Phonedog First Impressions

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow, phonedog really doesn't seem to impressed. I have watched several of their videos and usually theirs are pretty fair.

Negatives that stand out.

Camera
Battery
Complicated OS

The OS being complicated blind sided me.

Would love to see those with the device chime in.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Figures I love how some reviewers rag on Android for continually innovating while at the same time Apple gets crazy amount of praise when they add one stupid feature eg. Siri yet no negative comments for keeping the UI stale and boring.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Figures I love how some reviewers rag on Android for continually innovating while at the same time Apple gets crazy amount of praise when they add one stupid feature eg. Siri yet no negative comments for keeping the UI stale and boring.

It doesn't have a half eaten fruit on it, so when they actually innovate and not just add things that have been in other OS since day one phonedog is dumbfounded at that concept.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I've heard that from other reviews also. Nothing new. For a newbie coming to android it is complex there are just gobs of settings and Widgets and customization going and ics took it up a level.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thats a pretty crappy article

He does not look into the why, only the surface and gives his complete uneducated opinion.

IMO forget that review its pretty dumb, go for better sources

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't have a half eaten fruit on it, so when they actually innovate and not just add things that have been in other OS since day one phonedog is dumbfounded at that concept.

The guys at phonedog are apple crazed people anyways. I hardly ever read that site anymore

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that from other reviews also. Nothing new. For a newbie coming to android it is complex there are just gobs of settings and Widgets and customization going and ics took it up a level.

So you are thinking it's just Android in General? That wouldn't bother me so much, but I would like to see it be a little more friendly for the average consumer.

I personally enjoy settings, tweaks, etc..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The guys at phonedog are apple crazed people anyways. I hardly ever read that site anymore

Agree, you can see who is paying their bills... I dont understand why they even review non apple stuff since they hate it. Just stick it on droid dog and let them review it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I watched that review. I usually like his reviews but he does seem to be partial toward the OEM skins. Did you see how he tried the pinch gesture to show all the screens like HTC sense?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I watched that review. I usually like his reviews but he does seem to be partial toward the OEM skins. Did you see how he tried the pinch gesture to show all the screens like HTC sense?

He just doesn't know that with ICS you don't need a skin it is already better than with gb.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
With so much written about this phone already I could really care less about what anyone has to say/write at this point. There's nothing new under the sun with the device. Just release the damn thing already.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

laughed when he did that and called him a noob. Most of these guys that review handsets dont know anything about the phone. its annoying cause I know more than they do.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason he finds ICS to be "a step back" in the usability department is because he is so used to Gingerbread. Once he keeps the device for a longer period of time, he will understand. Go back to him two months from now and ask him to pick up a Gingerbread device, he will say "ICS is definitely a step up from Gingerbread in the usability department."

We will all go through this.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear...

Legitimate reviewer reviewing stuff any other day: "Yeah, i agree. He's cool and impartial for the most part and i like that".

Legit reviewer when he doesn't like what you have been waiting months for: "Psh! Obviously he's an idiot apple fanboy! Never does good reviews and remember Aaron from phonedog when he was fat? Yeah. He was humble back then. Look at him now"

People. You may need to brace yourself for the idea that maybe when you get one, there'll be a couple things that irk you. Some would call these "flaws", but no! We won't call them that. We'll call them "bugs that google will fix because we're in the special club". Even if the "bug" is bad build quality, it will get fixed. I promise.

I would like to memorialize this post with a couple of my favorite quotes from users that are obviously smarter than me and have had more hands on time with the product than these "fanboy reviewers"

Thats a pretty crappy article

He does not look into the why, only the surface and gives his complete uneducated opinion.

IMO forget that review its pretty dumb, go for better sources

Wasn't this a "first impressions" article? How deep can you really go?

We android people keep it legit. None of that biased "phonedog" crap. I get my android reviews from myself. Because really. Who's smarter than me?

Last edited:

rgrmatt69

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus packs a 1,750 mAh battery, and while I'm still running official battery numbers, I've been disappointed....but with what I consider to be "moderate use", I can snag roughly nine hours of use before the phone powers down.

Battery life has always been a strong feature in the iPhone's favor, and the 4S doesn't disappoint. With up to 10 hours of video playback and eight hours of talk time on 3G

Site is a joke. The guy didn't even take the time to find out why Google couldn't include the exynos GPU. No wonder I've never even heard of that site before.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Site is a joke. The guy didn't even take the time to find out why Google couldn't include the exynos GPU. No wonder I've never even heard of that site before.

THE guy? Which guy? Are you referring to phonedog's first impressions article with Aaron Baker? Because in your iphone quote, you were quoting a completely different person named Taylor Martin who still took off a point in iphone's favor saying battery life was not as good as iphone 4, which echos what consumers have been saying.

Just trying to understand what you're saying. It looked like you were attacking Aaron's article with quotes that would show favoritism but you used a quote from another person to show bias towards Aaron. Looked kinda funny.

Last edited:

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow, phonedog really doesn't seem to impressed. I have watched several of their videos and usually theirs are pretty fair.

Negatives that stand out.

Camera
Battery
Complicated OS

The OS being complicated blind sided me.

Would love to see those with the device chime in.

Check out this review by Josh Topolsky on The Verge. Very fair and accurate from a very mobile-knowledgeable person. Galaxy Nexus review | The Verge

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The reason he finds ICS to be "a step back" in the usability department is because he is so used to Gingerbread. Once he keeps the device for a longer period of time, he will understand. Go back to him two months from now and ask him to pick up a Gingerbread device, he will say "ICS is definitely a step up from Gingerbread in the usability department."

We will all go through this.

So true.