Ramblings: Nexus, Nerd Stuff, Self-Revelation, Etc :)

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I had been ogling the Galaxy Nexus for months. It seemed like a dream phone. But, as the weeks have passed, my interest started majorly decreasing (and I was started to be sparked by the Rezound). Then, I had a major revelation the other night. I am not a developer! I don't swap ROMs. Hell, I wouldn't even know how. Why was a so excited for a phone whose selling point seemed to be something I can't utilize?

I love Android. Particularly for its freedom. But, "freedom" to me, means something completely than it does to a lot of you. I left Apple because of the insane restrictions (iTunes is the biggest crock ever). Coming to Android was a dream! Such freedom. But, honestly, I'm completely happy with buying an Android phone and never touching the inside-whachamadoozles. As long as I can get decent battery life and it has things to keep me happy, I am GOLDEN.

When I finally realized this, I realized I didn't need to stress and wait over the Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure a ton of you will have a blast dissecting every inch of that thing and doing ungodly things to the OS and what not. I am thrilled that you all will have a phone that will please you. But, I also found peace in realizing that I am not a hardcore techie.

I bought the Rezound yesterday, and I gotta say: I AM THRILLED! It has everything that lil-old-non-tech-me is looking for in a phone. The screen is gorgeous, the Beats Audio is outstanding, it seems extremely fast coming from my single core Fascinate. And, it's so nice to be able to get all those apps I had wanted, but couldn't because my Fascinate had a bug and was not able to upgrade operating systems (oh yes--oh yes--up until yesterday, I was still on 2.1 <gasp!!>)

I still have no idea if the Rezound has good battery life for a 4G phone. But, anything was better than my botched Fascinate battery that got about 3 hours (moderate use). I just completed my first battery cycle on the Rezound (100% down to phone shutting off). I got about 7-8 hours of quite heavy, consistent use.

Anyway, I really don't know what the point of all this is :) I guess, different phones for different people! As long as we're all happy with our device in the end, t'was a good day after all, right? Best of luck to all you G'Nexians!! Hope you get it soon and hope it is the phone of your dreams.

Later!

-mcskipp

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome, I'm glad you've found what you wanted. I'm kind of in-between, I'm a techie when it comes to computers but, I'm just really getting that way with phones. I probably won't go as far ar some people but, will try some things. I love the Nexus phones and, by watching the vids, I know I will have that phone for quite awhile.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I waited and waited and was absolutely positive i was going to get a nexus. I even convinced myself somehow with this arrogant mentality that every other phone was inferior because it wasn't a "nexus" phone. It only took holding the rezound in my hand one time to realize there are other good phones out there too. That screen...ahhhh that screen had me at first sight. I used to think superamoled was beautiful, then i saw the hd screen on the rezound and side by side with the razor/charge i realized, to me anyway, superamoled looks ridiculously cartoony and over saturated.

I wrote a looooong post over in the rezound forums about how shocked i was at how good this phone is and how it might actually break my addiction to getting a new phone every few months. Love the hell out of it. And i'm happy for you too

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Good luck with your new phone, I thought about getting the rezound or razr but I am just tired of waiting for updates and that has held be back from even trying one of those phones! Oh and the battery life that HTC phones usually have and the non removable battery on the razr. They both look like great phones though but just not for me.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I think, whether they admit it or not, that a lot of people have been a little disappointed in various developments of the GN. The biggest attraction for me is its a pure google phone (hopefully)..newest OS etc. I'm going to reserve either bashing the phone or gushing over it until I have it in my hand.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the Rezound is a superb device- all that it needs is a good root, wipe of sense, and a set of GOOD headphones (beats is total hype). But the screen on the Rezound is magnificent. Enjoy your purchase!

Reactions: Johnnyrb

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: headphones

The only experience I have with earbud headphones are those horrid Apple ones. Which I still used up until last night. Not only do the Apple ones physically hurt sitting in my ears (they don't even fit comfortably), but the sound quality is mehh. Going from those to the Beats Audio buds, I was in shock! So comfortable and the music is much more detailed. I've been producing music for over ten years and I think the Beats buds are pretty good. I actually may use them when I'm working on my laptop. Again though, my earbud experience is extremely limited!

Why do you consider them over hyped? Just curious. I've heard virtually nothing about them. And I honestly expected them to be pretty lame.. as is Dre ;)

Reactions: qnet

grayzweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just completed my first battery cycle on the Rezound (100% down to phone shutting off). I got about 7-8 hours of quite heavy, consistent use.
-mcskipp

Good for you! I Like HTC, and I definitely think the GN won't be for everybody.

Just remember that it is not good for those batteries to be depleted fully. No need to cycle them from 100 - 0. just keep them juiced!

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.
...from HowStuffWorks "Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death"

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple headphones suck. I have a pair of ultimate earbuds at work. They were around $30. Very comfortable. Beats audio looks like a great marketing device.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: headphones

The only experience I have with earbud headphones are those horrid Apple ones. Which I still used up until last night. Not only do the Apple ones physically hurt sitting in my ears (they don't even fit comfortably), but the sound quality is mehh. Going from those to the Beats Audio buds, I was in shock! So comfortable and the music is much more detailed. I've been producing music for over ten years and I think the Beats buds are pretty good. I actually may use them when I'm working on my laptop. Again though, my earbud experience is extremely limited!

Why do you consider them over hyped? Just curious. I've heard virtually nothing about them. And I honestly expected them to be pretty lame.. as is Dre ;)

I had to thank you because, I've always wanted to know how the beats earphones sounded.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP in the sense that I am not a techie who has a current interest in rooting and manipulating a phone. And I would likely be thrilled with Rezound. However, that's how I feel today. In the future I may end up geeking out a bit and really digging in to what a phone can do. It seems that this GN will have some nice qualities that I may eventually want to take advantage of. And I like the large screen and 1080p video. Also, I like the fact that it's a Google phone and I am hoping that we'll be privy to future features and software that will help the GN to remain relevant for a longer period of time. So even though I have this horrible Droid Eris I continue to wait.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

It's not just the headphones, the phone itself has "beats technology" in it, and that's what's nothing more than marketing.

I'm happy that OP likes his new phone, but being hackable isn't the only draw for the gnex. Actually, I feel this is a consumer device just as much as anything else. HTC phones are really hackable, especially now that they have open bootloaders.
I have a friend who isn't a techie, and the nexus s 4g is what swayed him from blackberry. I doubt I'll put a custom rom on my gnex, even though I change mine on my dinc every few weeks. I just really want a "pure Google" experience. I have anoyher friend who is a geek and she's trying to convince her father to get a gnex vs a rezound, haha. I'm also not stressed about the release because my upgrade isn't until after Christmas anyways.

The point is, enjoy your rezound, more nexuses for the rest of us. Also, don't forget you could always return it ;-)

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
While I did end up picking up the RAZR while waiting for the Nexus, I will be returning it on the day of the GN's release. It's not a bad phone, but I actually find it to be too thin and slippery. Also, I find it extremely difficult to reach the menu button while operating the phone with one hand. I thought I wanted the thinnest phone possible but I guess I like my phones like I like my girls, with a little bit of meat on their bones.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
As others will be doing as well, I most likely will not be using custom roms. I am buying this phone so I will Not have to use a custom rom to get functionality.
I may apply a few patches if google doesn't fix them in good time.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are all happy with your choices. That's what it's about - having choices and being happy with what you choose.

No developer here although I am in IT and can develop for mainframe, servers, pc...etc but right now don't want to do that with my phone.

Still using my OG Droid but it is out of space and getting kinda finicky and I can renew my contract so I am waiting for the Nexus.

Sure there are some rumblings about it not being as fast as some, could have better camera......
what I want is a vanilla phone with no manufactures skin - just like my OG. Guess I will be missing some things the skins bring, but I can always install and uninstall launchers if I want to.

I know the reality - ICS brings a new system, and new ways of doing things and bugs to be fixed; been through that with my Droid so I think things will work out well for me in the end.

All - be happy with your choices. Another phone is around the corner in another few years anyway.

Reactions: jroc

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the responses! So much I'd like to respond to and discuss. I really like this community so far at AC :) I'm not sure of the protocol for quoting and responding to multiple people in a thread, so I'll try and condense it all into one post. Please let me know if you guys and gals do so otherwise.

Grayzweb wrote:

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.

...from HowStuffWorks "Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death"

Oh man, this is really frustrating. I've been searching all over about how to take care of a lithium ion battery properly (because I have no clue, and I always seem to eff them up). Some people on another forum on this site were saying something like you have to train your battery to strengthen it. They were saying you should charge the phone to 100% and let it run down until it dies (repeat for the first week or so). So, I've been obsessing "training my battery" since yesterday afternoon. Thank you immensely for the clarification!

qnet wrote:

I had to thank you because, I've always wanted to know how the beats earphones sounded.

No problem! What impressed me most about the Beats earbuds was the bass. Holy crap! I can't tell you how hard it is when to find just the right volume level for the bass when you are producing/remixing/composing/etc. I don't have a multi-million dollar studio, so my sound test usually comes via my car (2009 Scion xB with phenomenal speakers :)) These Beats phones are going to save me a LOT of time in production.

goldkear wrote:

I just really want a "pure Google" experience.

The point is, enjoy your rezound, more nexuses for the rest of us. Also, don't forget you could always return it ;-)

Haha, man, I'm still trying to envision what a "pure Google " experience is! I honestly have no clue what the screen/OS would look like. I mean, this is understandable since I've only had experiences with Touchwiz, Sense, and the Droid 2 Moto-whatever. To me, it's just feels like a canvas. I can paint the background whatever color or pictures I want, and then I add widgets, apps, and folders. I can't even fathom what else you could do?? I'm genuinely perplexed.

And, believe me, I was trying to decide whether or not to purchase at Best Buy or the VZW store. Had to do a little number-crunching. Best Buy gives 30 days to return (which would be December 25), while VZW is running that holiday special where all phones can be exchanged by January 5 (I think it's the 5th?) If the Verizon Galaxy Nexus debuts to mind-blowing, astronomical reviews, you can bet your ass I'll be doing an exchange, lol.

philly wrote:

dre is lame? wth.

Yeah, Dre was amazing--when I was like 14. He is lucky he's got this Beats By Dre thing going on now. Personally, I think he's boring and washed up. Sorry, just my opinion. Anyway, this is not the place to debate the alleged greatness of a rap artist. For the sake of saving us a big debate in an inappropriate place, can we just sum it up: You like Dre. I could not care less about him. Fair?

-mcskipp

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the responses! So much I'd like to respond to and discuss. I really like this community so far at AC :) I'm not sure of the protocol for quoting and responding to multiple people in a thread, so I'll try and condense it all into one post. Please let me know if you guys and gals do so otherwise.

If you want to quote multiple people, press the Multi Quote button at the bottom of each of their posts, and the regular Quote button for the last quote to start your reply. That will save you some copy and paste time :)

Sent from my Nexus S