Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ManBearPig618
  • 1 Post By tony bag o donuts
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any way to avoid data plan?

Even if you did not buy it from verizon?

Default Re: Any way to avoid data plan?

No to activate it on verizon you need a data plan.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There's got to be a way

Quote Originally Posted by Bong Bubble View Post
    There's got to be a way
    yeah use it only on wifi and don't have verizon service. That's the only way but then what is the point of a 4g phone if you can't make calls or anything and always have to rely on wifi?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'll just tell Verizon if not i'll go T-MO GSM

I'll just tell Verizon if not i'll go T-MO GSM
    hahah good luck with that. You think verizon cares if they lose one customer? You need data with tmo phone's to so idk what you are complaining about.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

u don't need data with t-mo, ah I say that to verizion 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years

Pretty sure you do since it says right on the tmo site data plan required. Why get the phone if you don't want data? I mean if you can't afford the data plan why have a smart phone?

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Yeah what is your goal here? To get the device and use it on a voice only plan with wifi?
    Premium1 likes this.

If you import a European Galaxy Nexus and put a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card in it, they will think it's a non-smart phone because it won't be in their system. So you could use a voice-only plan with the Galaxy Nexus this way. That is if they do in fact not allow smart phones without data plans, which I've never looked into myself.

ROM
    Full AOSP 4.2

Never mind. Derp.
    Last edited by mechapathy; 11-22-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: derp
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig618 View Post
    Yeah what is your goal here? To get the device and use it on a voice only plan with wifi?
    YES!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    If you import a European Galaxy Nexus and put a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card in it, they will think it's a non-smart phone because it won't be in their system. So you could use a voice-only plan with the Galaxy Nexus this way. That is if they do in fact not allow smart phones without data plans, which I've never looked into myself.
    Yes, exactly, just t-mo sim and your could to go with no data

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Technically, they know what phone you're using (thats how they knew they had 1,000,000+ iphone users). If you didn't buy the phone subsidized through them, I don't think they care. My friend Brian had an iPhone 3GS and while he was on the phone with T-Mo for something, they asked him what he thought of his iPhone. He purchased it unlocked off of Craigslist.

i dont see why you couldn't get an unlocked version, Start a dumbphobe contract then switch devices.. I thought data plans were only mandatory add-ons when you renew a contract while getting a subsidized phone price

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Technically, they know what phone you're using (thats how they knew they had 1,000,000+ iphone users). If you didn't buy the phone subsidized through them, I don't think they care. My friend Brian had an iPhone 3GS and while he was on the phone with T-Mo for something, they asked him what he thought of his iPhone. He purchased it unlocked off of Craigslist.
    It was my understanding that overseas phones would not show up in the carriers' systems. This was secondhand information though, so it could be wrong. But I agree that they probably don't care if you bring your own phone.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It was my understanding that overseas phones would not show up in the carriers' systems. This was secondhand information though, so it could be wrong. But I agree that they probably don't care if you bring your own phone.
    Maybe... my guess was the iPhone was an ATT model that got yellow-snowed. I don't think it was an overseas phone.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

YES!

Get an iPod touch and get pro version of Skype for calls.
    kharrigan likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    Get an iPod touch and get pro version of Skype for calls.
    I do that to

To be honest this is a dumb mandatory plan. If you don't want a data plan, thats fine we shouldn't sign up for one. We get what we pay for and if we don't get a data plan then that means we no data (only through wifi only). Which also means I'm not bottling up their network like they say customers are doing? which also means less backhaul on their side.

Answer: No

Sadly, I'm trying to do this for the past few years for my parents. They don't need data but they would like a big phone that has a 4" screen and takes good pictures.
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

The iPod touch or Galaxy Players are the way to go for what you're asking... but I don't recommend doing what you're intending to do. Just becaus eyou can doesn't mean that you should.