There's Two VZW Apps on the Nexus

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The backup assistant is most likely there to help people coming from another OS to transfer their contacts.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
ha yeah. That's probably the closest to stock ICS you'll see on Verizon period. MyVerizon and Backup Assistant. oh noes, let's go #occupyVerizon

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people realize that this could potentially have HUGE implications for the "Nexus" update process.

Sure, it is easy to root and remove 2 apps, or maybe you want these apps - that's fine.

The problem is that if Verizon requires these apps to be installed by default it will slow down the update time. If Google has to include these two apps, to release an update for the Nexus device they will probably have to submit the update to Verizon for "testing" and to make sure it has the required Apps preinstalled.

I want a Nexus device for the "privilege" to get updates directly from Google. If Verizon puts a stepping stone in this process, there are/will be better devices out there to get.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think people realize that this could potentially have HUGE implications for the "Nexus" update process.

Sure, it is easy to root and remove 2 apps, or maybe you want these apps - that's fine.

The problem is that if Verizon requires these apps to be installed by default it will slow down the update time. If Google has to include these two apps, to release an update for the Nexus device they will probably have to submit the update to Verizon for "testing" and to make sure it has the required Apps preinstalled.

I want a Nexus device for the "privilege" to get updates directly from Google. If Verizon puts a stepping stone in this process, there are/will be better devices out there to get.

dude, you're stressing out a little too much. did you forget that this is a "Nexus" device? meaning, a Google device. sure there will be plenty of other devices out there that will run ICS (the majority of them probably 6 months to a year later). but if there's any ICS update, you know the Galaxy Nexus will be first to get it. would it make sense for a non-Google device to get Google ICS updates sooner? the only thing i could see there being a reason to make a fuss about is that, possibly, the unlocked GSM versions over in the UK and Europe, could get the updates slightly quicker, because those phones aren't tied to any particular carrier.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But none work like city Id. That is the issue.
There's other apps in the Market that have the same function, and for free I believe. The one I use was pulled a while ago but I have the APK saved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I hope city id is included next to my Verizon widget those are my to favorite vzw apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I want city ID on a device as much as I want a hole in the head. Do you realize how intertwined City ID is? Framework, hooks in Phone.apk, plus the app.

That IS a bloatware that will slow down update progress, unlike the other two.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the nexus s 4g has a sprint app or two preinstalled and they haven't had to let sprint delay the updates there.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus community has a right to be up in arms about this.

What does a "Google Nexus" phone represent now? I understand why Google wanted to launch via a carrier this time, but this Verizon Galaxy Nexus is changing what a Nexus phone is supposed to represent, or what we were led to to think it represents. It has a Verizon brand, and Verizon bloatware (it's semantics if you don't want to call it bloatware; it shouldn't be there).

And it begs the question: will updates still come via Google, or will it have to go through Verizon now?

More importantly, is Google changing what the Nexus is representing? This is sad if this is the direction.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

What does a "Google Nexus" phone represent now? I understand why Google wanted to launch via a carrier this time, but this Verizon Galaxy Nexus is changing what a Nexus phone is supposed to represent, or what we were led to to think it represents. It has a Verizon brand, and Verizon bloatware (it's semantics if you don't want to call it bloatware; it shouldn't be there).

And it begs the question: will updates still come via Google, or will it have to go through Verizon now?

More importantly, is Google changing what the Nexus is representing? This is sad if this is the direction.

Let me just say this. Verizon does not add bloat. Let me repeat this. Verizon does not add bloat. Did I mention that Verizon does not add bloat?

Here is what they do. They send the bloat to OEMs. In this case it will be Google. Google adds the apps to their vendor setup. They compile ICS, and the files get copied to the system after its compiled.. Its a done and sealed deal. Done. Finished. Finito.

Or...more likely....Verizon will just have folks update it from the market, and keep the original versions the same under /system/app.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

REEEEELAX.

Panda has stated that updates are coming directly from Google. We knew this. End of story.

Also, the reason there are apps coming pre-installed is because it is being sold through Verizon directly. If this was like the Nexus One/Google Phone Store then we wouldn't see any pre-installed apps on it.

We do not even know yet if these two apps are un-installable. Maybe they are and there is nothing to be huffy about. If they cannot be un-installed then they can be disabled in ICS, which is the same as freezing them in TB.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Let me just say this. Verizon does not add bloat. Let me repeat this. Verizon does not add bloat. Did I mention that Verizon does not add bloat?

Here is what they do. They send the bloat to OEMs. In this case it will be Google. Google adds the apps to their vendor setup. They compile ICS, and the files get copied to the system after its compiled.. Its a done and sealed deal. Done. Finished. Finito.

Or...more likely....Verizon will just have folks update it from the market, and keep the original versions the same under /system/app.

well, it's obvious that Verizon themselves do not add the bloat (as in, they do not technically install it themselves). but they do negotiate and in most cases require that their apps and bloatware get added to the list of apps in the vendor setup. why else would there be VZW bloatware on a phone? It's not like Google was itching to add the VZW bloatware to their Nexus phone.

thejondude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
well, it's obvious that Verizon themselves do not add the bloat (as in, they do not technically install it themselves). but they do negotiate and in most cases require that their apps and bloatware get added to the list of apps in the vendor setup. why else would there be VZW bloatware on a phone? It's not like Google was itching to add the VZW bloatware to their Nexus phone.

....He is pointing out that the vzw apps arent going to delay updates.... whats the big freaking deal. Just remove them and relax. The thunderbolt has like 10 apps and one being a golf app that about 100mb... BFD