12/8 AC Podcast: Ask us all of your Galaxy Nexus Questions

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w550h500/postimages/684/ac-podcast-gnex.jpg

Here's the deal. We're just as excited about you are about the Galaxy Nexus finally hitting Verizon this week. It's about damn time, even if Verizon still hasn't officially said anything. It's coming this week.

So on Thursday night's podcast, we're only going to talk about the Galaxy Nexus. But even better than that, we're only going to answer your questions. Yeah, the user manual's floating around. Yeah, you've read the prelease theads. But we've got two people who have been living the Galaxy Nexus for weeks now, and more who have been swimming in Ice Cream Sandwich. It's time to really pick our brains.

Ask your questions here. We'll go through them and answer the best on Thursday night's podcast and make you famous in the process.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these, but it would be nice to get confirmation from the experts, and also to "clear the air" of all of the speculation once and for all:

1. Regardless of the fact of the two installed Verizon apps, will the LTE Galaxy Nexus still get updates direct from Google?

2. Is the mobile hotspot feature in the Settings menu still there? Does it work or is it gimped in some way? Will I need to pay Verizon more money for their "hotspot" feature?

3. Will I need to pay Verizon the additional 3.99/month for Visual Voicemail to work correctly? I'm pretty sure I saw that feature was built into the ICS dialer.

4. Bootloader: still unlockable?

5. Do dreams come true?

Well, everything but that last one...cheers Phil and the gang! :)

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
With all this NFC talk do you really think that it will become a wide spread accepted form of payment in the US with in the next 5, 10, 15 years?

Do you think this issue with the NFC battery swapping is to put a stop to 3rd party batteries being sold cheaper or is it something that can easily be added to the battery so I do not just have to buy from Sammy?

Oh and how many GeeBees???

xd1936

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Will just about every case, dock and accessory made for the GSM version work on the CDMA one?

Also: Go around the table and give each of your conspiracy theories on why the delay happened

weblos

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know the size of the screen with the soft keys displayed.Also can the soft keys be resized in order to view more of the beautiful screen.Thanks

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Please demonstrate a live scratch test. First with car keys, then with a thumbtack, then with sandpaper.

Hey! I'm only kidding! (Unless you want to do it ;>)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys believe that Verizon will/has ruined the what is the pure google experience offered by Nexus devices by hindering a few of its abilities. ie; NFC, Verizon apps? I for one do not mind the VZW apps as their are something that I think I will use, but still, it kind of feels like Verizon MADE google add these just to get it on the network.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Will the OS be fragmented even more by having to offer a separate update for both the GSM and LTE version ( similiar to the Nexus S on sprint and ATT) ?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If battery life does suck, should we opt to get the extended battery over an extra regular battery to swap out, since the NFC chip may hinder the fluent use of google wallet or isis?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Once this phone has finally launched, and we are looking at this 12 months from now, do you think google will drop the ball again by releasing the next device through Verizon?

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Questions,

1. Some people like Josh from the Verge said you can force 2D hardware acceleration. How do you do this?

2. When using SMS does back take you out of the app or back to the threads. This drives me nuts the way it works on gingerbread.

3. Is the UI consistent throughout? Sometimes n gingerbread or forgo, especially with sense UI. The color theme doesn't make sense. For example something's have the new gingerbread menus while others have older looking menus are clickable tabs. Is this improved in any way that you noticed?

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Best guesses from what I have read from around the web

I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these, but it would be nice to get confirmation from the experts, and also to "clear the air" of all of the speculation once and for all:

1. Regardless of the fact of the two installed Verizon apps, will the LTE Galaxy Nexus still get updates direct from Google?

Yes

2. Is the mobile hotspot feature in the Settings menu still there? Does it work or is it gimped in some way? Will I need to pay Verizon more money for their "hotspot" feature?

Probably need to pay for it

3. Will I need to pay Verizon the additional 3.99/month for Visual Voicemail to work correctly? I'm pretty sure I saw that feature was built into the ICS dialer.

Use Google Voice... dont pay for that crap

4. Bootloader: still unlockable?

Yes

5. Do dreams come true?

All they want to do is abuse you but, that is what dreams are made out of.

Well, everything but that last one...cheers Phil and the gang! :)

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Please demonstrate (timed) how long it takes to fully boot up and be fully loaded and ready to use after a battery pull. Preferably with a different (2nd) battery.

Thanks.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
How does the new 3 button layout change the dynamics of interfacing with Android compared to standard 4 button fustercluck layout that Android has been known for?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie