No google wallet on the gnex - blocked by verizon

pr0crast

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't care really. You'll be able to add it after rooting. I pay Verizon for their network, not for their customer service, their software, or their prices. Bummer that this won't be a true Nexus experience out of the box, but the faux outrage on this forum is kind of silly... You're all going to root it anyway, and when you do it will take you all of 30 seconds to add Google Wallet and remove the two Verizon apps.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never used Google wallet. Is it a way to pay for things using your phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Verizon, AT&T, T Mobile, Motorola, LG, HTC and Samsung are all supporting ISIS (I think thats right LOL) which is another NFC paying method. This explains why only the Nexus on Sprint is using Google Wallet, and looks like it will stay that way. If you want Google Wallet you have to go with Sprint (or root).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Kinda funny really. Everyone but sprint is investing in total over 100 million dollars in isis (Website), yet their system isn't up and won't be piloted until 2012. Google wallet has been in production and can currently be used now. To say this isn't a true nexus device would be bull since the international version and the unlocked nexus s doesn't have it (without root). Like mentioned before, if you are going to root this device and you also wanted to use google wallet, this is a non-issue.

TYagoto

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why this still happened considering ISIS's CEO's interview. I mean the carriers will do w.e they want but it could be ISIS is really just their NFC BIT**** too? (bad joke) idk but.... He claimed that google wallet was the best thing that could happen. He seemed to express that its important to maintain competition and give different consumers options. I wonder how he feels now and what this will mean for ISIS and Google Wallet in the future

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...-is-good-for-mobile-payments-says-rival-isis/

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
At best, ISIS will be another alternative to GWallet. Its asinine for carriers to limit payment systems. Customers should be able to choose for themselves.

You don't see banks limiting payment choices to checks OR debit cards...

I say that THIS is the reason off the delay. Verizon said no to GWallet and Google sent lawyers.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
A non-issue with me,especially since it can be added later.Of course to the people who hate Verizon and/or this phone it seems to mean everything.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
That's doesn't even make sense. Of course you can use checks of debit cards for the same bank. Yo compare to a bank it would be more like Bank of America not charging you to use w Wells Fargo ATM card. Now that's not going to happen!

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Its amazing how well Android has done inspite of Google's amaturish management of the platform. I thought the entire point of a google experience phone was the fact that you got to use a google experience phone. Guess Verizon didnt get the message.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
To get a Nexus phone released on Verizon Google apparently had to 'stray' slightly from the Nexus School of thought. Alot of people, including me, need Verizons superior service, so im stuck with the bloatware and skinned versions of the Android OS. The Galaxy Nexus is my only chance to get that untainted Android experience. Because of my situation, im glad that Google was flexible enough to work something out with Verizon. With that said, i wish I could have the full 'Nexus Experience'.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
By everyone's logic here, the only "true" Google experience (with Google Wallet) is Sprint's Nexus S 4G. The AT&T and T-mobile Nexus S, and the GSM Galaxy Nexus don't have Wallet either...

Reactions: protonchain

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
By everyone's logic here, the only "true" Google experience (with Google Wallet) is Sprint's Nexus S 4G. The AT&T and T-mobile Nexus S, and the GSM Galaxy Nexus don't have Wallet either...

Yup. I have the Sprint phone and I use wallet. Moving to VzW and the GN, so I'm happy to learn that I can add it back in. It's a neat service and has been growing and adding more retailers. Macy's just got on board so you can use your phone there to pay now.

I never rooted my Nexus S 4G, but it sounds like VzW is going to force me to root the GN.

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy google wallet won't be on GN. In fact, I'm leary of NFC in general. I see it as another step in a long slow march to a day when we all require a 'mark' to buy and sell goods. I'm not Amish, but there is some technology that I choose not to support.

-me

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy google wallet won't be on GN. In fact, I'm leary of NFC in general. I see it as another step in a long slow march to a day when we all require a 'mark' to buy and sell goods. I'm not Amish, but there is some technology that I choose not to support.

-me

Thats your perogative, but you also have the choice not to use it. Just because one person does not want it, does not mean everyone else feels the same.

And as a beleiver in conspiracies, I support the future coming of my Google overlords, and welcome and hope to serve them to the best of my abilities :p

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

It is strange that it can't be used with any of those carriers. It kind of makes it a useless app unless your on Sprint.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
NFC is probably going to spark a sharp rise is cell phone theft. Crooks (don't forget they're stupid) are going to see people using their cell phones to pay for stuff, and think it's a magical money box. I see them lurking in parking lots for a snatch and grab.