Verizon Questions for the GNex, coming from ATT.

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
All,

I will be moving to VZW from ATT for this, and since this phone has untainted Google services, i should ask you guys what kind of plan i may need for the GNex.

1 - I have heard that you don't need to purchase a text bundle from VZW but can use free text allocation from Google or other sources. What do you do, and what are your pros & cons to report? VZW may charge about $5/mo for 250 texts.

2 - VZW Visual Voicemail is listed as an add-on per month at BB's site (just checking out details for general Sammy phones... no the GNex is not live on the site as i write this). Is this anything to consider, or something to pass on (I have a feeling I know the answer, but I'm totally new to Android, so gotta ask)?

3 - GVoice/Youmail... i had both on my iphone for a day each, but integration is poor at best, so i dropped both. Are these a full replacement for Visual Voicemail or whatever? I'm obviously confused on options as I try to plan my needs. I prefer good integration and ease of use... no major bells/whistles needed, although I'd consider anything if the price is right.

4 - Like most here going 2yr contract, my options appear to be VZW & BB stores. Is there any benefit or advantage to either for me, coming from ATT (out of contract)?

Thanks very much... I searched first! ;)

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
All,

I will be moving to VZW from ATT for this, and since this phone has untainted Google services, i should ask you guys what kind of plan i may need for the GNex.

1 - I have heard that you don't need to purchase a text bundle from VZW but can use free text allocation from Google or other sources. What do you do, and what are your pros & cons to report? VZW may charge about $5/mo for 250 texts.

2 - VZW Visual Voicemail is listed as an add-on per month at BB's site (just checking out details for general Sammy phones... no the GNex is not live on the site as i write this). Is this anything to consider, or something to pass on (I have a feeling I know the answer, but I'm totally new to Android, so gotta ask)?

3 - GVoice/Youmail... i had both on my iphone for a day each, but integration is poor at best, so i dropped both. Are these a full replacement for Visual Voicemail or whatever? I'm obviously confused on options as I try to plan my needs. I prefer good integration and ease of use... no major bells/whistles needed, although I'd consider anything if the price is right.

4 - Like most here going 2yr contract, my options appear to be VZW & BB stores. Is there any benefit or advantage to either for me, coming from ATT (out of contract)?

1. VZW will require that you get a data pack which is below, smart phones start at $30.00 for 2GB:

Data (For Basic Phones and Smartphones)

Includes web, email and any other Internet use.

Data Allowance Monthly Access Overage
Pay Per Use (For Basic Phones Only) $1.99/MB ? Personal Email $5
75MB (For Basic Phones Only) $10 $10/75MB
2GB $30 $10/1GB -
5GB $50 $10/1GB
10GB $80 $10/1GB
4GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $50 $10/1GB
7GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $70 $10/1GB
12GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $100 $10/1GB

Now I thought messaging was included with the smartphone as I have unlimited and don't have a separate messaging plan, but don't see that on the website. Maybe someone else can confirm what it's like for new customers.

2. Yes, it's extra but Google Voice is free.

3. Google Voice is most likely better integrated on Android than it was on Iphone. I've never used an Iphone so I can't say for sure.

4. There are some people around here that have experience with both, I do not so I won't comment.

:)

Reactions: zero.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
All,

If you have a Google Voice account you can use it to text for free. It goes through data and will not work without a data connection. It will also be sent from your Google Voice number. As of right now I don't think MMS works with Google Voice.

For visual voicemail I would just signup for a Google Voice account and route your missed calls to it. You use the Google Voice app to read and listen to your voicemail. Having to pay for Verizons voicemail app does not make sense. I believe with ICS Google Voice gets integrated into a lot more of the system.

I like to buy from Best Buy because you have 30 days to exchange rather then 14 with Verizon. Its not a big deal right now because anything bought right now at Verizon can be returned until 1/15 so that does not apply for the Nexus.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Not to dodge your questions but before we start on them is the Gnex the reason you are moving? If so see AC home page as apparently an ATT Gnex just passed through FCC. At current rate ATT may have before VZW.

Let us know and we will start on your list.

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Not to dodge your questions but before we start on them is the Gnex the reason you are moving? If so see AC home page as apparently an ATT Gnex just passed through FCC. At current rate ATT may have before VZW.

That raises a good point, but just because it passed thru FCC does not mean it's going to be on ATT in the next week...even Phil's article said that

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
and I'm not trying to start some flame war so if you're offended by comment, please take a breath and think about it. It seems to be a common misconception in this forum right now that the FCC with the other radio bands means the phone is right around the corner. But just as we don't know exactly when it's coming to VZW, we have no idea when it's going to the other carriers, as it's not even announced yet.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
No offense. Just at the current rate VZW is moving ATT might get it first (unlikely but possible) :'(

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

fair enough.
if AT&T had this phone, or another similar spec phone with untainted Android (ICS preferably, or a promise for a new year update to ICS), then i would stay with AT&T. the Nitro HD has made no such promises, although it may be clean and may get ICS. but an FCC application or approval for the GNex means nothing to me at this point. and some believe that FCC application may be for the Canadian market. also, some believe this VZW GNex will be one of very few phones this year with a pure untainted Android experience, and updates coming from Google.

i don't have problems with AT&T, but what's keeping me there? nothing. so, for my next phone, i'm most concerned with stuff not getting messed up by the carrier, whichever it is in the end. AT&T is behind the 8 ball to me, because i have not been tempted yet by press releases or leaks promising anything at all. until that happens and i see worth in AT&T's lineup, i'm going for the GNex even if i have to switch carriers to get it.

i'm now off contract with AT&T, so i can switch as easily as giving Verizon or Best Buy my acct # and saying GO. watcha think?

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
fair enough.
if AT&T had this phone, or another similar spec phone with untainted Android (ICS preferably, or a promise for a new year update to ICS), then i would stay with AT&T. the Nitro HD has made no such promises, although it may be clean and may get ICS. but an FCC application or approval for the GNex means nothing to me at this point. and some believe that FCC application may be for the Canadian market. also, some believe this VZW GNex will be one of very few phones this year with a pure untainted Android experience, and updates coming from Google.

i don't have problems with AT&T, but what's keeping me there? nothing. so, for my next phone, i'm most concerned with stuff not getting messed up by the carrier, whichever it is in the end. AT&T is behind the 8 ball to me, because i have not been tempted yet by press releases or leaks promising anything at all. until that happens and i see worth in AT&T's lineup, i'm going for the GNex even if i have to switch carriers to get it.

i'm now off contract with AT&T, so i can switch as easily as giving Verizon or Best Buy my acct # and saying GO. watcha think?

I'd say the only downfall is if you still had unlimited data through AT&T and were losing that to go to VZW.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
no unlimited data. with my iP 3GS i typically use far less than 2GB/mo. pricing for my needs appears the same between between the two more or less.

That being the case, you can't go wrong with the GN on VZW. Better coverage, 4G, and a spanking awesome phone.

Win, win, win.
rocker.gif

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Although I guess it should be said...

a) Does VZW offer good coverage in your area?
b) Is 4G in your area?

i'm in Dallas, so that's a big yes.

how bout this one?:

grayzweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Google Voice. I use it just for voicemail (visual) with the app, keeping my VZW number with it. Works great IMO.

Depending on which phone plan you get, I have unlimited text/ mms within my minutes plan. I'd have to look it up, but the texting is pretty cheap as an add on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I only know about Best Buy from what I've read on these forums. My consensus is:

1) you usually get a longer window to exchange your phone with Best Buy, although Verizon has extended theirs from 15 days until 01/15 because of the Holidays.
2) Best Buy has been known to sell the phone at a higher price and not price match
3) Best Buy offers better Warranty Services

I think it's a preference and I don't know if all of that is fact, just stuff I remember reading throughout here as a lot of people have been bringing up Best Buy vs. Verizon direct.

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
+1 on Google Voice. I use it just for voicemail (visual) with the app, keeping my VZW number with it. Works great IMO.

Depending on which phone plan you get, I have unlimited text/ mms within my minutes plan. I'd have to look it up, but the texting is pretty cheap as an add on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I remember when I got my Droid 1, they made me alter my plan so that instead of having unlimited text and my minutes separately that they were packaged together.

Here's what mine looks like:

My Voice Plan

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT 450$49.79/mo
$59.99/mo Change Minutes

Plan Includes:
$59.99 Monthly Access Charge
450 Monthly Allowance Minutes
Per Minute Rate After Allowance: $0.45/min. Peak , $0.45/min. Off-Peak

My Messaging Plan

Unl Text Messaging Included

Change Messaging

My Data Plan

Unlimited Data $23.99/mo
$29.99/mo

It says Messaging Included. The first rate on there is at an employer discount, so if you don't have a discount then you are looking at the higher prices.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If Goggle Voice on an iPod Touch is anything like it is on an iPhone, the Android experience will be much more seemless for you on Android. I imported my number last year and it's been a great experience. You text through the GV app rather than your messaging app, and your voicemail appears transcribed in the same inbox your incoming texts do. If you set GV to "make all calls," you still use the regular dialer app but a little box pops up indicating the call is being made with GV. In terms of calls received via your GV number, there is no difference between that and calls to the number Verizon will assign to your phone. It's really seemless.

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
If Goggle Voice on an iPod Touch is anything like it is on an iPhone, the Android experience will be much more seemless for you on Android. I imported my number last year and it's been a great experience. You text through the GV app rather than your messaging app, and your voicemail appears transcribed in the same inbox your incoming texts do. If you set GV to "make all calls," you still use the regular dialer app but a little box pops up indicating the call is being made with GV. In terms of calls received via your GV number, there is no difference between that and calls to the number Verizon will assign to your phone. It's really seemless.

the integration & customization is what finally sold me on switching. within the context of modern smart phones, my iphone has just about no integration. being that i'm a google user and never a mac user, this is the obvious choice for me, unless another clean ICS phone is announced soon.

thank you all for the help! :)

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow I cant believe nobody mentioned the double the data promotion which is going on right now. You get 4GB for the price you would normally get 2 for.. Best time to switch which is why im considering it. You may use more data with LTE...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital