Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details



    Key facts

    * We've confirmed that the model on display has 32GB of internal storage.

    * There are two Verizon apps installed: My Verizon Mobile and VZ Backup Assistant. Both can be disabled by the user.

    * We've heard rumors of Android 4.1 floating around on these units, but the one in the store is running 4.0.1, which is the same version that GSM users currently have.

    * The Verizon model is roughly half a millimeter thicker than the GSM one, and you can definitely see it when you're holding the two side by side (in the profile view, that is). We don't think it'll bother users in the slightest, though especially if you've never held the GSM model.

    * The coloration of the body is very slightly lighter than the GSM model's, but the difference is pretty minor.

    * Behind the battery cover, the SIM card has moved from the top edge to the left side (looking at the back of the phone), perhaps to make room for LTE guts.
    Thanked by 5:
    droid1294 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    two bloatware apps and they're not hardwired into the phones os

    sounds peachy to me I would get the my verizon app anyway

    but seriously. wtf is with backup assistant, why does it even exist. all our contacts are synced to gmail! who needs this crap?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by harleyb16 View Post
    two bloatware apps and they're not hardwired into the phones os

    sounds peachy to me I would get the my verizon app anyway

    but seriously. wtf is with backup assistant, why does it even exist. all our contacts are synced to gmail! who needs this crap?
    I use it as a backup. My gmail was hacked and I lost all my contacts one time and it was nice to have backup assistant as a safeguard in case that happened again.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    I saw this a few hours ago elsewhere. It's such a non-issue that I didn't think it would be worth posting.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I use it as a backup. My gmail was hacked and I lost all my contacts one time and it was nice to have backup assistant as a safeguard in case that happened again.
    You could also export your numbers to a csv spreadsheet directly from googles contact page to store them locally.


    If you are transferring from a dumbphone it is one of the only options.
    BSG75 likes this.
  6. #6  
    EggoEspada's Avatar

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I use it as a backup. My gmail was hacked and I lost all my contacts one time and it was nice to have backup assistant as a safeguard in case that happened again.
    This. And it helps people who are moving from different phones on Verizon that used Backup Assistant that isn't an Android device
    So many phones, so little time.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by harleyb16 View Post
    wtf is with backup assistant, why does it even exist. all our contacts are synced to gmail! who needs this crap?
    People who are new to Android and smartphones in general likely haven't been syncing their contacts to GMail. Backup Assistant makes it easy for them to transfer their contacts from an old phone to a new phone.

    Imagine that: people whose phone usage is different than yours.
    Thanked by:
    bmidd, hyperdude and Monkey Pi like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaker24 View Post
    I saw this a few hours ago elsewhere. It's such a non-issue that I didn't think it would be worth posting.
    I debated it for a while but decided to anyway simply because I had made a previous comment elsewhere suggesting that the apps may have been displayed on the Google videos simply as a way to "brand" the videos to the VZW version. That, of course, now seems an incorrect possibility.

    Regarding comments about Backup Assistant, I'm personally okay with it. I don't use Gmail and am all too happy to have a way to easily port over my contacts with minimal effort. And since I have a teenager on my plan, MyVerizon is also welcome. So to me, VZW got those picks right. But I am also glad that is all they preloaded to the phone.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Honestly, out of what they reported, I am most happy about the coloration being about the same as the GSM version and not terribly darker.
  10. #10  
    MowDownJoe's Avatar
    Regular lawnmower man...

    Posts
    440 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I use it as a backup. My gmail was hacked and I lost all my contacts one time and it was nice to have backup assistant as a safeguard in case that happened again.
    2-step authentication. Live it, learn it, love it.
    Thanked by 2:
    brinox, thescreensavers and Xandor like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    People who are new to Android and smartphones in general likely haven't been syncing their contacts to GMail. Backup Assistant makes it easy for them to transfer their contacts from an old phone to a new phone.

    Imagine that: people whose phone usage is different than yours.

    I would rather them use cellebrite and not store my contacts on their server. It is just as easy.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    But that means you have to go into a store and actually talk to the people there and let them handle your phone. A lot of people order online specifically because they don't want to deal with the store employees.

    Hell, how do a lot of people end up with garbage like Advanced Task Killer on their phones? Some store employee puts it there "as a convenience".
  13. #13  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by 420board View Post
    I would rather them use cellebrite and not store my contacts on their server. It is just as easy.
    many stores do not use cellebrite and will charge you to use it. Plus if you are that worried there are much worse things they are storing on their servers...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    many stores do not use cellebrite and will charge you to use it. Plus if you are that worried there are much worse things they are storing on their servers...

    Well I am glad its not my ish. VZW probably just wants to get away from cellebrite so they can steal more of your info, so f'em.


    Man I can't believe I forgot about SIM card transfer, thats also probably an option for many (but sim cards can only hold a certain # of contacts unfortunately).
  15. #15  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by 420board View Post
    Well I am glad its not my ish.
    ha that's what you think...
  16. #16  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    ha that's what you think...

    No thats what you think. I know there is information they have of mine, but they only have what I provide them with.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by 420board View Post
    No thats what you think. I know there is information they have of mine, but they only have what I provide them with.
    If you say so.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    I would just be sure to know that anytime you are transmitting information over their network, you are "providing them with" information about you.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    If you say so.
    I will and do. If you read cyrptogon you would know that I have a pretty deep understanding of this ish, in more than just the wireless arena. And if you knew me you would know my background in tech. I write custom roms for myself, tinking with source code and network communications. Its a B-itch and takes a long time, but its worth it for me.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I would just be sure to know that anytime you are transmitting information over their network, you are "providing them with" information about you.

    No ish sherlock. I do limit what I send them though, which is all I'm saying.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    I dislike how Google went from "we are going to make a phone you can take anywhere you want" to letting carriers do whatever they basically want with the Nexus line.

    This is absurd.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by descendency View Post
    I dislike how Google went from "we are going to make a phone you can take anywhere you want" to letting carriers do whatever they basically want with the Nexus line.

    This is absurd.
    No that isn't really the case. If it was verizon would have loaded all their bloat on it. Relax people it is 2 apps. It is still a nexus and will still get updates first.
    Thanked by 2:
    ManBearPig618 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    No that is not the case. If it was verizon would have loaded all their bloat on it. Relax people it is 2 apps. It is still a nexus and will still get updates first.

    Why can you not let people have their own opinions? It's absurd you are the thought police on this forum
    Last edited by terpitude71; 12-04-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: language
  24. #24  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by 420board View Post
    Why can you not let people have their own opinions? It's absurd you are the f'ing thought police on this forum, go f' off
    Wow dude relax. You say let people have their own opinions which is what I was stating yet you freak out. smh
  25. #25  

    Default Re: "The Verge" Confirms VZW Apps Preloaded & Other Details

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Wow dude relax. You say let people have their own opinions which is what I was stating yet you freak out. smh
    Where did i tell you to stop having your opinion? I just told you to off because you are annoying and made a statement as to why I thought so.
    Last edited by terpitude71; 12-04-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: language
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B