Question about Nexus charging voltage

bwillyM5

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I know from the Google specs and pictures/videos that the Galaxy Nexus can be charged with either micro-USB or via the 3 pins on the right side of the device with the various docks seen today.
However, does anybody know what the required charging amperage (current) will be. Can it be charged by a standard 5V - 0.5A USB power adapter or will it require a higher amperage like a tablet? I thought I remember reading something a couple of weeks ago that the GN was going to require more than the 0.5A that a USB 2.0 port can provide.
Can someone with a Verizon or GSM Galaxy Nexus verify what the amperage of the included power adapter is and whether it will charge off a standard 0.5A USB port?

Thanks!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing earlier. I have been trying to find the OEM charger online somewhere to see the specs. All I know is with newer devices, you get the wrong voltage and you end up having problems from slow charge times to weird artifacts on the screen. The USB connected to the computer takes forever to charge my OG.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Voltage needs to be the same but what you are really talking about is amperage. The phone will take what ever it needs but the limiting factor is what you can give it. The more the merrier when it comes to amperage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jlongjr27

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Voltage needs to be the same but what you are really talking about is amperage. The phone will take what ever it needs but the limiting factor is what you can give it. The more the merrier when it comes to amperage.

Yep, what he said.

It's interesting how many people are confused by this.

Some newer motherboards and docking stations come with a USB port or 2 that will charge USB devices faster.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Some phones will flat out not charge if the amperage is too low. 500ma is a good minimum if you are looking for a car charger. It the Gnex wall charger will probably be 800ma to 1amp

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I looked everywhere online this morning to find the mA rating for the GN wall charger and found nothing. The charger for my OG is rated at 850 mA. Does anyone know what the correct rating for the GN is?

captaincaveman

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Will an OG Droid car or wall charger plug into and charge the Nexus? Are the charging ports the same style?

Sent from mind using the power of prayer

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
As the other posters have stated, one amp is pretty standard, all you need is a standard AC to USB adapter that outputs 1A and you will be golden. Also, I'm pretty sure it will charge of a USB port, just not particularily quickly just like every other smartphone. I don't see OEMs changing this anytime soon considering it is so integrated in the current smartphone market that a number of people would probably balk at the prospect of not being able to charge their phone through their pc

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
As the other posters have stated, one amp is pretty standard, all you need is a standard AC to USB adapter that outputs 1A and you will be golden. Also, I'm pretty sure it will charge of a USB port, just not particularily quickly just like every other smartphone. I don't see OEMs changing this anytime soon considering it is so integrated in the current smartphone market that a number of people would probably balk at the prospect of not being able to charge their phone through their pc
What Deltaechoe and a bunch of others have said. USB spec is like 0.5A, which can barely power my original Droid. If I am using it for navigation or music, with the screen on, it won't charge it. You will need a 1 amp charge rate. Many car chargers now are 1 amp, even the cheap ones. I have had my OG Droid connected to a charger, and showing charging, but battery level decreased because the amount the phone was drawing. With the high rate USB chargers, it will always charge, and pretty quickly.

I am assuming the Nexus charges through the USB port, but am not sure.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Will an OG Droid car or wall charger plug into and charge the Nexus? Are the charging ports the same style?

Sent from mind using the power of prayer
Like I said, I have an OG Droid as well. My wall charger is 850 mA and I found out yesterday online that my Moto car charger is 950 mA. All connections work interchangeably. Just make sure your chargers are up to snuff. If you bought some cheap non-OEM charger for your car, you may want to upgrade that one.
I was asking originally because I usually keep a second charger at work to keep my phone plugged in while streaming. I was just trying to figure out if what I had would suffice or if I needed to get a new second charger.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What Deltaechoe and a bunch of others have said. USB spec is like 0.5A, which can barely power my original Droid. If I am using it for navigation or music, with the screen on, it won't charge it. You will need a 1 amp charge rate. Many car chargers now are 1 amp, even the cheap ones. I have had my OG Droid connected to a charger, and showing charging, but battery level decreased because the amount the phone was drawing. With the high rate USB chargers, it will always charge, and pretty quickly.
I looked at a TON of wall chargers online yesterday. NONE of them stated the mA rating, even when I clicked on "more specs". Wouldn't manufacturers and retailers feel that this is an important piece of information to disclose when someone is determining which charger to purchase?

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Back during the announcement I was hoping they would say it's compatible with USB 3.0 even if just for the extra power available.

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I looked at a TON of wall chargers online yesterday. NONE of them stated the mA rating, even when I clicked on "more specs". Wouldn't manufacturers and retailers feel that this is an important piece of information to disclose when someone is determining which charger to purchase?

Yeah, unfortunately they don't provide much. Look for photos of the label on the device, like this one which shows 0.7A (700 mA), or this one, which shows 750 mA. Note that if they are too cheap they may be knock offs, which may or may not be able to match the labels.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately they don't provide much. Look for photos of the label on the device, like this one which shows 0.7A (700 mA), or this one, which shows 750 mA. Note that if they are too cheap they may be knock offs, which may or may not be able to match the labels.
True. I read a lot of the reviews before selecting a retailer.

tumpin

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Your right, they should list it. I just bought a charger from Amazon that said it was for all Galaxy phones including Nexus but its arrived and its 0.7A. Its not really a problem, it will still work fine but its still not the same as the original charger and thats what I was looking for. If they listed to amps I could have got the right charger. Anyway have a nice day!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke