HTC Sence apps & widgets replacements

Tagged

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey all!

With the Galaxy Nexus coming out in (guess # of days here), and coming from the Droid Incredible (& skyraider 4.x rom) I want to see what might be missed from Sence.

List the Sence apps or widgets that you will miss, and if you have found a suitable replacement.

Example:
HTC Clock / Weather widget : Go Weather (free)
HTC Friendstream - Android Pro Widgets (free); LauncherPro Sense skin ($1.10) (LauncherPro required)
HTC People (would love to link FB & Google contacts) - [suggest something!]

Please list any other HTC Sence apps or widgets that you know and can recommend a suitable replacement app. Please put if it is free or the price, and bonus if you would link to appbrain or android.market.

Thanks all!

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
HTC People (would love to link FB & Google contacts) - [suggest something!]

Doesn't ICS basically do this? i.e. Link all of a contacts social media pages together? Or am I not understanding what you mean?

Anyway, Beautiful Widgets and Fancy Widgets can bot provide good, Sense-like clock and weather widgets.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My vote goes to beautiful widgets. As great as goweather is, it doesn't have nearly as many cool clock/weather skins as beautiful, along with the kickass widgets that come with it.

Little known cool widget i use all the time with beautiful widget: timed silence. Whenever i go into a movie theater, i click it, then click "2 hours" and my phone is in silent mode for the duration of the movie. Love the hell out of it

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't ICS basically do this? i.e. Link all of a contacts social media pages together? Or am I not understanding what you mean?

Anyway, Beautiful Widgets and Fancy Widgets can bot provide good, Sense-like clock and weather widgets.

I've read things about how ICS doesn't do FB contact sync anymore because Google has stopped providing FB with the necessary API. At this point, I've lost track of what the truth is.

Shimmy

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Longtime fan of Beautiful Widgets. I even convinced my girlfriend to ditch her sense widgets on her Dinc in favor of BW.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Eww HTC Sense and none of them work as well as the HTC clock widget

I find it funny anyone would literally say "eww" about software lol The htc clock widget is great, but IMO it's hard to beat the superclock on beautiful widgets. You gotta try it to know what i mean. If you want to come over, i'll let you play with my phone and try it. I've got buffalo wings and a big tv too...just sayin

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
the only widget I'll really miss is the people one, fitting several favorites in a small area is nice.
the weather widget is pretty, but I could take it or leave it
I also like the look of the calander vs default android, but i'll have to see what the ICS one looks like.
Most of HTC's widgets are too big though, taking most or all the screen. For example, the messaging one is cool (if not really practical) but who has that much space to use?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
What part of it doesn't sync again? My Charge (with GB) syncs Facebook contacts fine... are we just talking pictures here, or what?

I think the real question is which one of these FriendStream clones actually works, LauncherPro eventually stops auto refreshing, Go Launcher only has separate widgets (twitter, facebook individually)... I may give these a try later and see if any of them can last without me restarting something.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
What part of it doesn't sync again? My Charge (with GB) syncs Facebook contacts fine... are we just talking pictures here, or what?

I think the real question is which one of these FriendStream clones actually works, LauncherPro eventually stops auto refreshing, Go Launcher only has separate widgets (twitter, facebook individually)... I may give these a try later and see if any of them can last without me restarting something.

sense, touchwiz, and (i assume) blur all have different contacts/people apps than default android and facebook can sync to those, it's kinda weird. basically google and facebook are fighting.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly the only widget I will really miss is the HTC To-Do List one...so much simpler and easier to use than any of the other ones I have tried out knowing that one will be going away when good ol Big Red releases the Nexus.