Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast

Default The Verge Review

Josh Topolsky just released his review for the Nexus. In the video review he says "In the US it will come with LTE on Verizon's network with 32 gigs of storage." Maybe he knows more than we do.

Galaxy Nexus review | The Verge

ROM
    Motoblur

Default Re: The Verge Review

I enjoy JT's reviews but I feel his 8.6 score of the Nexus was mostly driven by the fact that the iPhone 4S also got an 8.6 and he didn't want to rock the boat.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.

Where did it say anything about verizon getting the 32gb? I saw he said it comes in 16/32 but never mentioned verizon.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Great. Is it out yet?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Where did it say anything about verizon getting the 32gb? I saw he said it comes in 16/32 but never mentioned verizon.
    In the video review. :40 mark

Seemed like a fair review to me and makes me want this phone even more.
    qnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig618 View Post
    Great. Is it out yet?
    LOL - you read my !$%#%#@ Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pulpdogs04 View Post
    In the video review. :40 mark
    Oh didn't watch that yet, just was reading over the article. He did give the software 10/10 so that is always a good sign.

ROM
    JellyBellyV3.6/FrancoR220

Quote Originally Posted by tdubrpdx View Post
    I enjoy JT's reviews but I feel his 8.6 score of the Nexus was mostly driven by the fact that the iPhone 4S also got an 8.6 and he didn't want to rock the boat.
    I completely agree. From what I could tell, he said the only shortcoming seemed to be that the camera could have used minor tweeks.

But he then goes on to say in the wrap up, "It's one of the best smartphones ever made... and it could be the best ever."

So apparently either (A.) the minor tweeks he thought it needed deserved a knock down of 1.4 points... or (B.) the ACTUAL "best smartphone ever made" will only score a 8.7 out of 10.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by llocknload View Post
    So apparently either (A.) the minor tweeks he thought it needed deserved a knock down of 1.4 points... or (B.) the ACTUAL "best smartphone ever made" will only score a 8.7 out of 10.
    Well he has to leave some room in there for next year's nexus to improve

ROM
    JellyBellyV3.6/FrancoR220

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown33 View Post
    haha touche Yes, next year's nexus will score a 8.7... and then he'll give iPhone5 an 8.7 by default (just to cover his ****)

Or this years LTE version. Having LTE alone is worth an extra .1 in my opinion. By the way, kudos to The Verge. That is an extremely well put together review. It looks amazing, covers everything you'd like to see in a review, and uses a fair ranking system. I'll most likely be reading my reviews there from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown33 View Post
    Phones are rated based on current conditions not on what is possible in the future. Otherwise any phone ever released should get a near 0 rating because a phone released 10 years from now would be leagues above it.

I bet my Nokia 3100 or whatever it was got a 9/10 back in the day.

Global Posts
    1,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Nice review. I'm really excited to get this phone. With every review I watch, I know I won't be disappointed.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

My thoughts exactly. The OG 2 years ago was probably given an 8.6 as well. Now, it's closer to a .6

I enjoyed that review. The Verge is really stepping it up lately.

Nexus...Why do you taunt me?!?!

WOW! The Verge is typically pretty critical, and they said,

"The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced."

This is the NON LTE VERSION.

OMG WE ARE IN FOR SUCH A TREAT

Global Posts
    1,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by Somethingsfishy View Post
    WOW! The Verge is typically pretty critical, and they said,

"The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced."

This is the NON LTE VERSION.

OMG WE ARE IN FOR SUCH A TREAT
    I agree, every review posted so far has been pretty favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post
    Phones are rated based on current conditions not on what is possible in the future. Otherwise any phone ever released should get a near 0 rating because a phone released 10 years from now would be leagues above it.

I bet my Nokia 3100 or whatever it was got a 9/10 back in the day.
    Logic fails those who think we should rate phones based on what will be out next year, good effort in explaining though. Rate it for what it has and does now against others on the market and quite possibly against phones 3-6 months out to rate its futureproofness (wordsmythe at your door).

I would not have expected for this device to meet Josh's requirements. Positively glowing review from a critic who's been criticized for apple favoritism!

Utterly GLOWING review, I am shocked.

Other than the Apple products, Josh's team has always been quite measured at best when reviewing products. The video description as well as the text review is about the most positive I have ever seen them give to a non-Apple product (including This is My Next and Engadget days).

This is very encouraging...
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
    I enjoyed that review. The Verge is really stepping it up lately.

Nexus...Why do you taunt me?!?!
    stepping it up lately? they have only been around for 17 days!! LOL

RollTide!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Banned

Sounded pretty fanboyish to me. I lol'd at him almost calling it the best smartphone ever made when it has a 5 MP unspecial camera, a lesser than average battery (according to his impressions so far), dual core just when quad core is about to come out, a hella **** GPU, and when it's made of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopai View Post
    Sounded pretty fanboyish to me. I lol'd at him almost calling it the best smartphone ever made when it has a 5 MP unspecial camera, a lesser than average battery (according to his impressions so far), dual core just when quad core is about to come out, a hella **** GPU, and when it's made of plastic.
    "best smartphone ever made" would apply to current and past devices. Your mythical quad-core devices are just vapor at this point. Enjoy your wait
    Thanked by:
    Somethingsfishy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopai View Post
    At least you're consistent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast