It has an accelerometer?

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds complicated? I have no idea what I could use it for... ;)

"An accelerometer is a device that measures proper acceleration, also called the four-acceleration. This is not necessarily the same as the coordinate acceleration (change of velocity of the device in three-dimensional space), but is rather the type of acceleration associated with the phenomenon of weight experienced by a test mass that resides in the frame of reference of the accelerometer device."

What fun apps are out/will be out there, that will work with the Galaxy Nexus?

Or, in this case is an accelerometer something to do with an internal fuction in the phone? Confused...

I'm out of date..

I'm still rockin a Storm 1 and patiently waiting...

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: It has an accelerometer?!?

your storm has one too. it's basically what allows it to know what orientation its in, also any "shake to __________" apps use it.

basically any touchscreen phone (not even just smartphones) in the last 4 or 5 years have had one.

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Oh man I'm so out of date tech wise..... I thought an accelerometer would be something cool... Oh Well :(

Thanks...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

(almost) all smartphones have accelerometers these days. That being said not all manufacturer skins and apps actually support them.

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep that's just one more use for them. It also has a gyro which is more interesting and less common, that's what makes the wii controllers and ps3 six axis work so well compared to simple phone tilting

Dustindejohn

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
But what about the Geiger counter? What fun apps will use those!?!?
Haven't heard the the GN has a Geiger counter??? well I'm sure a store rep told me or i read it somewhere... [Sarcasm]
But seriously when will phones finally stop needing screens and just beam lasers into our eyes!
:p

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of cool features that arent always supported. Will the GN make use of the In Pocket Detection feature or will ICS even have it?

I've only heard of sense having that, and even then it doesn't always work. Also the bit to turn on the speaker when the phone is flipped over

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
<WRONG>
It's also used to detect when you move your phone to your face or take it away from your face while on a call. It's tells the phone when to lock and unlock the screen so you don't press numbers while talking or have the ability to use the key pad while on a call.
</WRONG>
EDIT: As Mr. Poppalopolis points out below I am wrong!!!

(Don't be a fool like me and think before you post stupid stuff!) :)

Last edited:

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
All I know is my Atrix has the option to turn it on but it doesn't work (Atrix is a motoblur phone too), although the whole going black when you raise it to your face thing works perfectly every time.

I always figured that feature was an accelerometer thing, whereas the pocket detection thing would have to sense light somehow wouldn't it?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Nah what is interesting is the Barometer, what in the heck is that for other then telling the weather.

They are usually too sensitive to elevation in a mobile device to be used to actually measure weather. Good for elevation though which helps to get a faster fix on GPS and makes them much more accurate overall.

The Xoom has a barometer while I don't know if the native Google GPS apps use them I've never seen a GPS so accurate. With satellite view overlay it will put me in a accurate area the size of a parking spot 100% of the times I've tested it. And GPS lock is near instant.

bafrench

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but would the accelerometer be used for the panoramic pictures? Or does it not even use any sort of motion detection?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX