Even if you did not buy it from verizon?
    11-22-2011 06:45 PM
    No to activate it on verizon you need a data plan.
    11-22-2011 06:50 PM
    There's got to be a way
    11-22-2011 06:52 PM
    There's got to be a way
    yeah use it only on wifi and don't have verizon service. That's the only way but then what is the point of a 4g phone if you can't make calls or anything and always have to rely on wifi?
    11-22-2011 06:55 PM
    I'll just tell Verizon if not i'll go T-MO GSM
    11-22-2011 06:57 PM
    I'll just tell Verizon if not i'll go T-MO GSM
    hahah good luck with that. You think verizon cares if they lose one customer? You need data with tmo phone's to so idk what you are complaining about.
    11-22-2011 06:59 PM
    u don't need data with t-mo, ah I say that to verizion 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years
    11-22-2011 07:03 PM
    Pretty sure you do since it says right on the tmo site data plan required. Why get the phone if you don't want data? I mean if you can't afford the data plan why have a smart phone?
    11-22-2011 07:05 PM
    Yeah what is your goal here? To get the device and use it on a voice only plan with wifi?
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-22-2011 07:07 PM
    If you import a European Galaxy Nexus and put a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card in it, they will think it's a non-smart phone because it won't be in their system. So you could use a voice-only plan with the Galaxy Nexus this way. That is if they do in fact not allow smart phones without data plans, which I've never looked into myself.
    11-22-2011 07:09 PM
    Never mind. Derp.
    11-22-2011 07:10 PM
    Yeah what is your goal here? To get the device and use it on a voice only plan with wifi?
    YES!
    11-22-2011 07:14 PM
    If you import a European Galaxy Nexus and put a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card in it, they will think it's a non-smart phone because it won't be in their system. So you could use a voice-only plan with the Galaxy Nexus this way. That is if they do in fact not allow smart phones without data plans, which I've never looked into myself.
    Yes, exactly, just t-mo sim and your could to go with no data
    11-22-2011 07:16 PM
    Technically, they know what phone you're using (thats how they knew they had 1,000,000+ iphone users). If you didn't buy the phone subsidized through them, I don't think they care. My friend Brian had an iPhone 3GS and while he was on the phone with T-Mo for something, they asked him what he thought of his iPhone. He purchased it unlocked off of Craigslist.
    11-22-2011 07:22 PM
    i dont see why you couldn't get an unlocked version, Start a dumbphobe contract then switch devices.. I thought data plans were only mandatory add-ons when you renew a contract while getting a subsidized phone price
    11-22-2011 07:23 PM
    Technically, they know what phone you're using (thats how they knew they had 1,000,000+ iphone users). If you didn't buy the phone subsidized through them, I don't think they care. My friend Brian had an iPhone 3GS and while he was on the phone with T-Mo for something, they asked him what he thought of his iPhone. He purchased it unlocked off of Craigslist.
    It was my understanding that overseas phones would not show up in the carriers' systems. This was secondhand information though, so it could be wrong. But I agree that they probably don't care if you bring your own phone.
    11-22-2011 07:27 PM
    It was my understanding that overseas phones would not show up in the carriers' systems. This was secondhand information though, so it could be wrong. But I agree that they probably don't care if you bring your own phone.
    Maybe... my guess was the iPhone was an ATT model that got yellow-snowed. I don't think it was an overseas phone.
    11-22-2011 07:31 PM
    YES!

Get an iPod touch and get pro version of Skype for calls.
    kharrigan likes this.
    11-22-2011 07:40 PM
    Get an iPod touch and get pro version of Skype for calls.
    I do that to
    11-22-2011 07:46 PM
    To be honest this is a dumb mandatory plan. If you don't want a data plan, thats fine we shouldn't sign up for one. We get what we pay for and if we don't get a data plan then that means we no data (only through wifi only). Which also means I'm not bottling up their network like they say customers are doing? which also means less backhaul on their side.
    11-22-2011 07:57 PM
    Answer: No

Sadly, I'm trying to do this for the past few years for my parents. They don't need data but they would like a big phone that has a 4" screen and takes good pictures.
    11-22-2011 10:02 PM
    The iPod touch or Galaxy Players are the way to go for what you're asking... but I don't recommend doing what you're intending to do. Just becaus eyou can doesn't mean that you should.
    11-22-2011 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD