If RAZR gets ICS, will it beat NEXUS?

gecko

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have read literally hundres of reviews, as well as interviews with google developers as to theri reasoning behind every controvercial decision (ie no expansion slot, no usb storage etc....)
and it seems to me that on a hardware side the RAZR is pulling ahead in many areas and the big draw seems to be ICS.

So if I wait until the RAZR gets ICS and we begin talking apples to apples, other than the miner Motorola bloatware (Which google states can be removed with ICS) why would I want a nexus?

other than being first in line to get software updates...

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Razr and Rezound both have features that are independently missing versus the Nexus:

Nexus = Super AMOLED HD Screen
Razr = AMOLED, but not HD
Rezound = HD, but not AMOLED

Because of this I can't get either the Razr or Rezound. With the Nexus so close to release, I know I'll be kicking myself afterwards if I do.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, but the way Verizon is stalling this thing, I think we'll find out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of phones having ICS before the Nexus is on sale at Verizon.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I still would pick the Nexus over the Razr if the both had ICS or even just the Razr. IMO the specs are much better on the Nexus and second would be the Rezound.

Reactions: mightyfacundo

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Another big pro for the Nexus side is that it will continue to get ICS updates much faster than any other devices, including whatever comes after ICS.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, but the way Verizon is stalling this thing, I think we'll find out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of phones having ICS before the Nexus is on sale at Verizon.

Not if it takes Motorola six weeks to just get their list out of the phones that will receive the upgrade.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That is true just look at the only phone running ICS now, it's not a HTC or Moto.

I think odds are good that Motorola, no matter their claims to the contrary will be one of the last companies to start putting ICS on their phones. That is unless things change drastically over there now that the Google take over has been approved by their board of directors.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I want to get the Nexus but the fact that it does not have removable storage is a big negative to me. I like to keep all my documents, pictures, notes private and selling the phone just makes it easier. Just pull the SD card, do a factory wipe and you're good to go. Even after a factory wipe on a cell phone, personal files that were left on the phone that you think were deleted can still be recovered if someone wants too. If you remove the SD card with those items on it, no way to retrieve those files since you have the memory card. Also, very easy to upgrade memory as well when the time comes.

Just something to think about.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Not if it takes Motorola six weeks to just get their list out of the phones that will receive the upgrade.

I was just kidding. But it's sad that the GN was supposed to show ICS to us all, and it will likely be on other devices before we can buy it. I'm pretty sure I read that the Nexus S has already. Of coarse, that's just more power to the Nexus name.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was just kidding. But it's sad that the GN was supposed to show ICS to us all, and it will likely be on other devices before we can buy it. I'm pretty sure I read that the Nexus S has already. Of coarse, that's just more power to the Nexus name.

So you think that the other phone manufacturers will be able to do OTA's of ICS to their devices before the end of the year?

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I want the Nexus because it's basically guaranteed to have a strong dev following. That means it will have the first and best ROMs available. It's gonna be one of the first to get CM9, and that's enough of a reason for me to get it. Razr has locked bootloader and will probably have a weak dev following, so it's not for me. Plus the huge bezel and Motorola logo at the top look horrible to me, and I would take a removable battery over SD card slot.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I want the Nexus because it's basically guaranteed to have a strong dev following. That means it will have the first and best ROMs available. It's gonna be one of the first to get CM9, and that's enough of a reason for me to get it. Razr has locked bootloader and will probably have a weak dev following, so it's not for me. Plus the huge bezel and Motorola logo at the top look horrible to me, and I would take a removable battery over SD card slot.

When you think about it, there isn't really much need for additional development on a phone like the RAZR. First and foremost, it was released with an outdated OS. Second, Motorola knows they will be releasing their next latest and greatest phone in the next several months.

We know, similar to the iphone, that the Galaxy Nexus will be the only Nexus released by Google and its partners for at least a year.

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to be dependent on a third-party manufacturer and/or carrier for OS updates. I'm new to Android (not even in it, yet), and I was blown away to learn how cavalierly the manufacturers and carriers treat updates. Not to mention all the bloatware garbage--that brought me back to the bad old days of flip phones. I don't even care if the GNex is a smidgeon behind (or at least no better) on hardware specs. Just not having to deal with that is enough for me.