Screen Protector & Case?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have used SGP Steinheil screen protectors for years on a very wide range of smartphones. They are a dry install (unlike Zagg Invisible Shield), you do need to be careful so you don't get any dust under it while installing. Very good product.

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used SGP Steinheil screen protectors for years on a very wide range of smartphones. They are a dry install (unlike Zagg Invisible Shield), you do need to be careful so you don't get any dust under it while installing. Very good product.

I have used their screen protectors on three different products with much success. However, my question was regarding their Flex series for the Galaxy Nexus, which comes with a spray bottle.

Dreamshotz

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used Ghost Armor? The stuff sounds impressive may be a great answer but I would like to know what people that have used it think of it.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I suggest going with a case an no screen protector. It's really hard to scratch glass screens. Not impossible but hard. I've gone without a screen protect for years and haven't ever scratched my screen. Plus screen protectors seem to scratch and end up looking ugly.

GSAI

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if you can get that kickstand case online? It was in a picture last month, and I can't see life without a kickstand ever since my TB.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I suggest going with a case an no screen protector. It's really hard to scratch glass screens. Not impossible but hard. I've gone without a screen protect for years and haven't ever scratched my screen. Plus screen protectors seem to scratch and end up looking ugly.

I was just like until last March when I scratched my Thunderbolt then went to a screen protector (Steinheil) and love it. It takes a few months before it gets scratched up then I just replace it with a new one.

anon(417365)

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, Steinheil makes some really good screen protectors. Far better than any others that I've tried, you can't even tell the crystal ones are on. I haven't tried their new oleophobic ones, but I've read they are even better. This is my first post so I can't include the link (as I just learned), but a little googling never hurt anyone :)

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have always had a good case on my phones, and I am leaning towards a case when I get my GN, but I am concerned about the functionality of the NFC chip penetrating through the case. As I recall from the Samsung/Google event that first revealed the GN, the NFC transmission was demonstrated by holding the back of two phones together. A case on the GN may create some interference that limits the ability of the NFC chip. I guess the only way to know for sure is hands on testing. Also NFC functionality is still in its infancy, so at first there will probably be limited opportunities to use this feature.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i believe in cases but not screen protectors. not in the age of Gorilla Glass etc.

EVO 4G Scratch Test Says This Thing Can Take Some Wear, Maybe Even Tear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

keys wont scratch any display thats made of glass be it Gorilla Glass or not.

Yea, Steinheil makes some really good screen protectors. Far better than any others that I've tried, you can't even tell the crystal ones are on. I haven't tried their new oleophobic ones, but I've read they are even better. This is my first post so I can't include the link (as I just learned), but a little googling never hurt anyone :)

Yep, They also have a new one called "Flex" with self healing properties. This seems almost the same like Zagg, I need to email them to see if they exhibit orange Peal as well.

Also if you look at the link I put above, SGP's screen protectors(the Ultra Clear I had on my Dx and the Ultra Oleophobic) are 3H hardness, that's what Keys are. So keys could scratch the screen protector. My Droid X screen protector was scratched up a bit. The only reason I do not have it now is because I got my phone changed once and had to toss it.

With that being said, still debating weather to put a protector on it or not. It will be in a case.

Last edited:

P_Land15

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I have always had a good case on my phones, and I am leaning towards a case when I get my GN, but I am concerned about the functionality of the NFC chip penetrating through the case. As I recall from the Samsung/Google event that first revealed the GN, the NFC transmission was demonstrated by holding the back of two phones together. A case on the GN may create some interference that limits the ability of the NFC chip. I guess the only way to know for sure is hands on testing. Also NFC functionality is still in its infancy, so at first there will probably be limited opportunities to use this feature.

Speaking from experience with my Nexus S4G, I've had a case on it as long as I've had the phone and if I don't remember where my PayPass debit card is in my pocket the NS4G will scan the chip in it and create a new tag lol. I don't think a case will mess with the NFC functionality of the GN much. Could be wrong but I haven't seen any reason to believe that it would occur.

My two cents I will be purchasing a Steinhall and some sort of case not sure what yet. Kickstand would definitely be a plus for video viewing.

anon(417365)

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, They also have a new one called "Flex" with self healing properties. This seems almost the same like Zagg, I need to email them to see if they exhibit orange Peal as well.

Yea I saw the new Flex kind, but it looks too much like InvisibleShield (which I don't care for). Let us know if you find out if this stuff doesn't have the orange peel effect.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as the holster goes, as a girl who wears clothing lots of time without pockets to work, but usually has something you can clip a holster too, it too is a necessary evil sometimes. :( I need to invent a cool holster if that is possible.

Just stick it in your bra. My gf does it with her gargantuan T-Mobile galaxy s2 :)

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am going necked. I have never had a screen protector and have no scratches. I need to use a charging stand and car dock so a phone case is a pain. I always thought it odd to buy a thin phone and then add bulk to it. I know that people want to protect their baby but I haven't lost or damaged a phone yet. (Knocking wood)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I keep my phones bare but need a holster for the belt. I prefer the ones with a clip and belt loops for security. Anybody see any of these for the Gnex, yet?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with a cheap case on launch day and waiting on Seidio to push something out. I liked the Seidio cases i got for my Droid and Droid X, although the Thunderbolt extended battery case was disappointing. Their website says that they have cases for the GN in the pipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781