Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Default Phonedog First Impressions

Wow, phonedog really doesn't seem to impressed. I have watched several of their videos and usually theirs are pretty fair.

Negatives that stand out.

Camera
    Battery
    Complicated OS

The OS being complicated blind sided me.

Would love to see those with the device chime in.

Figures I love how some reviewers rag on Android for continually innovating while at the same time Apple gets crazy amount of praise when they add one stupid feature eg. Siri yet no negative comments for keeping the UI stale and boring.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Default Re: Phonedog First Impressions

I would say wait and use one yourself before judging. They usually aren't to kind towards android devices.

Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    Figures I love how some reviewers rag on Android for continually innovating while at the same time Apple gets crazy amount of praise when they add one stupid feature eg. Siri yet no negative comments for keeping the UI stale and boring.

It doesn't have a half eaten fruit on it, so when they actually innovate and not just add things that have been in other OS since day one phonedog is dumbfounded at that concept.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I've heard that from other reviews also. Nothing new. For a newbie coming to android it is complex there are just gobs of settings and Widgets and customization going and ics took it up a level.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Thats a pretty crappy article

He does not look into the why, only the surface and gives his complete uneducated opinion.

IMO forget that review its pretty dumb, go for better sources

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    It doesn't have a half eaten fruit on it, so when they actually innovate and not just add things that have been in other OS since day one phonedog is dumbfounded at that concept.
    The guys at phonedog are apple crazed people anyways. I hardly ever read that site anymore

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I've heard that from other reviews also. Nothing new. For a newbie coming to android it is complex there are just gobs of settings and Widgets and customization going and ics took it up a level.

So you are thinking it's just Android in General? That wouldn't bother me so much, but I would like to see it be a little more friendly for the average consumer.

I personally enjoy settings, tweaks, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    The guys at phonedog are apple crazed people anyways. I hardly ever read that site anymore

Agree, you can see who is paying their bills... I dont understand why they even review non apple stuff since they hate it. Just stick it on droid dog and let them review it.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I watched that review. I usually like his reviews but he does seem to be partial toward the OEM skins. Did you see how he tried the pinch gesture to show all the screens like HTC sense?

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    I watched that review. I usually like his reviews but he does seem to be partial toward the OEM skins. Did you see how he tried the pinch gesture to show all the screens like HTC sense?
    He just doesn't know that with ICS you don't need a skin it is already better than with gb.

With so much written about this phone already I could really care less about what anyone has to say/write at this point. There's nothing new under the sun with the device. Just release the damn thing already.
    qnet, Mooem and jephanie like this.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    laughed when he did that and called him a noob. Most of these guys that review handsets dont know anything about the phone. its annoying cause I know more than they do.
    Premium1 likes this.

The reason he finds ICS to be "a step back" in the usability department is because he is so used to Gingerbread. Once he keeps the device for a longer period of time, he will understand. Go back to him two months from now and ask him to pick up a Gingerbread device, he will say "ICS is definitely a step up from Gingerbread in the usability department."

We will all go through this.
    Mooem and SoulWeaponry like this.

Oh dear...

Legitimate reviewer reviewing stuff any other day: "Yeah, i agree. He's cool and impartial for the most part and i like that".

Legit reviewer when he doesn't like what you have been waiting months for: "Psh! Obviously he's an ***** apple fanboy! Never does good reviews and remember Aaron from phonedog when he was fat? Yeah. He was humble back then. Look at him now"

People. You may need to brace yourself for the idea that maybe when you get one, there'll be a couple things that irk you. Some would call these "flaws", but no! We won't call them that. We'll call them "bugs that google will fix because we're in the special club". Even if the "bug" is bad build quality, it will get fixed. I promise.

I would like to memorialize this post with a couple of my favorite quotes from users that are obviously smarter than me and have had more hands on time with the product than these "fanboy reviewers"

Quote Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
    Thats a pretty crappy article

He does not look into the why, only the surface and gives his complete uneducated opinion.

IMO forget that review its pretty dumb, go for better sources
    Wasn't this a "first impressions" article? How deep can you really go?

We android people keep it legit. None of that biased "phonedog" crap. I get my android reviews from myself. Because really. Who's smarter than me?
    Last edited by i_poop_splinters; 11-29-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    yapkuen and VickMackey#AC like this.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Galaxy Nexus packs a 1,750 mAh battery, and while I'm still running official battery numbers, I've been disappointed....but with what I consider to be "moderate use", I can snag roughly nine hours of use before the phone powers down.
    Battery life has always been a strong feature in the iPhone's favor, and the 4S doesn't disappoint. With up to 10 hours of video playback and eight hours of talk time on 3G
    Site is a joke. The guy didn't even take the time to find out why Google couldn't include the exynos GPU. No wonder I've never even heard of that site before.
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by USofPlutarchy View Post
    Site is a joke. The guy didn't even take the time to find out why Google couldn't include the exynos GPU. No wonder I've never even heard of that site before.
    THE guy? Which guy? Are you referring to? Because in your iphone quote, you were quoting a completely different person named Taylor Martin who still took off a point in iphone's favor saying battery life was not as good as iphone 4, which echos what consumers have been saying.

Just trying to understand what you're saying. It looked like you were attacking Aaron's article with quotes that would show favoritism but you used a quote from another person to show bias towards Aaron. Looked kinda funny.
    Last edited by i_poop_splinters; 11-29-2011 at 04:57 AM.

ROM
    Stock+

/thread

If you really must watch an android review by an apple-washed blog, I find technobuffalo isn't a complete git.
    dlh

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG G2 stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrap View Post
    Wow, phonedog really doesn't seem to impressed. I have watched several of their videos and usually theirs are pretty fair.

Negatives that stand out.

Camera
    Battery
    Complicated OS

The OS being complicated blind sided me.

Would love to see those with the device chime in.

Check out this review by Josh Topolsky on The Verge. Very fair and accurate from a very mobile-knowledgeable person.
    Android Convert
    BB 7130e > BB Curve > BB Storm2 > Droid Pro > GNex > HTC One > LG G2
    Verizon > TMO

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    The reason he finds ICS to be "a step back" in the usability department is because he is so used to Gingerbread. Once he keeps the device for a longer period of time, he will understand. Go back to him two months from now and ask him to pick up a Gingerbread device, he will say "ICS is definitely a step up from Gingerbread in the usability department."

We will all go through this.
    So true.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10, Stock JellyBean

Phonedog is a crappy site. I don't bless them with page views, and I haven't in about 18 months. Same with BGR. Among the 2 worst "blogs" on the internet for tech news - they're unreliable, extremely biased, and they also have very poor writers. Again on the bias note - their Apple bias (especially at BGR) bleeds out from underneath every word they write, in fact it's so obvious I think even Apple fanboys get sick of BGR's inane praise over the iPhone. I could rant for hours about how I have disdain for Jonathan Geller and Zach Epstein over at BGR.

Quote Originally Posted by i_****_splinters View Post
    Oh dear...

Legitimate reviewer reviewing stuff any other day: "Yeah, i agree. He's cool and impartial for the most part and i like that".

Legit reviewer when he doesn't like what you have been waiting months for: "Psh! Obviously he's an ***** apple fanboy! Never does good reviews and remember Aaron from phonedog when he was fat? Yeah. He was humble back then. Look at him now"

People. You may need to brace yourself for the idea that maybe when you get one, there'll be a couple things that irk you. Some would call these "flaws", but no! We won't call them that. We'll call them "bugs that google will fix because we're in the special club". Even if the "bug" is bad build quality, it will get fixed. I promise.

I would like to memorialize this post with a couple of my favorite quotes from users that are obviously smarter than me and have had more hands on time with the product than these "fanboy reviewers"

Wasn't this a "first impressions" article? How deep can you really go?

We android people keep it legit. None of that biased "phonedog" crap. I get my android reviews from myself. Because really. Who's smarter than me?
    Can you lay off with all the blatantly condescending tones in your posts to people simply voicing their opinions. It's becoming a bore to read your'e lack of respect to counter opinions in every recent thread lately. You seem like an intelligent enough guy whose more than capable of engaging in intellectual debate. Why go that route?
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    Can you lay off with all the blatantly condescending tones in your posts to people simply voicing their opinions. It's becoming a bore to read your'e lack of respect to counter opinions in every recent thread lately. You seem like an intelligent enough guy whose more than capable of engaging in intellectual debate. Why go that route?
    I'd be pissy too if I pooped splinters.
    SoulWeaponry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    You seem like an intelligent enough guy whose more than capable of engaging in intellectual debate.
    That's where you are wrong about Mr. ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterdroid View Post
    I'd be pissy too if I pooped splinters.
    LOLIRL. I just shot Diet Coke out my nose...and boy does that stuff burn the sinuses!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast