Dangerous to Buy "Rushed" to Market Nexus?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Bionic was announced in January and launched in September, so it wasn't exactly rushed either, and there were still some initial issues.

That said, I pre-ordered my D2 on the first day it was available, and I didn't have any problems...

The bionic also had issues from the get go. Not to mention it got changed 2 times.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd put it to you like this...if you want something bad enough you will be an early adopter of the products. There are going to be bugs regardless but something tells me that it will be fine for the most part. In case you're wondering...I will be an early adopter of this phone. Someone has to be.

Ditto, I've been an early adopter for most of my phones (Had the original Incredible the day before official launch thanks to a pre-order) and have never had significant issues with a device from the first batch of devices. If there are issues Google will fix them and unlike every other phone out there save the iPhone, the carrier will not get in the way: Google will be solely responsible for the updates which will come faster.

I too have an upgrade waiting and will be buying this phone on the first day or as close to it as I can.

Droid Incredible, Thunderbolt, Droid 3, Droid Bionic... all have been launch day purchases for me. In the off chance you get a dud, remember (on Verizon) you have a 14 day exchange policy to get another new in box phone.

Reactions: underdonk

Alex1x

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Waiting in the Android World:
Waiting for after holiday season = January = CES 2012 = New phones will be announced.
Waiting for after CES phones release = June/July = New phones will be announced for Holiday season.
Waiting for Holiday 2012 phones to be released (quad-core)... and on and on and on...

Waiting in the Android World = Waiting for ever. My next phone WILL be Nexus. Can't wait for Sprint to release something cool. In other words, get it! LoL

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Bionic was announced in January and launched in September, so it wasn't exactly rushed either, and there were still some initial issues..

I wish people would stop calling the Bionic delayed. The Bionic was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHONE from the one announced at CES. Bionic is Verizon's name not Motorola's. Since Moto never got them a phone that worked to their satisfaction they just reused the name for the next big phone from Moto. The phone as it was launched right on time.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would stop calling the Bionic delayed. The Bionic was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHONE from the one announced at CES. Bionic is Verizon's name not Motorola's. Since Moto never got them a phone that worked to their satisfaction they just reused the name for the next big phone from Moto. The phone as it was launched right on time.

No it wasn't launched on time. The Bionic only released due to contractual agreement and was just a stop gap between the summer when it was supposed to launch, and the razr that was set to come out when it did.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the GN is rushed. The Xoom is an example of a product that was used to get honeycomb out when the iPad 2 came out, it was more of a "get your foot in the door" product. It took a while but it is complete now plus Motorola gave a free standard dock for peoples patient for LTE. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing. And I think if the Xoom hadnt have been pushed out when it was Android tablets would be all but dead. I love my Xoom....every post of mine on thing forum has been from my Xoom.

The GN doesn't have the same reasons to be rushed. And considering ICS is based off honeycomb I think for the most part its ready. The omap soc has been used with LTE , honeycomb has been used with LTE, so I think maybe a couple little kinks but its ready to go.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Granted, software is google and updates especially for software related problems will be fast. However, it it still a Samsung device.
Personally, I am waiting for a month or two to find out if the radio is better than that found in the Fascinate I had for a few days. It was terrible and even though I have had a few problems with the X that replaced the Fascinate, it has always had a strong radio. And, that is important since it is a phone first, a computer second.

So just remember, all the messages I have read talk about software, not one talks about hardware. And that will take time to find answers too. It may end up being the best in hardware and software, but it could end up being the best software with hardware that sucks.

I'll give it a month or two.....

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
No it wasn't launched on time. The Bionic only released due to contractual agreement and was just a stop gap between the summer when it was supposed to launch, and the razr that was set to come out when it did.

The device released as Bionic (code named Targa or whatever) was always intended to be a third quarter device. All they did was change the name to fill VZW's order for a "Bionic" At one point they were talking a possible July launch because of the demand for Bionic but in the end it came out right about when it was supposed to.

This discussion has nothing to do with the RAZR which was never intended as a Verizon exclusive. It was an international phone that VZW chose to pick up and re-brand slightly as a US exclusive.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So just remember, all the messages I have read talk about software, not one talks about hardware. And that will take time to find answers too. It may end up being the best in hardware and software, but it could end up being the best software with hardware that sucks.

I'll give it a month or two.....

The whole point here though is to be FIRST. If you get a GNex you get the new version of Android FIRST, you get each new update FIRST. If you wait you may get slightly better hardware but you will not get the updates FIRST. How many Gingerbread devices get updates each time Google pushes out a new point release? I can only think of two: Nexus One and Nexus S.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
IMO VZ screwed the pooch if the phone was ready for release weeks ago and they're just sitting on it. A month ago, even a two weeks ago, I would have pre-ordered for this phone for $300. But little by little the excitement has died down, at least for me. By the time it's finally released (whenever that is) I'll probably wait for a sale. One will be along by Christmas at Amazon, Best Buy or Wirefly pushing the price down to $99 or less. After CES it may be even less.

Thanks VZ for the buzzkill. By the time I get my Nexus I'll probably have had ICS on my Droiid 2 for a month via custom ROM.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't care who you buy it from. Actually, I don't think Verizon makes much of anything (in fact it has to pay for the full cost of the phone (even if its less than the non-contract selling price) on the phones. It wants you locked into a new 2 year contract so it can get monthly fees from you. As long as you stay on Verizon it doesn't care what phone you use (although I'm sure it likes switchers, especially the ones that end up with a tiered data plan - why do you think they're doing the double data promotion for LTE). VZW actually stated that they want to get switched over to LTE as quickly as possible so their 3G network doesn't get maxed out.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The whole point here though is to be FIRST. If you get a GNex you get the new version of Android FIRST, you get each new update FIRST. If you wait you may get slightly better hardware but you will not get the updates FIRST. How many Gingerbread devices get updates each time Google pushes out a new point release? I can only think of two: Nexus One and Nexus S.

I would believe the whole point is to get a phone that works when you need it and that is a combination of software AND hardware. As I implied earlier, you can have the latest and greatest software from Google but if the hardware from Samsung does not work, you have a brick.

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought, will Google take the responsibility of making the 3G to 4G switching on this phone? If not this this thing will be a Verizon exclusive POS. This means that the updates will come from VZ not Google. Wait and see!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought, will Google take the responsibility of making the 3G to 4G switching on this phone? If not this this thing will be a Verizon exclusive POS. This means that the updates will come from VZ not Google. Wait and see!

Your logic baffles me.

The only nexus device that had absolutely no connection to the carrier was the Nexus One. The Nexus S had differences depending on carrier and yes I am sure those carriers did do some testing to make sure the device worked properly on their network.

Where you get the idea that updates would come from Verizon I have no idea. It seems quite simple. Google/Samsung give VZW several test devices and they test it out on the network and port My Verizon and Backup Assistant over to ICS, test it, and then send the APK's to Google saying please put this on your phone and Google says sure. Updates/patches for those apps will come from the market the same as they always have (at least for My Verizon). They are just APK's it's not as if there is an entire OS overlay.

The 3G/4G switching would be in the base-band and will most likely be written by Samsung engineers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan