Google still hasnt fixed this problem..

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
ios fragmentation is not much different. my sisters have the iphone 4. can they use siri? NO. compatibility is something that will never go away. there are certain websites that use .264 codecs and cant run on chrome. newer products will always do more to keep you buying them. its what keeps the tech world moving

um.. thats 1 thing that doesnt work.. the only thing.. an iphone 4 with ios5 can do everything else..

fragmentation problems exists everywhere.. I know this.. Ive dealt with it on my PC due to being an early adopter of 64bit.

I feel like its a much bigger problem on Android.. hence why I had to wait 8 months after I bought my phone for flash support, because Android has no set boundaries.. and Verizon was allowed to throw bing onto it and completely slow down the phones updates.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
try using some comprehension.. not even sure why im bothering to reply to such a bad post.

Why is it bad? Because it refutes your whole argument? Please get a clue. Read all the other posts. Then retread them. Your custom rom is the problem. Not google. But blame who you want even though everyone else tells you that you are wrong.

Why I bother to get in a battle of wits with an unarmed combatant is beyond me...

kamek89

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Unless Google gives you an update to ICS, you can't blame them for a custom ROM. If you get the Nexus and have the same problem than you can blame Google

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
philly your continued ignorance on the subject is astounding. But I have a few minutes to entertain the troll.

Back when Windows 95 came out a large majority of applications, especially dos based games, would not work properly. As it stands a lot of Windows 95 applications will not work properly on XP even though the architecture of both OS's were only slightly different. But as with any iteration of an OS there will always be apps that need to be updated or else they won't work properly. This has been going on for years so for you to make a post about this like you are a SME is hilarious.

Also, my contributions have been in the private and DOD sector so to say it's bragging when you are clearly trying to feel superior for running ICS is hilarious.

I wonder if Capt. Hook knows his sidekick likes Android. I always pictured him being a maniacal apple fanboy, myself.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
what does microsoft have to do with this?

I dont care what they are doing.. I care about Android.

you can keep crying.. silly wannabe dev.

Are you trolling or are you just that stupid?

I provided a comparison if you are the latter. If you don't get it then ask mom or dad what that means.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Google is always going to have something wrong with its OS till something drastic happens.. and from how android is an open OS.. I dont think it will ever be fixed.

The Galaxy Nexus is going to usher in a new wave of fragmentation.. a problem thats already evident on Android.. but seriously.. google is doing a promotion on the amazon market.. and thanks a bunch for the heads up AC.. but I downloaded a half dozen of the apps for sale and almost all of them are glitchy in ICS..

Are we suppose to expect developers to rush around and get everything patched up for ICS? and ignore whatever they are doing for other revs? Are we suppose to just wait around with a brand new phone for months until its actually usable by the majority of apps.. dont get me wrong.. plenty of apps work.. but even the ones that work seem glitchy and you cant deny the fact this isnt ideal.. this fragmentation is horrible.
Google cannot force manufacturers, or phone service providers to use the latest and greatest version of their OS.

If you dislike "fragmentation", then switch to a Blackberry, or iPhone.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
ios fragmentation is not much different. my sisters have the iphone 4. can they use siri? NO. compatibility is something that will never go away. there are certain websites that use .264 codecs and cant run on chrome. newer products will always do more to keep you buying them. its what keeps the tech world moving

ios fragmentation is completely different, with ios fragmentation is old phones not getting new features, but they still get access to the new apis. This is what makes fragmentation on android a big deal, since there is a significant lag time between when a new os version is released and when it is widely adopted, there is a span of time (sometimes quite long) where the people who have the update suffer because of the people who don't. Developers only have so much time, so they are not going to spend it coding apps using the newer apis if most people are not using that version of android.

Why design an app around ics when most people are using gingerbread or froyo? This is the real cost of fragmentation and it affects every single android user. It is an unfortunate cost, and one that I hope google and its partners can solve.

Reactions: philly

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google cannot force manufacturers, or phone service providers to use the latest and greatest version of their OS.

-Blackberry, they have a metric ton of different versions device to device.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
um.. thats 1 thing that doesnt work.. the only thing.. an iphone 4 with ios5 can do everything else..

fragmentation problems exists everywhere.. I know this.. Ive dealt with it on my PC due to being an early adopter of 64bit.

I feel like its a much bigger problem on Android.. hence why I had to wait 8 months after I bought my phone for flash support, because Android has no set boundaries.. and Verizon was allowed to throw bing onto it and completely slow down the phones updates.

Angry birds doesnt run well on 2nd gen ipod touches.... i dunno i havent had an ios product long enough to give you more examples. The user interface makes me want to shoot myself. Too many things i do on android everyday that arent possible on ios devices.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
ios fragmentation is completely different, with ios fragmentation is old phones not getting new features, but they still get access to the new apis. This is what makes fragmentation on android a big deal, since there is a significant lag time between when a new os version is released and when it is widely adopted, there is a span of time (sometimes quite long) where the people who have the update suffer because of the people who don't. Developers only have so much time, so they are not going to spend it coding apps using the newer apis if most people are not using that version of android.

Why design an app around ics when most people are using gingerbread or froyo? This is the real cost of fragmentation and it affects every single android user. It is an unfortunate cost, and one that I hope google and its partners can solve.

uh.. where did you come from? I thought only mindless rabid fanboys were allowed to post?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Are you trolling or are you just that stupid?

I provided a comparison if you are the latter. If you don't get it then ask mom or dad what that means.

no what you did is try and defend a bad practice by blaming microsoft.. guess what....I dont care what microsoft is doing.

that might be hard for you to comprehend.. that Im refering to google... and that I only care about google.. and that your response bringing up something that changes nothing as to whether or not google is fragmented and if its a negative or not does nothing.

heres an example: Person A runs around on forums pretending to be a developer and talks snooty like he is anything more then a nerd with an internet snobcomplex (fake hacker/fake dev type.. you know the type of loser im talking about? yea i cant stand them either).. Person B also does this. Person A is exposed for being a fake, and is called out for it.. and he proceeds to nark on his buddy Person B for being a fake also.. assuming that makes him less guilty.

Now does that make Person A any less of a worthless douche?

so do you like fragmentation or something? or is it impossible for anyone to criticize google in the slightest?

Why is it bad? Because it refutes your whole argument? Please get a clue. Read all the other posts. Then retread them. Your custom rom is the problem. Not google. But blame who you want even though everyone else tells you that you are wrong.

Why I bother to get in a battle of wits with an unarmed combatant is beyond me...

refutes my whole arguement?

making a comment about me blaming google for my app problems refutes my whole arguement? I guess you are to dumb to realize my apps not working was about 1% of my arguement.

I didnt blame google for my apps not working.. but its funny how quick you some of you are to blame everyone but google.

newsflash: you can love android, without being a goofy fanboy.. I sincerely hope some of you never utter the word fanboy to an isheep.. because you are probably 10x the fanboy they will ever be.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Tapatalk works... the same day cory posted, the app was updated. Ics from source properly built =/= a custom rom. There was a post in the blog explaining this. Watch espn doesnt work on my cm7 thunderbolt, but it works perfectly in miui. App developers may need to update, but if they made an attempt months ago when ics was announced, they most likely have their app working. Regardless, quit blaming google for something that isnt their fault. Either blame your rom maker, app developer or just sit on your hands.

That's who I fault the most. When Samsung and Google announced this phone in October they opened up the SDK (I believe that's what it's called) to developers. If I was understanding it right, they were giving devs a chance to get their apps ready for ICS.

Having said that I agree with some of what phil is talking about. I don't know what's involved but, I wish Google was a little more stricter in what they expect from App development. I don't know much about this and won't pretend I do. I'm just going by what I read and personel experience with certain apps.

A example is a app I use called msecure. When I scroll with it in IOS it's very fluid. When I've done this in android it's very choppy. Now using it in ICS it's very fluid, much better than before on previous versions of Android and almost just as good as IOS. I was very impressed until it crashed when I tried to scroll faster. It crashes everytime I try to scroll fast. It's like they're getting there but not quite there yet.

With the hardware on this phone I see no reason why they can't make apps like this work better with the OS.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I can see what the OP was trying to say, however, I just think he went about it the wrong way. Yes fragmentation hurts Android. I believe we can ALL agree with that. But when you went onto the GN forums and posted about fragmentation on ICS, it made people believe you were talking strictly about ICS while using a custom ROM. I think you just placed your thread in the wrong place and perhaps missed getting your point across by talking about how ICS is fragmented when the SDK has only been out for less than a month. Even though you were not talking about specific apps on ICS, the main topic of your OP was about the lack of support on ICS and how apps ran glitchy. You should have just spoke about Android in its entirety and not just singled ICS out.

Again I understand the point you are trying to make OP but I dont think others do because of the way you worded your opening post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome