Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By btrfly0823
  • 3 Post By mithmax
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How they measure phone thickness

Why do they measure phone thickness at the thinnest part? If that is the case then why not make a phone that comes to a point and say "Our phone is .1mm thick!!!"

It doesn't make any sense. Thickness should be measured at the thickest point.

I know this is the Galaxy Nexus forum and that is the phone I am waiting for but I just got this pick in an email from Verizon which shows what I am questioning.
    Manny83 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Default Re: How they measure phone thickness

i agree, it is very misleading.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So how does the Nexus match up to the Razr at the thickest point on each phone?

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

The reason I think is mainly for marketing reasons. It makes the phone look better, I guess.
    The Officer
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by btrfly0823 View Post
    So how does the Nexus match up to the Razr at the thickest point on each phone?
    Thanked by 2:

Becuase the thickest part of that phone is around 20% of the phone or less and it is a part of the phone you more then likey will not be holding onto when using it. Between the GN and RAZR I don't think there is much of a difference in thickness to choice one phone over another.

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    I was expecting the Galaxy Nexus to be a little bit thicker than that. Looks like my RAZR will be going back to Verizon next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Becuase the thickest part of that phone is around 20% of the phone or less and it is a part of the phone you more then likey will not be holding onto when using it. Between the GN and RAZR I don't think there is much of a difference in thickness to choice one phone over another.
    Exactly. The majority of the phone is indeed the thickness they advertise, it sounds better for marketing purposes & that hump on the top of the phone will probably never be in the way of holding the device unless you have gigantic hands.

ROM
    Petes frg83d

You guys are all wrong, this is how they figure it... "Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the Tip squared..." Heres another method, this one is said to be more accurate, "Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH...
    Last edited by mithmax; 11-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    kvlt, belmore and ManBearPig618 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout_313 View Post
    I was expecting the Galaxy Nexus to be a little bit thicker than that. Looks like my RAZR will be going back to Verizon next week.
    Is that a picture of the Verizon GN or the gsm version? Just asking because the vzw GN is said to be thicker because of the lte radio

Quote Originally Posted by mithmax View Post
    You guys are all wrong, this is how they figure it... "Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the Tip squared..." Heres another method, this one is said to be more accurate, "Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH...
    You, sir, just made my day!!!!! Hahahaha!! Awesome south park reference.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    Haha! I scrolled through the pics and seen that the music is improved with an equalizer. This makes me happy and, Panda's small little hint may be true!