Another honest review by someone on the Mac forums

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Another sheep? No, but this review isn't unbiased. I haven't heard anything negative about GSM battery life tell this gent to try the 1st Gen lte phones out.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
He talked about lag. Said that transitions and typing is still lags and that he can't quite understand how such a beefy phone (hardware wise) still has this problem.

Hrm.......Still I think as improvements come (and they will), the phone will get better.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
He talked about lag. Said that transitions and typing is still lags and that he can't quite understand how such a beefy phone (hardware wise) still has this problem.

Hrm.......Still I think as improvements come (and they will), the phone will get better.

I can only hope for updates to improve performance, but I have drastically sped up my Incredible by flashing CM7 and using LauncherPro. The difference between Sense and CM7 is mind blowing, and I don't understand why someone would ever consider selling a phone with such bloated and slow software on it (Sense). I do know that the Nexus will run AOSP, but I still think I'll be able to squeeze that much more performance and battery life out of it with other ROMs and kernels.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I can only hope for updates to improve performance, but I have drastically sped up my Incredible by flashing CM7 and using LauncherPro. The difference between Sense and CM7 is mind blowing, and I don't understand why someone would ever consider selling a phone with such bloated and slow software on it (Sense). I do know that the Nexus will run AOSP, but I still think I'll be able to squeeze that much more performance and battery life out of it with other ROMs and kernels.

Totally agree. I'm sure there is a lot of untapped performance in the GN. I'm also extremely curious to find out how well the OMAP 4460 overclocks and scales in comparison to it's released 1.2ghz version. Improved kernels with better voltage handling should allow for greater amounts of performance including battery life.

The OG Droid I have today is most definitely not the same as when I first bought it. I'm on Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast (GPA19) and have it overclocked to 1000ghz vs. what it was first at way back when.

I want to take my GN to the bleeding edge of performance.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the review being unbiased either. He said the first several hours were bliss. You would think that after several hours it wouldn't be bliss, if it was lagging and locking up. It took several hours to notice that?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Of course I'll have to hold it in my hands first, but the more i think about it, the size might be a dealbreaker for me. Since followong th GN threads, i've been paying closer attention to how i use my DInc. I catch myself using it one-handed quite frequently. Although i watch a lot of you tube videos on my phone and would like as much screen space for that as possible, i don't think it will be worth trading out the ease of one-handed use. While the GN would be the "dreamy" choice for me, something a little slimmer might be smarter choice for day-to-day practicality. For me, that is.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a fairly straightforward review of the UK Galaxy Nexus. The size of the screen is a personal preference; everyone will react differently.

The camera fast shutter vs blurriness thing (you have to be very steady) has been echoed in a few other hands-on's and reviews.

He mentions a lagginess/stutterness, although many others reported silky smooth performance (including the Verge he mentioned). Perhaps it varies from phone-to-phone, or he just got a shaky phone (remember the first UK customer that got a dev phone or something? heh).

All the other 'cons' that have been mentioned in reviews aren't a big concern for me. Also, the Verizon version may be a bit different from the UK one (battery, GB, etc). I really want the Nexus, but the dealbreaker for me is the 16GB vs 32GB. If Verizon releases as 16 GB for $299, I'm not sure I'd be down for that.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the review being unbiased either. He said the first several hours were bliss. You would think that after several hours it wouldn't be bliss, if it was lagging and locking up. It took several hours to notice that?

It's quite possible it could take several hours, not to notice but for it to start happening. When a phone is fresh out the box it has very little RAM taken up, internet cache, etc.. So after a few hours of using the phones, the memory is now being filled causing the phone to lag in some areas. Just like a computer that needs everything to be cleaned every once in a while for it run like it did when it was first powered on. Some of you guys are ridiculous sometimes. I know in my experience EVERY phone I have had including 3 iphones and 5 high end Androids the performance is nothing like it was fresh out the box.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The size of the phone may be the deal breaker for me. Of course I'll have to see it. I've owned my share of 4.3 inch devices (EVO, Thunderbolt and Sensation) and I've seen in the reviews that the size is quite comparable to the 4.3 inch devices. I sure hope that is the case. But if it's big enough where I can notice the difference, I may have to forget it. And I've been dying for a nexus on verizon.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Of course I'll have to hold it in my hands first, but the more i think about it, the size might be a dealbreaker for me. Since followong th GN threads, i've been paying closer attention to how i use my DInc. I catch myself using it one-handed quite frequently. Although i watch a lot of you tube videos on my phone and would like as much screen space for that as possible, i don't think it will be worth trading out the ease of one-handed use. While the GN would be the "dreamy" choice for me, something a little slimmer might be smarter choice for day-to-day practicality. For me, that is.

I use my Incredible one handed almost all the time unless I'm typing something. I have really big hands though so I think I'll do fine with the GNex. From what I'm hearing it's about the size of most 4.3" phones and I know people with thunderbolts who's hands are much smaller than mine.

kyle1745

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok review I guess but anyone leaving for itunes needs their head rewired. I would never get a iPhone because of itunes. I'm perfectly capable of managing my files thank you.

Also I'm sure ICS has some bugs to work out.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't too happy with the one poster on that link shunning this other guys impressions on the S2. The screen size does make a difference and there is some (if little) relevance to talking about the S2 for the galaxy nexus.

I'm a apple supporter but that's just a naive person right there.

The link didn't change my opinion about the phone. I want one. ICS!!! FTW!!!

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read the review and at this point I am done reading reviews without actual pro and con video evidence... I am just done with that. I will make my own judgement when I get my new GN phone.

Can't use the phone with one hand? Well I have the small Og droid and I like to use two hands on it so I don't think this will matter to me at all.

With the Og droid I turn it off then charge it over night and will still do the same with the GN, so I should have a fresh reboot every day....I am thinking....no problem.

Last edited:

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Was a bit puzzled that his MAIN objection was the need to use 2 hands from time to time. What is he doing? Texting while driving? I understand that the size might be a problem for some people with smaller hands, but it seems like using two hands for a 3.5"+ touchscreen is part and parcel of the experience.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's quite possible it could take several hours, not to notice but for it to start happening. When a phone is fresh out the box it has very little RAM taken up, internet cache, etc.. So after a few hours of using the phones, the memory is now being filled causing the phone to lag in some areas. Just like a computer that needs everything to be cleaned every once in a while for it run like it did when it was first powered on. Some of you guys are ridiculous sometimes. I know in my experience EVERY phone I have had including 3 iphones and 5 high end Androids the performance is nothing like it was fresh out the box.

I know a phone won't work as well like it did straight out the box after some time. However, I've never experienced it happening that fast, nor have any of my phones lagg to the point were I wanted to take them back after a several hours.

I know I don't do as much with my phone as lot of you so, my experience is probably different.