP etc.

5. Coming soon, announced. Who really knows how far away anything else really might be. Its Verizon...

6. No bloatware. Anyone who has played or had a previous Verizon smartphone knows their adoration for it.

A rant I know, but what do you guys think? ICS is the star of course, but aren't these specs right there on Verizon, and could be for a while....?

For me, two things sold me.................. ICS and No bloatware.........thats really it....nothing really to do with hardware.

Spiral_ouT#AC

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Poopai is looking at it from the average consumers perspective. An average person buys a new phone every 1-3 years. With CNET, Engadget, and every other tech website blogging about how the Tegra 3 the best thing since sliced bread, I think this really is the reason the SGN's specs aren't seeing the praise your looking for.

They aren't bad specs. They just aren't the newest and what the media tells us is the best. Techies see past this and understand there's nothing to hate about the SGN's specs.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
you do understand there are barely any apps that take advantage of dual cores even though they have been out for a while. heck the OS is just now getting real support for dual cores and it isnt even out yet. by the time there is any useful application for quad, there is no question you will have wanted to wait for 28nm A15 SOC with radios for a true performance and functionality increase. but hey, to each is own right!!

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Isn't a big enough upgrade to be worth waiting for.

are you kidding? 40nm -> 28nm alone is big enough to wait for, and the A9 -> A15 will be like going from a Nehalem to a sandy bridge. Core architecture matters much more than the number of cores. The tegra 3 will be like AMD's phenom II trying to keep up with Intel's sandy bridge compared to the 28nm A15 based chips

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Seems like every six months we see some upgrade. Wait for the next one and as its commg they start talking about the next. It won't stop. I just buy phones as they come out if I want them. Dont have a upgrade then add a line or pay full price. If you pay full price then sell in 6 months you can make back half the money for the next best thing. Not worth waiting unless you have to.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Seems like every six months we see some upgrade. Wait for the next one and as its commg they start talking about the next. It won't stop. I just buy phones as they come out if I want them. Dont have a upgrade then add a line or pay full price. If you pay full price then sell in 6 months you can make back half the money for the next best thing. Not worth waiting unless you have to.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

It's just like the tick-tock cycle in the desktop space, I am more than happy to buy the gnex and be happy, If dual core A9s -> quad core A15s is a huge jump I'll sell the gnex and buy next years nexus, quad-core isn't enough to entice me, but new manufacturing processes and core architectures may be.