Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Default 12/8 AC Podcast: Ask us all of your Galaxy Nexus Questions

[IMG]/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w550h500/postimages/684/ac-podcast-gnex.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the deal. We're just as excited about you are about the Galaxy Nexus finally hitting Verizon this week. It's about damn time, even if Verizon still hasn't officially said anything. It's coming this week.

So on Thursday night's podcast, we're only going to talk about the Galaxy Nexus. But even better than that, we're only going to answer your questions. Yeah, the user manual's floating around. Yeah, you've read the prelease theads. But we've got two people who have been living the Galaxy Nexus for weeks now, and more who have been swimming in Ice Cream Sandwich. It's time to really pick our brains.

Ask your questions here. We'll go through them and answer the best on Thursday night's podcast and make you famous in the process.

ROM
    Stock/Stock Rooted

Default Re: 12/8 AC Podcast: Ask us all of your Galaxy Nexus Questions

I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these, but it would be nice to get confirmation from the experts, and also to "clear the air" of all of the speculation once and for all:

1. Regardless of the fact of the two installed Verizon apps, will the LTE Galaxy Nexus still get updates direct from Google?

2. Is the mobile hotspot feature in the Settings menu still there? Does it work or is it gimped in some way? Will I need to pay Verizon more money for their "hotspot" feature?

3. Will I need to pay Verizon the additional 3.99/month for Visual Voicemail to work correctly? I'm pretty sure I saw that feature was built into the ICS dialer.

4. Bootloader: still unlockable?

5. Do dreams come true?

Well, everything but that last one...cheers Phil and the gang!

With all this NFC talk do you really think that it will become a wide spread accepted form of payment in the US with in the next 5, 10, 15 years?

Do you think this issue with the NFC battery swapping is to put a stop to 3rd party batteries being sold cheaper or is it something that can easily be added to the battery so I do not just have to buy from Sammy?

Oh and how many GeeBees???

Global Posts
    314 Global Posts

Will just about every case, dock and accessory made for the GSM version work on the CDMA one?

Also: Go around the table and give each of your conspiracy theories on why the delay happened

Will rooting screw up the ability to do OTA updates?
    Do you have to reroot after an OTA update?

I'd like to know the size of the screen with the soft keys displayed.Also can the soft keys be resized in order to view more of the beautiful screen.Thanks

how is the battery life on the LTE version

Please demonstrate a live scratch test. First with car keys, then with a thumbtack, then with sandpaper.

Hey! I'm only kidding! (Unless you want to do it ;>)
    TheNexusMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcCraryNJ View Post
    1. Regardless of the fact of the two installed Verizon apps, will the LTE Galaxy Nexus still get updates direct from Google?
    This is the most important question in my mind.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"

Do you guys believe that Verizon will/has ruined the what is the pure google experience offered by Nexus devices by hindering a few of its abilities. ie; NFC, Verizon apps? I for one do not mind the VZW apps as their are something that I think I will use, but still, it kind of feels like Verizon MADE google add these just to get it on the network.

Will the OS be fragmented even more by having to offer a separate update for both the GSM and LTE version ( similiar to the Nexus S on sprint and ATT) ?

If battery life does suck, should we opt to get the extended battery over an extra regular battery to swap out, since the NFC chip may hinder the fluent use of google wallet or isis?

Once this phone has finally launched, and we are looking at this 12 months from now, do you think google will drop the ball again by releasing the next device through Verizon?

Questions,

1. Some people like Josh from the Verge said you can force 2D hardware acceleration. How do you do this?

2. When using SMS does back take you out of the app or back to the threads. This drives me nuts the way it works on gingerbread.

3. Is the UI consistent throughout? Sometimes n gingerbread or forgo, especially with sense UI. The color theme doesn't make sense. For example something's have the new gingerbread menus while others have older looking menus are clickable tabs. Is this improved in any way that you noticed?

Does the Galaxy Nexus make your wife stop nagging?

Best guesses from what I have read from around the web

Quote Originally Posted by MMcCraryNJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these, but it would be nice to get confirmation from the experts, and also to "clear the air" of all of the speculation once and for all:

Yes

2. Is the mobile hotspot feature in the Settings menu still there? Does it work or is it gimped in some way? Will I need to pay Verizon more money for their "hotspot" feature?

Probably need to pay for it

3. Will I need to pay Verizon the additional 3.99/month for Visual Voicemail to work correctly? I'm pretty sure I saw that feature was built into the ICS dialer.

Use Google Voice... dont pay for that crap

4. Bootloader: still unlockable?

Yes

5. Do dreams come true?

All they want to do is abuse you but, that is what dreams are made out of.

Well, everything but that last one...cheers Phil and the gang!

Please demonstrate (timed) how long it takes to fully boot up and be fully loaded and ready to use after a battery pull. Preferably with a different (2nd) battery.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jheredia View Post
    how is the battery life on the LTE version
    +1 for me as well....

How does the new 3 button layout change the dynamics of interfacing with Android compared to standard 4 button fustercluck layout that Android has been known for?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Please demonstrate (timed) how long it takes to fully boot up and be fully loaded and ready to use after a battery pull. Preferably with a different (2nd) battery.

Thanks.
    I vote for this question! I hate phones that take a super long time to turn on!

I would like to know how the 4.65 inch screen compares to the Samsung Droid Charge when it comes to how it feels in the hand, it's overall size.

ROM
    BB by Pete Alfonso

Not sure if this is asked before, but here it is

From Verizon's statement, they block Google Wallet because it asks to have more hardware access (deep integration). Possibly access to a chip storing a keychain type thing, which decrypts credit card information somewhere.

Question:
    Does this mean blocking Google Wallet happens at the hardware level? Does rooting and flash custom OS ROM solve the problem? Or we need to flash new firmware to that specific locked hardware to unlock it?

Can you get rid of the Google Search Bar on the home screen? I’ve been reading that it’s non removable. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, 3 questions regarding the Galaxy Nexus:

1. Verizon claims Google Wallet "needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element," and cites that as the reason it's not on the Galaxy Nexus. Now, we all know there is a workaround to get it "unofficially" on the phone, but if Google Wallet is hacked on, does that mean that it is somehow not secure, or less secure than an official version? Could your credit card info be at a potential risk of being easily compromised if you sideload the app?

2. Any idea yet, as to what the exact issue with NFC and secure tokens will be regarding swapping batteries in the Galaxy Nexus? Do you guys think it will be a big enough deal to avoid a NFC enabled extended battery completely? Should I not buy a second battery on day 1, and instead, wait a few weeks?

3. I read somewhere that VOIP calling is built into ICS and the Galaxy Nexus. Is that true? On Verizon's version of the Galaxy Nexus, can you easily make free voice calls using data, without using your calling plan minutes? And if so, how do you do it?
    Last edited by Hud3500; 12-07-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    Andrew Ruffolo likes this.

Default Will PDA Net work on the the Galaxy Nexus ?

Will PDA Net work on the Galaxy Nexus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast