How many ways to get GN while still in contract?

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying to use my upgrade to buy the Rezound a few days ago was a complete fiasco.

What I've discovered is that vzw can basically do whatever they want, even though some employees insist they can't budge because of the computers. It's BS .

I've also learned that talking to vzw reps is like playing Russian Roulette. They all have different answers.

I got my Rezound roughly a month and a half before my upgrade. This all started about 6 months back. A sales rep told me that our account had an upgrade. I wasn't sure how, we have 4 lines, and its hard to keep track. I thought we were out of upgrades, so I got excited and asked him to double check. Yep, we had an upgrade!

So I've been sitting on it this whole time, waiting for a bangin' new phone to come out. My parents were gonna buy me the Galaxy Nexus or something great for Xmas. You see, I've been extremely ill lately. I have nerve damage and they're currently testing me for various cancers. It sucks. My parents were SO EXCITED to buy me this phone for Xmas because they knew how excited I was, and how I've been dealing with so much chronic pain. Sob story, I know, but when you're sick and you feel like your world is crumbling in on you, stupid little things like getting a new phone is just enough to keep your spirits up. I realize it sounds ridiculous, but it's honestly true.

So we roll up to vzw on Black Friday ready to get my Xmas gift (early, of course! You know how impatient us phone nerds are :)) They informed that there was no such upgrade in existence. WTF?? They said, however, that my upgrade was January 7 of 2012. I asked if we could pay to upgrade a month early so I could have my phone on Xmas with everyone else. The rep could not have been less sympathetic about the Xmas situation. She just said "Yeah, sorry the inconvenience, but I'll see ya back here on January 7!" She politely said there was no way I could leave the store with a new phone today.

I was livid, moreso that the rep could have such an "Eat Dirt" attitude towards a loyal family who has been with Verizon for over 10 years. I called customer service immediately from my car. The rep said I could upgrade 30 days early, but not to a 4G phone, nor an iPhone. Funny how the store rep didn't even mention that deal.

Here's where it gets good. My father, the account holder, called customer service and asked to speak to a supervisor. He informed her that we had been customers for 10+ years, we have 4 lines, and that we spend over $6,000 a YEAR on Verizon services (for example, our Verizon bill last month alone was $671). That's just services (cell plans, home phone, internet, FIOS TV, etc.) Plus, all we spend on new phones, accessories, and such. All that and they refused to let us upgrade a month early? Really??

Long story short, the supervisor went into the computer and changed the upgrade date to that day. We went back to the same store and bought the Rezound that day.

-mcskipp

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I heard that you can pay $20 for an early upgrade. Is that bs? If not how does that work.
I am about 9 months away from my upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I510

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You see, I've been extremely ill lately. I have nerve damage and they're currently testing me for various cancers. It sucks. My parents were SO EXCITED to buy me this phone for Xmas because they knew how excited I was, and how I've been dealing with so much chronic pain. Sob story, I know, but when you're sick and you feel like your world is crumbling in on you, stupid little things like getting a new phone is just enough to keep your spirits up. I realize it sounds ridiculous, but it's honestly true...We went back to the same store and bought the Rezound that day.
I totally hear ya mcskipp. I've been having some of my own personal issues lately, and you're right. Sometimes whatever it takes to put a smile on your face is something worthwhile. I'm super happy that you were able to get your Rezound!

My wife and I have been looking to upgrade her flip phone to a smartphone for the past month or so. She really liked the Rhyme (but dealbreaker was no replaceable battery), almost got the Dinc2, and we were kinda waiting to just see what the Nexus looked and felt like. After seeing that Costco deal online Friday morning for the Rezound, we decided to take a look at that one. We finished breakfast, ran some errands, went to Target, a Costco warehouse, and finally Verizon to get our hands on an actual Rezound device to feel it in her hands. I don't know about her, but I fell in love with that phone. That screen is stunning to say the least. Honestly, I think it was a tough decision for her between the Dinc2 (better size) and the Rezound (bigger and thicker), but she felt like the screen, the double data promotion, and the future proofing with a faster processor was too much to look past. We went home to order the phone on Costco online, and needless to say, it was sold out.

I really think the Rezound might be better for her than the Nexus. She is not a techie and could care less about ICS. She might even find Sense more user friendly, and the better sound quality (?) of Beats Audio would probably be more important to her.

Anyway, that's my story. Again, so super glad you got your Rezound! Tell us about your first few days with the phone, though maybe you should start another thread. We seem to have hijacked this one, and I can't remember what the original topic was! ;)

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I heard that you can pay $20 for an early upgrade. Is that bs? If not how does that work.
This might be what you're referring to...Basically, if you got your phone before ~January 16, 2011 (not sure of the exact date), Verizon used to offer an early annual upgrade for their 2-year contracts. At around that date, they decided to get rid of that program though. Anyway, if you were the primary user in a standard 2-year contract, you could actually upgrade after only 1 year. However, you could (a) only upgrade at a Verizon store or Verizon online (i.e. not at Costco, etc.), and (b) you would have to pay an extra $20. Supposedly, that $20 might have been waived if you bought the phone on Verizon's website. FYI, if you did get your phone before ~January 16, 2011, then you were grandfathered into this annual upgrade option, and you can still take advantage of it one last time. If you're 9 months away from your 2-year upgrade date, then you're probably good to go. That's what I plan to do actually. Last but not least, I _think_ your upgrade date is listed when you log into your VerizonWireless account online. Good luck!

Reactions: davey11

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks fightfan. God, I hope my clueless local vzw reps even know this deal exists. When the nexus drops, I'll throw a tantrum and make them give me an early upgrade for $20!

Sent from my SCH-I510

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
All the ideas/comments/feedback have been great. Perhaps a combo of them might work out? Buyback for $350, add a line for $360ish over 2yrs + $300 GN, get a dummy phone for original line. Puts me at cost of $310. Hmmmm?

no no no, you want to put the dummy phone on the NEW line so you can keep your number, and (if you have it) your unlimited data. otherwise you'll have a new number and tiered data.
I just did this about a month ago. I opened a new line and ordered my new phone online. then when I got the phone I brought it to the store, unopened, and had them put it on my line, then gave them my old razr to activate on the new line. I got a new phone and it was never active on the new line, and the data plan basically was canceled before it was activated.
of course, I ended up returning it and canceling the whole thing when I found my old phone....

Family plan
Primary: Dinc with old $15 data plan, under contract until Nov 2012, eligible for last one-year annual upgrade now though*
Mom: old flip phone with no data plan, out of contract, eligible for normal upgrade now

* I understand that the annual upgrade option is only available at actual Verizon Wireless stores and their online website, i.e. not at Costco, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

As I understand it, I can get a new Nexus under my Mom's account with a $30 data plan, thus putting her under contract for 2 years. Then, I can deactivate my Mom's smartphone, put her back on her flip phone, and remove the $30 data plan. I can activate that new Nexus on my primary line, maintain my old $15 data plan if I want, and keep my line eligible for a 1-year annual upgrade and contract expiration on Nov 2012.

Is that what is meant when people talk about transferring their upgrade to another line? Can I do all of that without the deactivation and reactivation of the Nexus? The benefit, of course, is that I could look for a cheaper price at other stores, i.e. Costco. Presumably, I'd end up as follows. (?)

you are WAY overcomplicating things here.
first of all, you get one annual upgrade (based on the plan of the primary line) per family plan
each line gets their "new every two" upgrade
all these upgrades exist on the entire account, not on the line, so you can buy a phone for any line once there is an available upgrade on the account. there is no buying it for your mother then swapping back and forth.

Reactions: fightfan

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
It ends up costing the same though.

Possibly, but I think it'll probably less, even if only slightly. It'll depend mostly on what the TBolt would sell for. Remember too that the OP can cancel the original line after another year or so (whatever remains on that line until the upgrade is available). That effectively means only paying for the additional line for whatever time remains until the upgrade becomes available on the original line (line the TBolt was originally activated on). So, rather than paying $10 (add'l line fee) for 24-mos., it's only for whatever remains on the old line. If the line is actually canceled, I think it comes out a little cheaper. Plus, as was mentioned before, it spreads out the cost which may make it a little more palatable.

Also, since the ETF is prorated (at least that's what it used to be), the old line can be canceled before the upgrade is due, and just the prorated portion of the ETF would be due. This will not save as much money, but will get rid of another line to have to worry about.

Wow, I was under the impression that the original TB (or any smartphone) contract required a data plan for the entire 24 month duration. If you deactivate that smartphone, can you really remove the data package associated with it? That would be important news to keep in mind for sure. Thanks.

No. You don't have to have it the full length of the contract. It's just that you have to have a data plan if you have a smartphone activated on the line.

He has it backwards:

1) Activate new line, with Galaxy Nexus
2) Get old feature phone
3) Activate feature phone on new line, and remove all features like data
4) Activate galaxy nexus on old line (so you can keep the same phone number)

You don't need active data for the entire contract length. You just have to keep the line active and number not canceled.

Yeah, this is pretty much the sequence of events, but it may depend on where you go. When I did it a few years back, I activated a new line when I purchased my BlackBerry Tour. I then had them switch the data plan from my old line to the new line (thereby only having a data plan on one line -- I had a smartphone on the old line). I then deactivated my old smartphone. Later that day, I activated a feature phone on the old line, then switched my Tour and feature phone such that my Tour would be on my old line and the feature phone would be on the newly activated line.

I made the purchase and activation of the new phone at Best Buy, and then did the activation of the feature phone and line switching through Verizon. So, they were really separate, distinct transactions. Verizon could probably do it all at once. So there may be some slight variations in sequence of events with what Droid800 posted, but the idea is all the same.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
He has it backwards:

1) Activate new line, with Galaxy Nexus
2) Get old feature phone
3) Activate feature phone on new line, and remove all features like data
4) Activate galaxy nexus on old line (so you can keep the same phone number)

You don't need active data for the entire contract length. You just have to keep the line active and number not canceled.

This assumes you buy the phone from Verizon, Best Buy or someone who does not have any extra strings. If you go Letstalk.com Wirefly.com or Amazonwireless you arent allowed to swap phones or remove the data plan for 6 months (181 days) or you get a $250 extra charge.

But yes I have done this before.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification Droid800 and cdmta regarding canceling data plan without violating contract. I think I might have gotten the data plan and actual phone confused. I'm almost certain you cannot keep a smartphone active without the data plan, i.e. you can't get a new smartphone under contract and use it only for wifi. That is great news to know though!

That's why you switch a dumb phone to that line. You only have to put the new phone on the new line long enough to accept the terms and conditions. You MAY get a smapp prorated part of the data plan on your bill but i never have.

I'm 90% sure I know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd ask to be certain. Here's my current situation.

Family plan
Primary: Dinc with old $15 data plan, under contract until Nov 2012, eligible for last one-year annual upgrade now though*
Mom: old flip phone with no data plan, out of contract, eligible for normal upgrade now

* I understand that the annual upgrade option is only available at actual Verizon Wireless stores and their online website, i.e. not at Costco, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Corect

As I understand it, I can get a new Nexus under my Mom's account with a $30 data plan, thus putting her under contract for 2 years. Then, I can deactivate my Mom's smartphone, put her back on her flip phone, and remove the $30 data plan. I can activate that new Nexus on my primary line, maintain my old $15 data plan if I want, and keep my line eligible for a 1-year annual upgrade and contract expiration on Nov 2012.

Corect. The only drawback is that her line now has the higher $350 ETF but if she isn't considering leaving VZW then that is a non issue.

Is that what is meant when people talk about transferring their upgrade to another line? Can I do all of that without the deactivation and reactivation of the Nexus? The benefit, of course, is that I could look for a cheaper price at other stores, i.e. Costco. Presumably, I'd end up as follows. (?)

In a corporate store or online you can just move the upgrade and not effect your mom's phone at all.

Family plan
Primary: Nexus with old $15 data plan, under contract until Nov 2012, eligible for last one-year annual upgrade now
Mom: old flip phone with no data plan, under contract until Nov 2013

Hope this doesn't constitute hijacking a thread! Thanks again for the clarification guys!

You will need the $30 smartphone data plan on the Nexus. You can do that promotional 300 MB data plan if you really want but you will blow through your data allotment in about 3 days, If you aren't grandparented into unlimited data I strongly advise the Double Data 4GB at the price of 2GB data plan.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh ya, it just occurred to me. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the past, I was under the impression that some resellers (a non-Verizon corporate store) made you sign their own contract in addition to the standard 2-year Verizon one. It generally wasn't a big deal, but one of the stipulations might have been that nothing be changed for 6 months. If that is still the case and removing a data plan violated that condition, then there might be some other obstacles to consider. Bottom-line, I guess it's probably best to talk to the agent and make sure you read all of the fine print if required. Hopefully the agent will know what they're talking about. I suspect these type of things are done pretty frequently though.

Yeo, Wirefly. Letstalk.com and Amazonwireless are all that way. Make changes and you get a $250 fee.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Store reps have very little leeway on getting upgrades. Telesale/customer service can upgrade you if you are within 30 days of your upgrade date. If you are a little more than that then they can get off the phone and talk to their managers who will often allow it. Supervisor sand store managers can do almost anything they want, yes.

Sent from my SCH-I510

IF they let you upgrade then yes there is a $20 fee (like that matters to most of us LOL) on our next bill. It's not like you can go and say "I'd like to upgrade early and pay the extra fee" If your account does not show eligible then it doesn't. In the past a line could after 12 months if it was the primary on a family plan or an individual plan but this has been phased out.

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Store reps have very little leeway on getting upgrades. Telesale/customer service can upgrade you if you are within 30 days of your upgrade date. If you are a little more than that then they can get off the phone and talk to their managers who will often allow it. Supervisor sand store managers can do almost anything they want, yes.

Wait, so all that drama we went through could have been avoided if the store manager wanted to give me the upgrade?? He was there and said the same thing that the sales rep said, that there was no way he could give me the upgrade a month early.

And, the funny part was that when I came back to the store later that day, he asked how he could help me when I walked in. I said "I'm back to upgrade my phone". He looked puzzled. I replied "Oh, I just called corporate and they changed my upgrade date." He didn't look thrilled.

-mcskipp

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so all that drama we went through could have been avoided if the store manager wanted to give me the upgrade?? He was there and said the same thing that the sales rep said, that there was no way he could give me the upgrade a month early.

And, the funny part was that when I came back to the store later that day, he asked how he could help me when I walked in. I said "I'm back to upgrade my phone". He looked puzzled. I replied "Oh, I just called corporate and they changed my upgrade date." He didn't look thrilled.

-mcskipp

I think even they have limits, but yes they can usually do it for you, but rarely do otherwise everyone would be asking them to. Remember early upgrades cost them money as they factor in part of your monthly bill each month to pay for the subsidy. If he was saying that he could not do it a month early I think he was full of crap, unless there have been some recent changes made. I've personally only had upgrades changed in store twice, one was a week early and the other was a month or so, but telesales let me do it almost three early once after talking to a supervisor (they got off the phone and asked I didn't have to complain) and more than once within 30 days they didn't even have to check they just did it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read through all the post, but one solid idea is to have your home phone number ported to Verizon, adding a 9.99 line (and getting rid of your home phone bill, if you have one), get the Nexus on it and then they can switch the Nexus to your primary cell line. You current device would become the home phone.

Reactions: Androidpwns

tm3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever considered using Cellswapper.com? I used them recently and provided an incentive of $75 to transfer my 18 month contract to another party. Carriers have a clause in their contracts that basically allow you to avoid the ETF by transferring your contract to another party. Once it is transferred, you have no liability and are free to initiate an entirely new contract with any carrier. In my case, I advertised my contract for approximately 3 weeks and then had two offers in the same week. Anyway, just another option which is not immediate but may help eliminate the ETF with a little patience. Cellswapper makes a small fee on the front-end for promoting your contract on their site.

Reactions: Androidpwns

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12