My theory of why / how VZW is going to do this.

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
***NOTE- THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION. I AM NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE ANY INFORMATION YOU DON'T.***

Ok, well, as we all know, VZW has kept us guessing at the Galaxy Nexus release. A lot of people, including myself, initially thought they were just trying to sell more RAZRs, Rezounds, and iPhones, but now, I have a better idea.

See, Verizon makes roughly similar profit margins on every 300 dollar phone sold. To finally figure out what it is that Verizon is doing, I needed to look at their black friday deals.

And then it hit me. A RED incredible 2, free during Black Friday. What gives? They aren't even selling the incredible 2 anymore- look at their website. This is what I think is going on...

Anybody remember why they introduced the incredible 2? It was VZW's bloat-infested supposed "equal" to the Nexus S.

Verizon wants to move their old inventory. They decided the best way to sell their leftover incredible 2s is to slap a new color scheme on the unsold phones. The free incredible 2 is their effort to liquidate the phone the GNex is REALLY replacing, Verizon's "Nexus S."

That's what they're waiting for. No bloatware, no bugs (other than the volume one that google has developed a fix for,) just trying to unload last years inventory by slapping a red plastic exterior on it and making it free with contract.

Once the incredible runs out, the Nexus, I believe, will be released.

Thoughts?

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You got it wrong, VZ never had the nexus s

You're right, they didn't. Don't you remember google's nexus S page? "For the nexus S on verizon, buy the DROID INCREDIBLE 2."

That was Verizon's bait-and-switch remember???

And that is the real reason the incredible 2 left, and now is back. They had all their leftover Incredibles fitted with a red exterior and they're trying to get rid of them all this Friday by making them free with contract.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You're right, they didn't. Don't you remember google's nexus S page? "For the nexus S on verizon, buy the DROID INCREDIBLE 2."

And that is the real reason the incredible 2 left, and now is back. They had all their leftover Incredibles fitted with a red exterior and they're trying to get rid of them all this Friday by making them free with contract.

WOW I never saw that. I saw it for the original Nexus One but never for the Nexus S, but I was not looking either. The Inc 2 was and is nothing like the Nexus S so that is very odd. The Incredible fit the mold because they were both made by HTC, it does not make sense to me that the Inc 2 and Nexus S have anything in common.

I do agree anything is possible, but have to disagree that the Inc 2 has anything to do with the release of the GNex.

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you read? He said the vzw equivalent, not the nexus s.. actually I think this is part of the whole picture, but not the sole reason.

I agree it is not the sole reason- the volume bug plays a part, but I think the important thing to remember is that Verizon's sole concern is making money. They don't give a damn about end user experience as long as they're paying for it. I'm fairly certain that if they didn't have unsold incredibles left over, they would have released the Nexus Black Friday, bugs or no.

They know that we would buy it even with the volume bug. But they also know that they're aren't nearly as many nexus-obsessed nerds than there are people who they could easily dump an unsold incredible 2 on by making it bright red and free. The incredible 2 is only going to depreciate in value, as is any other phone they try to sell. As the oldest of the lot, it is their top priority to get rid of it.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

No I don't remember...I had my fascinate way back then and had it for a couple weeks when the s came out and it didn't interest me at the time.

Fair enough assessment with the red inc2.

I knew there was gonna be some who would btch about a new "theory" thread like this and at first I though oh no another one. But you know what? It gives us something new to click on and read and I for one don't really mind these types of threads. Unless of course they are like in outer space.

Besides they are gonna be gone sooon. Hopefully

Reactions: Somethingsfishy

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you read? He said the vzw equivalent, not the nexus s.. actually I think this is part of the whole picture, but not the sole reason.

Yup I can read. Didn't see any suggestion/inference to equivalent there.

I was reacting to this quote : "The free incredible 2 is their effort to liquidate the phone the GNex is REALLY replacing, Verizon's "Nexus S."

Sorry don't see or interpret "equivalent" there.

Edit: After really looking at that statement... I guess I overlooked the quotation marks around the Nexus s . My bad. I apologize. <hides head in shame>

Last edited:
Reactions: tntdroid

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree it is not the sole reason- the volume bug plays a part, but I think the important thing to remember is that Verizon's sole concern is making money. They don't give a damn about end user experience as long as they're paying for it. I'm fairly certain that if they didn't have unsold incredibles left over, they would have released the Nexus Black Friday, bugs or no.

They know that we would buy it even with the volume bug. But they also know that they're aren't nearly as many nexus-obsessed nerds than there are people who they could easily dump an unsold incredible 2 on by making it bright red and free. The incredible 2 is only going to depreciate in value, as is any other phone they try to sell. As the oldest of the lot, it is their top priority to get rid of it.

So let me get this right.... You think VZW had a bunch of unsold black DINC 2's boxed up in a warehouse somewhere and decided that the only way to sell them would be to send them back and make them red?

Really? I've heard it all now.

I now feel like that Phonemart salesman in that iPhone 4 vs. Evo YouTube video. I think I need to go hug my cat now.......

Reactions: MMcCraryNJ

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this right.... You think VZW had a bunch of unsold black DINC 2's boxed up in a warehouse somewhere and decided that the only way to sell them would be to send them back and make them red?

Really? I've heard it all now.

Not only that. Verizon is also deliberately holding back the Nexus until they get rid of these DINC2s that they are going to recase or remanufacture or whatever.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing this out there... Would the volume bug even have an effect on the LTE version? If it is radio-related like they're saying, I would think it wouldn't do the same thing to a phone with completely different radio hardware.

I don't know anything on the subject, though :)

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If you guys following p3droid on tweet. He just tweet that he might have a good date for the nexus.

Lol I'd rather trust slashgear, and that's saying a lot.

And yes, I am dead serious. Even though it'd be an expensive endeavor on their part, I am sure it would be MUCH more expensive for Verizon not to sell a large number of incredible 2s (which are off the market already) Verizon has to move their merchandise.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
***NOTE- THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION. I AM NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE ANY INFORMATION YOU DON'T.***

Ok, well, as we all know, VZW has kept us guessing at the Galaxy Nexus release. A lot of people, including myself, initially thought they were just trying to sell more RAZRs, Rezounds, and iPhones, but now, I have a better idea.

See, Verizon makes roughly similar profit margins on every 300 dollar phone sold. To finally figure out what it is that Verizon is doing, I needed to look at their black friday deals.

And then it hit me. A RED incredible 2, free during Black Friday. What gives? They aren't even selling the incredible 2 anymore- look at their website. This is what I think is going on...

Anybody remember why they introduced the incredible 2? It was VZW's bloat-infested supposed "equal" to the Nexus S.

Verizon wants to move their old inventory. They decided the best way to sell their leftover incredible 2s is to slap a new color scheme on the unsold phones. The free incredible 2 is their effort to liquidate the phone the GNex is REALLY replacing, Verizon's "Nexus S."

That's what they're waiting for. No bloatware, no bugs (other than the volume one that google has developed a fix for,) just trying to unload last years inventory by slapping a red plastic exterior on it and making it free with contract.

Once the incredible runs out, the Nexus, I believe, will be released.

Thoughts?

The inc 2 wasn't the nexus s counter part. Maybe if you said the original inc was the counterpart to the nexus 1 that would be true since google said that but saying the inc 2 was meant to be the bloat infested version for verizon makes no sense at least the inc and nexus one were made by htc.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Not only that. Verizon is also deliberately holding back the Nexus until they get rid of these DINC2s that they are going to recase or remanufacture or whatever.

haha and spend even more money to have them recased. I think I have heard about every possible theory and then someone comes up with something even more ridiculous.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Just throwing this out there... Would the volume bug even have an effect on the LTE version? If it is radio-related like they're saying, I would think it wouldn't do the same thing to a phone with completely different radio hardware.

I don't know anything on the subject, though :)

The way I understand it, it only affects phones when they run on a 900Mhz band. If the phone switches to 2G (edge or G as indicated on phone) another device on that band can screw up the volume. I also believe it just happens randomly, even if it doesn't come in contact with another device, when it switches to 2G.

I think since VZW uses CDMA with a different band, it won't effect it. LTE is 700Mhz (I think) so, it wouldn't effect it either.

Reactions: Kevin Gossett

ggpike

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
haha and spend even more money to have them recased. I think I have heard about every possible theory and then someone comes up with something even more ridiculous.

Bingo. The cost of shipping them back overseas, have them essentially disassembled, repackaged and then shipped back would be outrageously expensive and make absolutely no sense. It would be cheaper for them to simply manufacture new red Incredible2's than to repurpose old stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsmith786x