Curious About Verizon Exclusivity

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking about how long this will be Verizon exclusive, mainly how it's determined. Maybe Google told Verizon they have x weeks to keep it exclusive after they launch it, but hopefully they set a date that other carriers will get the phone. I know Google wants to have this phone on as many carriers as possible and Verizon doesn't seem to think getting the phone out is that urgent. I don't know all the details at Verizon, but from the general feeling of the rumors that are floating around this phone has much lower priority than the Razr and Rezound.

I feel like the longer this takes to release, Verizon is sort of screwing Google and Samsung in terms of potential US sales (especially if they miss Black Friday). Has anyone heard any news on when other carriers might get the Nexus? If Google said other carriers would have it by Christmas that would put some pressure on Verizon to release it faster even though it might undercut the sales of the amazing Droid Razr which is obviously selling like hot cakes right now.

ardabey

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Verizon already bought, or guaranteed to buy, a large number of these phones from samsung in exchange for the exclusivity. So verizon's dick move doesn't affect samsung that much, at least in the short term.

In the long term, I certainly hope the whole "verizon is dragging its corporate feet to release our phone" thing makes google and samsung think twice before taking a nexus phone to verizon's evil door.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
That exclusive deal kinda kicked us from behind also..
I heard that at&t is taking preorders sometime next week so everybody in the four corners of the world even at&t will get it before Verizon's customer. Sad thing is some peeps are ordering from the uk to ship here and adding it to T-Mobile even doh its GSM still...
Fed up with how Verizon deals with things.. I just hope that merge changes things. Google and moto opens a new phone services lol.
I'm done doing the forum searching.. I'm close to buying the rezound but maybe that'd what they want you to do?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Verizon already bought, or guaranteed to buy, a large number of these phones from samsung in exchange for the exclusivity. So verizon's dick move doesn't affect samsung that much, at least in the short term.

In the long term, I certainly hope the whole "verizon is dragging its corporate feet to release our phone" thing makes google and samsung think twice before taking a nexus phone to verizon's evil door.

I agree with this and, they probably paid Google a big sum to put their VZW logo on the back also, it's all about money. That's the only way I can see any of this making any sense and, I still don't like it.

Reaster1

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
MotorolaVerizonApple

V
HTC

Motorola in the front, Apple in the rear, and HTC gets to film it! Come on Verizon, Samsung wants to get some too!!! Hahahaha

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm close to buying the rezound but maybe that'd what they want you to do?

This is exactly why I haven't bought a Rezound yet. As I've stated multiple times, Verizon is holding on to the GN as long as possible so that they can get as many sales on the Razr and Rezound as they can. And honestly, why shouldn't they? Why not pander to the masses vs our 1% - 5% of sales? I mean this from a strictly monetary point of view. Verizon wants money, as much money as possible and some financial research analyst monkey somewhere said that the GN is not a flagship product. Verizon said OK, put the push(read advertising money) on the Razr and that was that.

OT: I really don't think Big Red cares about the exclusivity. It's a great selling point, but it would be a much better one if they actually advertised the product. Without that key factor I can't help but think exclusivity looked better on paper for them.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why I haven't bought a Rezound yet. As I've stated multiple times, Verizon is holding on to the GN as long as possible so that they can get as many sales on the Razr and Rezound as they can. And honestly, why shouldn't they? Why not pander to the masses vs our 1% - 5% of sales? I mean this from a strictly monetary point of view. Verizon wants money, as much money as possible and some financial research analyst monkey somewhere said that the GN is not a flagship product. Verizon said OK, put the push(read advertising money) on the Razr and that was that.

OT: I really don't think Big Red cares about the exclusivity. It's a great selling point, but it would be a much better one if they actually advertised the product. Without that key factor I can't help but think exclusivity looked better on paper for them.

I agree. I'm sure Google and Samsung are pressuring them well St least Samsung so they could have some action unless someone convinced Samsung to release it on a later date cause it can't compete with rezound or Razr?

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if it was confirmed by Google or anything, but Verizon supposedly has a period of exclusivity. I also read in some rumor that Verizon passed on the GS2 to have a phone that nobody else had, and that makes sense to me. If they have an exclusive product, why not take advantage of that. There is no way Google just offered to give Verizon exclusivity, I'm sure Verizon had to pay a lot for that opportunity. I'm basically wondering if their time is counting down even though the device isn't out yet (it should be), or if Google made some bad choices and doesn't start the clocks until Verizon gets the phone out.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
And they'll probably start pushing this with Samsung after Black Friday. They will do well with all three phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12