Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Horrible thought: Verizon Bloatware

Just a thought that may explain the delay of the Galaxy Nexus to the Verizon line up.

Maybe VZN is busy adapting / installing their bloatware Wouldn't that be a b!tch! It would make me consider other phones or wait for other carriers to offer the Nexus...

F

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Default Re: Horrible thought: Verizon Bloatware

If there's any non-uninstallable stuff other than My Verizon and Backup Assistant, I'm returning it.

Yes but any other phone on any carrier will have more bloat.

Nexus will have the least of all.

Sent from my SCH-I510
    Premium1 likes this.

ROM

I'll just remove the bloat, if that's the case. Apparently, it's not a big deal.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...us-gets-opened

http://www.androidcentral.com/root (FYI, for older phones)
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but you do realize that with root access, anything and I do mean anything is "uninstallable". You can uninstall the dialer if you so chose(which is a really good option on an old phone you're turning into a media consumption device). Anything Verizon decides to drop on here can be un-done. If you'd like to go so far as to say you don't want to root your device, then I say, Why buy a Nexus?
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

What have u been living under rock? This subject as all ready beaten to death. There is backup assistant and my data. Nothing castrophe do go back to coffee
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Yes but any other phone on any carrier will have more bloat.

Nexus will have the least of all.
    We'll have to wait and see. Maybe other carriers will be smarter and NOT add the extra baggage.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but you do realize that with root access, anything and I do mean anything is "uninstallable". You can uninstall the dialer if you so chose(which is a really good option on an old phone you're turning into a media consumption device). Anything Verizon decides to drop on here can be un-done. If you'd like to go so far as to say you don't want to root your device, then I say, Why buy a Nexus?
    A couple of questions:
    1. Is it possible the bloatware will be so intertwined that it's not possible to uninstall it?
    2. Can ANY application be completely cleaned off of Android? My background is from Windoze and there it's nearly impossible to get rid of an application. Between the DLLs and registry...

Global Posts
    1,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I know a lot of you enjoy rooting your phones - and that's cool - but, that's not what's always on everyone's mind when getting a Nexus phone. I've have a lot of reasons I like the phone exactly the way it is and, have never rooted any of my Nexus phones.

Having said that, I may root the phone this time.

ROM
    Stock

I don't really care about the bloat, but rather what it means to OTA updates. Will OTA updates come directly from Google (like it should for a Nexus phone)? Or will OTA updates come from big red (requiring literally months each release to test crappy bloatware)? I fear the addition of bloatware will mean that OTA updates come from big red, which will negate one of the BIGGEST advantages for getting a Nexus imo.

-me
    Last edited by mysterx; 11-22-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by garberfc View Post
    A couple of questions:
    1. Is it possible the bloatware will be so intertwined that it's not possible to uninstall it?
    2. Can ANY application be completely cleaned off of Android? My background is from Windoze and there it's nearly impossible to get rid of an application. Between the DLLs and registry...
    Each app is self contained in a package file(APK) Any, and I do mean ANY app can be removed once you have superuser(root) privileges to the OS. There is no bloat that can't be undone and the Nexus class phone was meant as a developer device meaning that it would run the latest and greatest stock Android. Developers would also have the tools to gain superuser access to the phone without the use of a rootkit unlike the more locked down phones on the market.

The above is also my answer to qnet. Try to keep in mind that the Nexus phones were meant to allow it's users root level control and that on this series of phones, it's not an exploit....it's a feature.

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

There is something else I just thought of. On my Motorola Xoom, I only have one Verizon app running (MyVerizon) and, it's the only one that crashes. It works fine when I use it but, it occasional force closes, when I'm not using it.

If it wasn't so useful, I would have uninstalled it already but, it's just an occasional annoyance. I wonder if this is the issue since stock Honeycomb - which is on my Xoom - and ICS are similar.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    There is something else I just thought of. On my Motorola Xoom, I only have one Verizon app running (MyVerizon) and, it's the only one that crashes. It works fine when I use it but, it occasional force closes, when I'm not using it.

If it wasn't so useful, I would have uninstalled it already but, it's just an occasional annoyance. I wonder if this is the issue since stock Honeycomb - which is on my Xoom - and ICS are similar.
    The My Verizon app crashes on everything I've ever tried to use it on. OG Droid, Fascinate, and Droid X.

-Walt Disney

The My Verizon app crashes on everything I've ever tried to use it on. OG Droid, Fascinate, and Droid X.
    Likewise

Global Posts
    1,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

It's only crashed on my Xoom but, that's the only Android device I've had on Verizon - besides my short stint with the Bionic - which didn't crash. Speaking of the Xoom, I think it may be time to root it.

I only recently tried the app on my original Droid, and found it crashes a lot. I was wondering if it was just me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    What have u been living under rock? This subject as all ready beaten to death. There is backup assistant and my data. Nothing castrophe do go back to coffee
    I wouldn't jump all over the OP for posting this. There's only one other thread that has bloatware in the title, and you would have to go back several pages in order to find it.
    It may be mentioned in other threads, but how would the OP know?
    Not unless their on here every day, all day... which most people do not.
    There's only a few I've noticed that live and breath on the forums.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 and 4.2

Ugh, it perturbs me that anything has made it onto a Nexus device, even though I will admit that I would've installed My Verizon anyway, but I just hope this doesn't affect Google being able to directly update the Verizon version of the phone. That is going to be a huge dealbreaker considering it's one of the main reasons I've been wanting this phone.

Also, just to randomly comment on the My Verizon app: It doesn't do any crashing on my original Droid running stock 2.2.2. Always works perfectly as it should.
    Last edited by Salacon; 11-22-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Last paragraph added.
    "My work is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last forever." - Thucydides, ancient Greek historian

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

I know a lot of you enjoy rooting your phones - and that's cool - but, that's not what's always on everyone's mind when getting a Nexus phone. I've have a lot of reasons I like the phone exactly the way it is and, have never rooted any of my Nexus phones.

Having said that, I may root the phone this time.
    Wait just a minute, you are interested in a developer phone but not rooting? If you don't root it ill come find you and root it for you without you knowing :P

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Sprint handled it well with the Nexus S 4G. No Sprint apps, but you had the option to install any you wanted.

I am jumping ship to Verizon, and plan to get the Galaxy Nexus. I am not worried since I doubt Verizon would release a crashing phone.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Wait just a minute, you are interested in a developer phone but not rooting? If you don't root it ill come find you and root it for you without you knowing :P

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I will also not be rooting my nexus. I'm getting it for the stock Android; I miss my G1 days.

Everyone knows that it is possible to like the idea of the nexus phone without actively involving in the root process, right?
    garberfc likes this.

But thats not bloat, if it was preinstalled, uninstallable and crashes that's upsetting. Only thing Verizon on my xoom is the logo on the upper right bezel...

I'm not a huge fan of rooting anymore with vanilla honeycomb and I'll probably feel the same for ICS. Only time I root is to get rid of the bloat, and with minimal bloat I don't have a need. Running a custom rom to overclock for smoother PlayStation emulator play was fun but got old quick....back to stock....

I am a Nexus S 4G owner and I have never felt the need to root. I don't plan to root my Galaxy Nexus either. I used to spend lots of time and energy on my last phone, tweaking and messing with it. I don't miss it.
    mithmax likes this.

ROM
    Petes frg83d

I have no intent to root my Galaxy Nexus.. I want to have the Google support for timely updates.. This is a major selling point for me. I have rooted my og droid, and have installed many different things from Cyanogen to petes to the elite project. All of these initially made the device run wondefully, until they setteled in after a week or two and became what i consider unstable.. I went back to rooted stock everytime with my 1 gig sv kernel. Again all of that was done to make the device more enjoyable and smoother. I want to not think about making this device better, i just want it to be better on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by garberfc View Post
    A couple of questions:
    The problem is, 99% of the time the person getting rid of the application just clicks the "Uninstall" routine, and the developer who wrote the application did a ****-poor job of writing the uninstaller, so it leaves a bunch of garbage behind. Or the application is from a dubious source (many "free" apps you get online) that doesn't want to be uninstalled.

It's easy to completely get rid of an application on Windows, so long as you know what you're doing. Just like it's easy to root and a phone and uninstall all of the bloatware, so long as you know what you're doing. Notice the trend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast