Are we Nexus/Android fans hypocrites?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Honest question. As an Android / Nexus guy I've found myself recently making excuses for things that I complained about or used against others in the past.

1- No SD card - Admittedly the "you're stuck with what you get" has always been used against iPhoners. Now?? Alot of us accept No SD.

2- Non removable battery - Same as above - Now no removable battery is a bit more accepted then before. Razr.

3- Carrier logo on Nexus device - They were accepted on regular Android phones but NOT on a Nexus device. Now?? Ehhhh its OK I guess? Hopefully the GSM cover will fit or I'll just get a case.

4- Carrier apps on phone (Bloatware) - Hated on regular phones but accepted. No way in hell allowed on a Nexus. The whole idea behind a Nexus device is a phone not touched by the carrier. After all, pure vanilla should be pure right?? Now? mmmmmm ehhhhhhhhh...... its only 2 apps???? I'd probably want that app anyway??? I can always hide them with ICS???

I honestly can't stand any of these but am curious about everyone else's opinions on this matter.
Lets try to go with honesty, OK? I know we all "bend" our opinions to make us feel better about our purchases.

I wouldn't call it "bending" my " opinion". One can acknowledge that there may be something missing while - at the same time - acknowledging that it doesn't matter nearly enough to dissuade me from purchasing this great device. For me, I think it's more like actually assessing the overall product and not neurotically obsessing over every potential minor "shortcoming", sight unseen no less. People need different things, I can understand that. But the hyperbole spewed over any perceived imperfection is quite amusing actually to me ..

I am not downplaying the importance of certain features to certain users, but I am making fun of the responses sometimes given ..

<trigger onslaught of neurotically obsessed responses> :D

Last edited:

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Hahahaha "neurotically obsessing"!!! You have just described me to a T!!!!
I've gotten into it on these very forums complaining about other Nexus "issues" that I didn't think went with the whole "Nexus philosophy".
I can live with all these "shortcomings" ( and already have as I also own the NS).
I have romanticized the Nexus philosophy and haven't looked at it as just another Android phone as so many others have been able to do.

My Dr. says I'm doing a little better though. :) Thanks.

holysnikey

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I do not like a lot of these things but its not like a company is going to custom make a cellphone for me. So until they are available like custom laptops and desktops then we all must accept things for what they are. 1) I certainly don't like the idea of no SD card but using Google Music save basically 50% of the space I use so its not so much a problem. 2) This is a stupid idea to me and exactly why I don't want the Razr among other reasons. 3) I really don't care about the carrier logo and if someone cares that much you can just rub it off or get a case for it which I most likely will. 4) I HATE the carrier apps and that's a huge reason why I want the Nexus and root my phones. The two(2) that are included are not really bloatware to me because they are definitely needed for most people. Now if there was CityID, Amazon, VZ Navigator, VZ App store and all that then I don't know. Adrynalyne said it, the main reason I don't like iOS is the closed ecosystem and strict regulation by them. If Android became closed then I don't know what I'd do. At this point I don't know what would stop me from like Android at this point because I am somewhat of a fanboy now but I definitely am still objective in my opinions.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Honest question. As an Android / Nexus guy I've found myself recently making excuses for things that I complained about or used against others in the past.

1- No SD card - Admittedly the "you're stuck with what you get" has always been used against iPhoners. Now?? Alot of us accept No SD.

2- Non removable battery - Same as above - Now no removable battery is a bit more accepted then before. Razr.

3- Carrier logo on Nexus device - They were accepted on regular Android phones but NOT on a Nexus device. Now?? Ehhhh its OK I guess? Hopefully the GSM cover will fit or I'll just get a case.

4- Carrier apps on phone (Bloatware) - Hated on regular phones but accepted. No way in hell allowed on a Nexus. The whole idea behind a Nexus device is a phone not touched by the carrier. After all, pure vanilla should be pure right?? Now? mmmmmm ehhhhhhhhh...... its only 2 apps???? I'd probably want that app anyway??? I can always hide them with ICS???

I honestly can't stand any of these but am curious about everyone else's opinions on this matter.
Lets try to go with honesty, OK? I know we all "bend" our opinions to make us feel better about our purchases.

No.. we arent hypocrites.. stop trolling!

(but really, yes they all are, and its obvious by their responses)

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
No.. we arent hypocrites.. stop trolling!

(but really, yes they all are, and its obvious by their responses)

Excuse me? Speak for yourself. I've NEVER complained about nor bashed the iPhone for any of the stuff the opening poster mentioned. I frankly don't understand all of issues with the carrier logo and the 2 "bloat" apps.

You clearly don't care to actually listen to people and you've got some sort of weird animosity towards people. If you actually read the responses you would not have said what you said as I clearly stated that the only thing I cared about was the non-removable battery and that's why I didn't get the Razr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781