Rationalizing the Galaxy Nexus

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
This is a bit long but I feel like there is a lot to say about WHY I am holding out through the lenghty release window of the Galaxy Nexus. And I'm wondering if others out there share my feelings or if I am simply off the reservation on this.

I'm currently stuck with a (quickly dying) Blackberry Curve 8530. When I bought it nearly two years ago, my decision was based on three simple things:
1) I wanted to be able to get my ISP e-mail
2) I wanted to be able to surf the web
3) I wanted a physical keyboard

Beyond that, I had no clue what I was doing. And while I consider myself a little bit of a tech-nerd, I knew at the time I selected the device that I was most likely "settling" because I didn't know what else was really out there and Blackberry had the brand recognition (and I was on Verizon and was very happy with them). Here I am sitting on my final "new every two" upgrade opportunity and I'm wanting to make sure I, again, make a decision that is going to satisfy my needs that I have laid out. But this time, I also want to make sure that I make a more well informed decision (better understand the true benefits/restrictions and strengths/weaknesses). I want to enjoy my next device for at least the next two years.

I've done as much searching for written and video previews/reviews as I possibly can. I've done so to the point that I worry about my wife seeking a divorce due to my intense searching and attention to my desire to pick a frakking phone. ;-) My wife has an iPhone 4, my son has an iPod Touch and my best friend has the Droid X. I've had the chance to play around on theam all (the iPhone much more extensively of course).

In short, it seems to me that the following things apply:
- iPhones have a reputation of high quality
- iOS is simple, easy to use
- the Apple ecosystem is a closed, controlled, tightly defined and regulated experience
- Android device quality ranges from horrible to excellent
- Android is overlayed with device manufacturer-specific "skins" that offer varying degrees of OS experience
- Android allows for more personalization/customization
- the Android ecosystem is an open, unregulated experience

So with some of those basics in mind, I began my research into what would make ME happy. I really enjoyed the iOS and how "slick" the experience seemed to be. But I felt the experience was a little too child-like or cartoonish for some reason. I'm still not sure I can put my finger on it but that is the best way to describe it. On the other hand, I was intrigued by my friend's Droid and some of the things that it seemed to allow me to do. The feeling seemed more "adult" for some reason. So, in essence, my view of the perception of the simplicity of iOS vs. the complexity of Android came across as one of "user maturity."

From an ecosystem perspective, I saw some neat things my friends with Androids could do with their Android devices (e.g. remote video security of their home/property, remote control of model railroad trains, etc.) that I wasn't too confident could be found in the Apple ecosystem. And I'm not one to D/L just anything simply because of its name...I think I'm smart enough to stick with things I find recommended from reliable websites, so the fear of malicious apps isn't something that applies to me.

So from an operating system perspective, I started leaning towards Android.

But then my attention turned to the device capabilities and started looking into my options. Based on what I found, I decided that the GSII reviews were enough to convince me that IT was absolutely the device I wanted without any equal. Of course, I was crushed when it was revealed that Verizon would not deploy it in its lineup. And therein lies my discovery of the impending Galaxy Nexus.

I have to say, the reason I am so juiced up about the Gnex is not because of the device or the OS but because of the COMBINATION of the OS and the device.

And here's how I rationalize it:
The device's hardware seems optimized to run on the new OS and the new OS seems to do everything that I would personally enjoy working with on a device. Does it have the highest speed processor (1.5Ghz vs 1.2Ghz)? No. Does it have the highest megapixel count on the camera? No. Does it have the thinnest measurements? No. Does it have an external metal construction? No. Does Ice Cream Sandwich make me WANT to use it? Yes. Does the hardware on the Gnex make me feel like it would be a complete joy to behold? Yes.

I liken it to an automobile. Just because a car has a relatively high horsepower rating, that rating doesn't matter if it is only at the redline of the engine, nor if there is insufficient torque to apply it properly to the wheels. It doesn't matter if the wheels are a certain size if the quality of the tires is not up to par. It doesn't matter if the cargo space is of a certain size if it is an awkward layout.

My point here is that it seems like the hardware included in the Galaxy Nexus is suited perfectly to showcase everything that Ice Cream Sandwich can deliver. Perhaps the camera is only 5MP because of the need to provide for endless zero shutter lag photos to be captured. Perhaps the choice of installed memory vs. micro-SDHC is to provide for faster performance. Perhaps the processor type and speed was chosen to optimize performance vs. battery strain.

Whenever I read reviews of or comments about the iPhone, I can't recall ever seeing anyone complain that there is no removable memory. I haven't seen any complaints that the battery cannot be removed. I have only seen a few people remark on the smaller screen size in a mildly disappointed manner (same goes for the lack of 4G support). I haven't seen many complaints around the fact that the processor is underclocked compared to its actual capabilities nor the fact that the iPhone continues to provide only 512MB of RAM.

In fact, it seems the vast majority of reviews praise to the fullest extent of how Apple provides the right balance of hardware speed and capability to support its OS. Any perceived shortcomings are glossed over in a weirdly diluted need to praise Apple for its all-too-perfect products.

As I have read the reviews and specs of the Galaxy Nexus, it seems like its hardware components were designed to do everything for Ice Cream Sandwich that the iPhone 4S was designed to do to support iOS 5.

The single biggest (pre)complaint I've been reading is about the 5MP camera. I am a semi-pro photographer and I 1) use a DSLR for any serious photography work and I 2) have watched the videos of the use of the Gnex and see the people shaking the phone quite hard during their attempts to rapid-fire zero lag shots with it. Therefore, I'm pretty confident the camera will deliver what I want out of it.

In my mostly uneducated--but quickly trying to remedy it--mind, there are some conclusions to which I have arrived. The camera is balanced to deliver what the software can actually force on the hardware. The processor speed and non-removable memory deliver the best system performance to guarantee maximum use of Ice Cream Sandwich. The screen (and its Pentile display) is optimized for HD display qualities of the intended screen size along with battery power consumption. I sincerely doubt Samsung--coming fresh off the massive success and accompanying reputation gained from the GSII--would risk a substandard device that accompanies Google's single biggest software showcase since its inception.

Therefore, I am confident that what I plan to purchase has the right HP/torque/tire combination to suit my needs (not to mention the dandy creature comforts of the cabin).

So am I over simplifying this? Or is this a rational decision on my part?

Reactions: oxymoron

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is like Ferrari failing to release the Enzo until this year. Wait, no, make that next year. Scratch that! Try 2013! Actually, maybe it's better if you get your 650 grand back.

kidserious

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
This is a bit long but I feel like there is a lot to say about WHY I am holding out through the lenghty release window of the Galaxy Nexus. And I'm wondering if others out there share my feelings or if I am simply off the reservation on this.

I'm currently stuck with a (quickly dying) Blackberry Curve 8530. When I bought it nearly two years ago, my decision was based on three simple things:
1) I wanted to be able to get my ISP e-mail
2) I wanted to be able to surf the web
3) I wanted a physical keyboard

Beyond that, I had no clue what I was doing. And while I consider myself a little bit of a tech-nerd, I knew at the time I selected the device that I was most likely "settling" because I didn't know what else was really out there and Blackberry had the brand recognition (and I was on Verizon and was very happy with them). Here I am sitting on my final "new every two" upgrade opportunity and I'm wanting to make sure I, again, make a decision that is going to satisfy my needs that I have laid out. But this time, I also want to make sure that I make a more well informed decision (better understand the true benefits/restrictions and strengths/weaknesses). I want to enjoy my next device for at least the next two years.

I've done as much searching for written and video previews/reviews as I possibly can. I've done so to the point that I worry about my wife seeking a divorce due to my intense searching and attention to my desire to pick a frakking phone. ;-) My wife has an iPhone 4, my son has an iPod Touch and my best friend has the Droid X. I've had the chance to play around on theam all (the iPhone much more extensively of course).

In short, it seems to me that the following things apply:
- iPhones have a reputation of high quality
- iOS is simple, easy to use
- the Apple ecosystem is a closed, controlled, tightly defined and regulated experience
- Android device quality ranges from horrible to excellent
- Android is overlayed with device manufacturer-specific "skins" that offer varying degrees of OS experience
- Android allows for more personalization/customization
- the Android ecosystem is an open, unregulated experience

So with some of those basics in mind, I began my research into what would make ME happy. I really enjoyed the iOS and how "slick" the experience seemed to be. But I felt the experience was a little too child-like or cartoonish for some reason. I'm still not sure I can put my finger on it but that is the best way to describe it. On the other hand, I was intrigued by my friend's Droid and some of the things that it seemed to allow me to do. The feeling seemed more "adult" for some reason. So, in essence, my view of the perception of the simplicity of iOS vs. the complexity of Android came across as one of "user maturity."

From an ecosystem perspective, I saw some neat things my friends with Androids could do with their Android devices (e.g. remote video security of their home/property, remote control of model railroad trains, etc.) that I wasn't too confident could be found in the Apple ecosystem. And I'm not one to D/L just anything simply because of its name...I think I'm smart enough to stick with things I find recommended from reliable websites, so the fear of malicious apps isn't something that applies to me.

So from an operating system perspective, I started leaning towards Android.

But then my attention turned to the device capabilities and started looking into my options. Based on what I found, I decided that the GSII reviews were enough to convince me that IT was absolutely the device I wanted without any equal. Of course, I was crushed when it was revealed that Verizon would not deploy it in its lineup. And therein lies my discovery of the impending Galaxy Nexus.

I have to say, the reason I am so juiced up about the Gnex is not because of the device or the OS but because of the COMBINATION of the OS and the device.

And here's how I rationalize it:
The device's hardware seems optimized to run on the new OS and the new OS seems to do everything that I would personally enjoy working with on a device. Does it have the highest speed processor (1.5Ghz vs 1.2Ghz)? No. Does it have the highest megapixel count on the camera? No. Does it have the thinnest measurements? No. Does it have an external metal construction? No. Does Ice Cream Sandwich make me WANT to use it? Yes. Does the hardware on the Gnex make me feel like it would be a complete joy to behold? Yes.

I liken it to an automobile. Just because a car has a relatively high horsepower rating, that rating doesn't matter if it is only at the redline of the engine, nor if there is insufficient torque to apply it properly to the wheels. It doesn't matter if the wheels are a certain size if the quality of the tires is not up to par. It doesn't matter if the cargo space is of a certain size if it is an awkward layout.

My point here is that it seems like the hardware included in the Galaxy Nexus is suited perfectly to showcase everything that Ice Cream Sandwich can deliver. Perhaps the camera is only 5MP because of the need to provide for endless zero shutter lag photos to be captured. Perhaps the choice of installed memory vs. micro-SDHC is to provide for faster performance. Perhaps the processor type and speed was chosen to optimize performance vs. battery strain.

Whenever I read reviews of or comments about the iPhone, I can't recall ever seeing anyone complain that there is no removable memory. I haven't seen any complaints that the battery cannot be removed. I have only seen a few people remark on the smaller screen size in a mildly disappointed manner (same goes for the lack of 4G support). I haven't seen many complaints around the fact that the processor is underclocked compared to its actual capabilities nor the fact that the iPhone continues to provide only 512MB of RAM.

In fact, it seems the vast majority of reviews praise to the fullest extent of how Apple provides the right balance of hardware speed and capability to support its OS. Any perceived shortcomings are glossed over in a weirdly diluted need to praise Apple for its all-too-perfect products.

As I have read the reviews and specs of the Galaxy Nexus, it seems like its hardware components were designed to do everything for Ice Cream Sandwich that the iPhone 4S was designed to do to support iOS 5.

The single biggest (pre)complaint I've been reading is about the 5MP camera. I am a semi-pro photographer and I 1) use a DSLR for any serious photography work and I 2) have watched the videos of the use of the Gnex and see the people shaking the phone quite hard during their attempts to rapid-fire zero lag shots with it. Therefore, I'm pretty confident the camera will deliver what I want out of it.

In my mostly uneducated--but quickly trying to remedy it--mind, there are some conclusions to which I have arrived. The camera is balanced to deliver what the software can actually force on the hardware. The processor speed and non-removable memory deliver the best system performance to guarantee maximum use of Ice Cream Sandwich. The screen (and its Pentile display) is optimized for HD display qualities of the intended screen size along with battery power consumption. I sincerely doubt Samsung--coming fresh off the massive success and accompanying reputation gained from the GSII--would risk a substandard device that accompanies Google's single biggest software showcase since its inception.

Therefore, I am confident that what I plan to purchase has the right HP/torque/tire combination to suit my needs (not to mention the dandy creature comforts of the cabin).

So am I over simplifying this? Or is this a rational decision on my part?

Very well said. This is exactly why the specs of the nexus, although seemingly less than herculean, have never bothered me at all. It's all about the OS, it has been optimized to run this particular hardware. It's gonna be amazing!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

GTX1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I only read your conclusion because to be honest with you I love to read long posts, but yours literally took forever to get to the point.

I think your conclusion is correct except on one part:

The screen isn't "optimized for HD qualities." It has a 1280 x 720 resolution. It even has a pixel density of 316ppi, iPhone 4S and 4 (and iPod 4G) has 326ppi for a reference. It's also over an inch larger in size than the iPhone's: 4.65" vs. 3.5"

It's a great screen. Not one reviewer has said anything other than "stunning." Not to say that you didn't say it isn't a good screen,(I didn't read the review) but everyone seems to put PenTile and horrible resolution together no matter how much more advanced the technology is than other generations.

Reactions: jephanie

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Very well said. This is exactly why the specs of the nexus, although seemingly less than herculean, have never bothered me at all. It's all about the OS, it has been optimized to run this particular hardware. It's gonna be amazing!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Yeah, when it finally comes out in 2016...

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Great thoughts, the GNex will be my 5th android device (including my tablet) so I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for now, lol. I see this being the device I use for quite some time (I might even make it the 2 years!). Stock android and LTE and I am set. It's been too much trouble to get rid of sense on my Tbolt. LTE is the only thing that kept me from going back to my DX months ago.

kidserious

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My dad is a regional manager at verizon for the coachella valley, he told me the galaxy nexus will be available on Monday.

You know what br0, you're a troll. You come into a thread and drop one post about "the nexus will be released on x day" and then you never respond to anybody who has any questions for you. Not cool man. GTFO!!

Meh

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My dad is a regional manager at verizon for the coachella valley, he told me the galaxy nexus will be available on Monday.

Aren't you the same guy who said you received training and it would be available on 11/14?

Not to be mean but, I hope no one takes this serious, I think he just likes to play around.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

kidserious

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Aren't you the same guy who said you received training and it would be available on 11/14?

Not to be mean but, I hope no one takes this serious, I think he just likes to play around.

He's not going to respond. That's his MO. I urge all of you not to respond to him. That's what he wants. I only responded to him to call him out as a troll. Don't feed him guys.

Meh

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting you think android is more adult when google is notoriously playful. Motorola's skin is definitely manly, but then again 2 women I work with have dx2's so maybe I don't know anything.

With regards to the petile display, wasn't there a blog about that showing why it was the best choice? Also, even the best tvs have much lower dpi's and nobody says they look pixelated.

Reactions: jephanie

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting you think android is more adult when google is notoriously playful.

Very true statement and I think the playful part of Google shows through with some of the stuff they've built into ICS, such as the video gadgets and the ability to resize the widgets. But when I look at the screens and look at the icons, folders, font, etc., ICS simply looks more "grown up" while the iOS has a certain cartoonish vibe to it in comparison.

With regards to the petile display, wasn't there a blog about that showing why it was the best choice? Also, even the best tvs have much lower dpi's and nobody says they look pixelated.

I've been scouring for info about Pentile and--based on what I've been able to find and especially the reviews that have been coming out so far--I'm not worried in the least.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting you think android is more adult when google is notoriously playful.

I had the first three iPhones, but now have an Incredible. I can see the "more adult" thing and agree with it.

The playfulness of Google is a marketing ploy. Without the little robot and cutesy stuff, what would be left? Especially if you put that question into the context of what's been happening with Android over the past couple of years. You'd be left with a not so polished experience and a perception that an Android phone only works well if you root it.

IMHO, Google had to be fanciful with their marketing, or be labeled too complex and buggy for the average phone owner.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting you think android is more adult when google is notoriously playful. Motorola's skin is definitely manly, but then again 2 women I work with have dx2's so maybe I don't know anything.

That's cuz their tv screen reviewers don't take microscopes along with them when they do product reviews.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the first three iPhones, but now have an Incredible. I can see the "more adult" thing and agree with it.

The playfulness of Google is a marketing ploy. Without the little robot and cutesy stuff, what would be left? Especially if you put that question into the context of what's been happening with Android over the past couple of years. You'd be left with a not so polished experience and a perception that an Android phone only works well if you root it.

IMHO, Google had to be fanciful with their marketing, or be labeled too complex and buggy for the average phone owner.

uhm.. not really =/

Even outside of Android, Google has always been having the playful image, it is shown through out their brand image, including their official Google site.

After all, the founder of Google themselves has always been the more playful ones among all these mega tech corps.