Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zero.
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Call clarity

Curious if anyone has read any information about the antenna or call clarity on this phone. I had a bionic about a month ago and that was the first phone I have had in this house in over ten years that has been able to have steady reception with fantastic call clarity at my house. I live in the middle of nowhere, and this is my only way of receiving calls, so this is very important to me.

Preferably (assuming anyone has seen any information about this) it would be comparing it against other smart phones out there. As I said, I had no issues with the Bionic whatsoever as far as reception and clarity it was top notch. However I currently have a 4s (which I will be selling and buying a nexus outright) and the reception and clarity at my house is just shameful.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Default Re: Call clarity

has anyone actually used this phone on CDMA yet? all the phones under Verizon are CDMA, which is not the same radio used as the released GSM version. you may be trying to compare apples & oranges at this point if you are interested in impressions of this phone on VZW/CDMA. unless there's something i'm missing...
    protonchain likes this.

When Phonedog.com did their review they said it was good. Although, it was with the GSM version. They also believe it had noise cancellation as well.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Would it be foolish to assume this would have the same antenna hardware as the Bionic? It seems most other features are similar between the Bionic seems to be running the finest hardware available, and the Nexus seems to be boasting the same.

They are not the same. Moto has their radios and Sammy has their own. Moto phones generally have excellent radios though. P3droid, although infamous, has said the clarity is on par with other high end Android smartphones and he was testing a Verizon version of the Nexus.

I will be very happy if the GNex radio is as good as that in my Motorola Bionic...but I have good reasons to doubt that after my horrific Samsung Charge.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I think this coupled with what everyone has been saying about the build quality of the Nexus is really steering me towards the Razr.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by nurse.jason View Post
    I think this coupled with what everyone has been saying about the build quality of the Nexus is really steering me towards the Razr.
    hmmm... what build quality reports would you be talking about? Just because its plastic? I've had a galaxy s phone (Epic 4G) and that thing took a tumble down the Staples Center's concrete steps with not even a scratch on any part of the phone. This phone is supposed to have a metal frame on the inside for added support. I will admit, Samsung radio software is awful. By far the worst I have ever used. Was the reason none of the leaks for gingerbread were Daily Drivers... go into a low reception area and you were SOL because the radio would crash and could not be recovered. Good thing Google is in charge of the software, not Samsung.

Motorola's business is radios. They have been making radios for 40 or so years for government, state police, tower equipment, etc, etc. Samsung will have as good as Motorola radio hardware when Motorola has as good of screens...ie never
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Either Samsung and Motorola need to team up so I can have a splendid phone, or I need to move to a non awful area. :P

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know someone will, but aren't both radios (Samsung and Motorola) using CDMA chips from Qualcomm? I have noticed no difference in call quality between the Charge, Stratosphere, Droid X, Droid 3, or the Bionic. All clear and consistent.

Global Posts
    1,707 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

It feels very light when you pull it out of the box with no battery installed. Once the battery is installed the phone feels really nice. I can't say anything bad about the build quality because it doen't feel cheap at all to me.

As far as the clarity, it's really nice and clear to me. I don't use it as my primary phone so I haven't had a chance to test it everywhere. It's not quite as good as the Bionic was but IMO very close. It seems better than the Iphone 4.

Call quality is a concern for me as I use my cell phone for my primary work phone. I need a smart phone as there are numerous app and function of the phone that I use for work as well. I have always had Motorola phones based on there call quality but the GN definitely has me looking at switching.

Ok here is my take, coming from a DC to a Razr. This is what I have noticed. Areas in my house that were spotty with my DCharge meaning going in and out ie; close to dropping. My Razr has yet to have a hiccup in those areas, that my DC has had. Also a the rep that sold me the Razr said that Samsung phones usually have more reception issues than Motorola.
    His bottom line was; if you have spotty areae in your hous go with Motorola, if not then Samsung.
    If u are out in the boonies, I would strongly consider Moto.
    Also as far as durability; of the RAZR they did run it under water for a bit and it did repel water and the phone still worked.

As for me I may still switch to the Nexus but I am loving my razr....

Lastly since u are in the boonies and should u decide to go with the razr I would reccomend
    getting a portable charger since u cannot replace the batt in the razr.
    It may come in handy.
    You know on those days whilst you're out cuddling with your sheep; tipping cows.......
    Im sorry I can never resist trying to be funny......

Also I think people may confuse call quality clarity with call reception.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Soba1 View Post
    Ok here is my take, coming from a DC to a Razr. This is what I have noticed. Areas in my house that were spotty with my DCharge meaning going in and out ie; close to dropping. My Razr has yet to have a hiccup in those areas, that my DC has had. Also a the rep that sold me the Razr said that Samsung phones usually have more reception issues than Motorola.
    His bottom line was; if you have spotty areae in your hous go with Motorola, if not then Samsung.
    If u are out in the boonies, I would strongly consider Moto.
    Also as far as durability; of the RAZR they did run it under water for a bit and it did repel water and the phone still worked.

As for me I may still switch to the Nexus but I am loving my razr....

Lastly since u are in the boonies and should u decide to go with the razr I would reccomend
    getting a portable charger since u cannot replace the batt in the razr.
    It may come in handy.
    You know on those days whilst you're out cuddling with your sheep; tipping cows.......
    Im sorry I can never resist trying to be funny......

Also I think people may confuse call quality clarity with call reception.
    I prefer to cuddle my cows, and tip my sheep
    And the Razr just uses your standard mini USB port for charging, right?

I prefer to cuddle my cows, and tip my sheep
    And the Razr just uses your standard mini USB port for charging, right?
    Lol yes it does....
    N to the Nexus peops not trying
    to knock the GN in any way.
    It was a very hard choice.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1