Bestbuy vs VerizonWireless

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have decided against getting a Galaxy Nexus from Amazon Wireless only because I'm old fashion and like to be able to walk into a store if I have any issues or want to make a return/exchange. So I'm contemplating whether I want to get my phone through Verizon Wireless or Best Buy. The prices look to be more or less the same across the board for newer devices, but I'm interested in the: return policies, fees, discounts and insurance plans.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy sucks. I use them only as a last resort or if I can maximize the benefits of their Rewards program when their prices are actually competitive (which isn't often enough).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So I have decided against getting a Galaxy Nexus from Amazon Wireless only because I'm old fashion and like to be able to walk into a store if I have any issues or want to make a return/exchange. So I'm contemplating whether I want to get my phone through Verizon Wireless or Best Buy. The prices look to be more or less the same across the board for newer devices, but I'm interested in the: return policies, fees, discounts and insurance plans.

If you are buying it outright... Verizon is your best bet. If you are interested in the return policy... Verizon currently is your best bet because the return date from now is January 9th (in a corporate store). You know what my recommendation is.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Bestbuy will more than likely sell the phone for $100 more. They will price match Verizon as long as one of the Verizon stores in your town has it in stock. And with Bestbuy you can also buy the buyback option for around $60. With that you can sell your phone back to Bestbuy for half of the original price of the phone with in the first 6 months and then they give you less money after that.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
But ordering online you get to save on sales tax. Some of you guys live in states with outrageous tax.

Sent from my SCH-I510

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
And with Bestbuy you can also buy the buyback option for around $60. With that you can sell your phone back to Bestbuy for half of the original price of the phone with in the first 6 months and then they give you less money after that.

So as long as you decide to spend another $200-$300 on another phone, you can get $110 out of your original $300 back ($300 / 2 = $150; $150 - $60 = $110). Realistically, you don't get half back but more like a third back. Just need to point out the actual math in Best Buy's marketing scheme to suck more money out of its customers.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
But ordering online you get to save on sales tax. Some of you guys live in states with outrageous tax.

Sent from my SCH-I510

That's not true. Sales tax will be charged to you if the retailer operates any physical locations (retail locations, distribution warehouses, etc.) in the state in which you reside.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
That's not true. Sales tax will be charged to you if the retailer operates any physical locations (retail locations, distribution warehouses, etc.) in the state in which you reside.

Ok, by buying from an online retailer which does not have a physical presence in your state you can save on sales tax. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I510

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe most retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, etc. require you to sign their own contract as well as Verizon's. It usually doesn't mean much other than having an additional ETF if you cancel within the first 6 months. As you noted though, they often have great prices for older phones (Radio Shack has the Incredible 2 for free with new/renewed contract right now), but newest phones are almost always the same prices everywhere.

Also, I don't know if this applies to you, but if I understand correctly, only Verizon Wireless will let you get an upgrade price with an annual upgrade option, if you still have one of those. For example, I got my last phone on November 18, 2010 (before Verizon discontinued the annual upgrade ~January 16, 2011). Therefore, I am grandfathered into the annual upgrade option and can get the upgrade price for a new phone (might have to pay $20 more though). If I purchased a new phone from Best Buy, Amazon, etc., then I would have to pay the full retail price until my 2-year contract expired on November 18, 2012.

Incidentally, if I wanted to upgrade to something like an Incredible 2 for cheap retailer prices, I would be out of luck. Again, with one-year upgrade option, I can ONLY get upgrade price at Verizon Wireless. That was probably a lot of information that you didn't even ask for! :D

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a postcard from my local Verizon store. They gave me a "$50 off your next smartphone" and a "Buy One Get One Free Accessory" coupon, so they win my business. Even without those coupons, I usually go to the VZW stores instead of Best Buy/Costco/etc. Personal preference.

chuck41520

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Go for Best Buy. Their return policy is January 26th at the moment and this applies to cell phones. Their contract is non existent and they also have their service plan which will replace your phone with a refurb or brand new phone if you do ANYTHING to it short of losing it. It seems we have a lot of BBY haters in this forum. I have had nothing but good luck with them and am happy to say I am "renting" a Rezound until Verizon gets their act together and releases this dang phone!

Dec 8 is OK by me as long as I have another snappy phone in my pocket that isn't my OG DROID

Reactions: Ezduzit

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my SCH-I510
That isn't entirely accurate. If we order online at VZW In CA, we wouldn't because Verizon has offices and such in the state. About the only thing we might get away with is not paying the ridiculous electronics disposal fee/tax.

Da Black Mamba

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

If you're worried about return policy, go to Best Buy. No re stocking fees and you have till the second week in january to exchange it. For insurance, VZW covers lost or stolen but requires a deductible for that or any physical damage. Best Buy does not cover lost or stolen but no deductible for physical damage. Prices are gunna be the same for the phones, and no, third party retailers don't require an additional contract to be signed as someone else stated.

Da Black Mamba

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Bestbuy will more than likely sell the phone for $100 more. They will price match Verizon as long as one of the Verizon stores in your town has it in stock. And with Bestbuy you can also buy the buyback option for around $60. With that you can sell your phone back to Bestbuy for half of the original price of the phone with in the first 6 months and then they give you less money after that.

$100 more? For the two years I've been with the company, I have yet to see a new phone be priced higher on contract than a carrier.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Prices are gunna be the same for the phones, and no, third party retailers don't require an additional contract to be signed as someone else stated.

Third parties do have an extra contract. Maybe not the people BB do business with but others do. Lets Talk for example has the additional 6mo. I know this for a fact because the BX mobile exchange gets their phones through them and I was informed of it upon paying $99 for my TB in August.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Will Best Buy sell an out of contract phone? I think I remember reading that Costco only sells contract devices when you have an upgrade available.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Go for Best Buy. Their return policy is January 26th at the moment and this applies to cell phones. Their contract is non existent and they also have their service plan which will replace your phone with a refurb or brand new phone if you do ANYTHING to it short of losing it. It seems we have a lot of BBY haters in this forum. I have had nothing but good luck with them and am happy to say I am "renting" a Rezound until Verizon gets their act together and releases this dang phone!

Dec 8 is OK by me as long as I have another snappy phone in my pocket that isn't my OG DROID

I was just there last night and they told me its still only 30 days

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys! Keep them coming.

I also have a question about whether any of the two have any fees on top of the phone?

Also, I forgot about Radio Shack -- what's the experience like there compared to others?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Third parties do have an extra contract. Maybe not the people BB do business with but others do. Lets Talk for example has the additional 6mo. I know this for a fact because the BX mobile exchange gets their phones through them and I was informed of it upon paying $99 for my TB in August.

I think let's talk and wirefly are affiliated, but I know wirefly has an etf. You cannot alter any aspect of your plan including buying a different phone off contact for 6 months. It's a $300 fee. This is on top of vz's etf. So if you were to switch carriers in that 6 months, you would pay dearly. It's in the fine print, they are so sneaky.

Sent from my SCH-I510

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08