Honest review I thought that I would Share!!!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
whats interesting about this review is that regardless of all the cons. Everyone still says its the best android phone they have ever used despite all their gripes and bug issues.

I agree. Also, everyone is not trying to do the things the OP listed. They're are a lot of things I would like to know that no one talks about. This is why I can't wait until I get the phone myself.

It's interesting hearing about the old search function though. I never knew about that and, it sounds like something I would have liked very much. I used the search but, I didn't know it was so universal. However since I never used it that way, that one thing will not stop me from getting this phone.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the OG droid with the search button and I never knew it would launch a search within the app you were using. I tried it within Gmail and see how this works.

I think the intent is to have developers include the search function as part of their app. Current apps that don't already do this will present a problem and need workarounds, and current apps built for previous versions of the system won't be able to do other things ICS brings until developers using the new SDK update their apps to make them fully ICS compatible.

It's a new system bringing new possibilities, along with change. As with any software release, especially new X.0 releases issues, problems and the like usually get resolved in following X.1.... version updates.

I appreciate this honest review.

CFD323

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but with ICS, how do I transfer files from phone to pc?

W/my thunderbolt I just plug in the phone to my laptop via usb and drag & drop files back & forth. Not understanding what's changed with this method in ICS?

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but with ICS, how do I transfer files from phone to pc?

W/my thunderbolt I just plug in the phone to my laptop via usb and drag & drop files back & forth. Not understanding what's changed with this method in ICS?

Nothing if you are on windows, but if you are on a Mac you will need some 3rd party support for it to work

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have never used the search button on my thunderbolt. Not once.

wow, you are missing out! long press search button is your gateway to all of the voice commands.

long press- text wife running late see you at 10

long press- navigate to 1022 misty lane

etc, etc,

no need to open app or swipe to different screens, it is always there ready to go.

his comments on soft button are EXACTLY what i thought would be revealed about the new design. i really dont think i am going to like them. i almost want to get an older or current phone with the capacitive buttons. they are always there! i would like to know how the mapping of buttons on current phones will work with ICS.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
wow, you are missing out! long press search button is your gateway to all of the voice commands.

etc, etc,

no need to open app or swipe to different screens, it is always there ready to go.

I'll miss that too, but I'm sure we'll get used to the new way, whatever that is. You can always put the Voice Search app icon on the home screen or as a dock icon and then you're back to a single press for all that goodness. It wont be exactly the same, but pretty close.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Also, everyone is not trying to do the things the OP listed. They're are a lot of things I would like to know that no one talks about. This is why I can't wait until I get the phone myself.

It's interesting hearing about the old search function though. I never knew about that and, it sounds like something I would have liked very much. I used the search but, I didn't know it was so universal. However since I never used it that way, that one thing will not stop me from getting this phone.

I didn't know that until probably middle of this past year. I learned about it on Leo Laportes radio show.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes man, this is exactly how I operate. Another example,

Long Press, send "email"...to "joey"...subject "tonight"...message, "what time should I meet you at the restaurant question mark."

Long Press, search for "gas station."

And many others.

So, what do we know about workarounds for this? It looks like we have to use the Microphone icon on the home screen to start Voice Actions, but I removed that from my home screen on my phone. From this review it sounds like we cannot remove that anymore, which is one of those design changes that I'm talking about that makes choices for us, which I hate. Anyway, I can get over that since they re-designed the look of it to limit it's footprint and make it transparent. But what about when we're in-app? That's the big question.

Brandon

Last edited:

nuchdog

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the nice post! Most of those flaws I had already heard about, but some were new. To be clear, all of those flaws are with ICS and not the nexus itself (minus the camera angle, etc.). The nexus will always be the first phone to receive updates from google to patch those flaws. For me its simple, I would rather have ICS over Gingerbread. It will have bugs, but the nexus is probably the best longterm investment for a phone that will be supported as ICS develops.

Reactions: NewAge

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure it doesn't sync with Facebook? That would be dissapointing as I like all the pics for contacts.
But I don't go through the FB app to sync. Usually I go under Contacts, then Add/Get Friends, or under accounts ->sync. I've never went through the app to sync my FB friends and my contacts.
Can you check this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol