Verizon To Sell GN For $299 on Contract

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It might not come as too much of a surprise given other recent high-end smartphones, but The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Verizon's version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus will sell for $299.99 on the usual two-year contract. That word reportedly comes from people familiar with the matter, who unfortunately didn't get any more specific than "this month" when it came to a release date.

WSJ: Verizon Galaxy Nexus to sell for $299.99 on two-year contract -- Engadget

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for at most $250, but sadly won't happen it looks like. I'll probably still get it, it's just my wallet will take a tad more of a beating. :p

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. This is where being an early adopter gets expensive. Need to remind myself that every one of the 10 or so phones I've had over the years has been free.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Nothing about off contract, eh? I'm guessing $650? Kinda hoping for $600, but also hoping it's less than $700.

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
You guys are kidding me right? Did you really expect this to come out at anything less than $299?

At least those of us who are due for an upgrade will get the additional $50 off, so the phone will be $249. But the price-point is exactly where I expected it to be.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a certified financial planner and read the journal fairly often and their tech section is not all that reliable to be honest.

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Where does it say that anyone really expected it to be less than $299?

Still, $299 is a lot of loot for a phone.

No one said it, but the reactions spoke for themselves.

$299 isn't so bad, really. There are alternatives out there for people who think it's a ripoff, but I think it's about right relative to everything else out there.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can live with that if it's 32GB.

Exactly.

If it was $299/16GB I would've been very peeved.

$199/16GB, I would've been disappointed at the lack of storage rather than pleased with the savings.

$199/32GB, I would've wondered if Verizon had secretly written possession of my eternal soul into the 2-yr contract. Or at least a couple of non-vital internal organs.

$299/32GB is exactly what I was expecting. And, given that I was ready to fork out $299 on a Bionic (#lolwtfwasithinking) 2 months ago, I'm happy to accept it. I'm just glad it's 32GB. (Or I should say "allegedly 32GB", since technically nothing's official until we have it in our clammy little hands.)

Reactions: jephanie

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
No one said it, but the reactions spoke for themselves.

$299 isn't so bad, really. There are alternatives out there for people who think it's a ripoff, but I think it's about right relative to everything else out there.

Yea nobody is claiming that it's a rip off.

Just that $300 is a lot, which it is.

I'll buy it the second it's available and happily pay that amount.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
galaxy_nexus_price.jpg

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hope the full retail is $649 or below.......would rather it be under $600 but I'm being realistic based on other recently released phones (Razr & Rezound).

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am upset that, for whatever reason, VzW didn't release this phone during Black Friday sales. To be fair to consumers who have been waiting two months for this phone, they could at least still honor a $199 price point for this weekend's release. They obviously were going to sell it for a weekend at that price anyway. If it truly is $299 and doesn't go on sale soon after release.... might pass on it. That thought would have been inconceivable just a week ago. F corporate greed.