Moving my stuff over

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Alright, so it looks like the Nexus is truly in sight now. Finally it will be time to retire the OG Droids both my wife and I have.

Now, I know that I can download all the apps I have from the market to the Nexus once I login with my Google account info.

But, what about things local to the phone, such an my Angry Birds scores and such. Is there some root free way to transfer that data over? Or even non-root free?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
im actually curious how im going to move my sd card contents to the phone.. Im pretty sure USB Mass Storage doesnt work on the Nexus.. so I cant just drag and drop and be done with it in about 20 seconds.. can someone please explain what work around I have to do?

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
im actually curious how im going to move my sd card contents to the phone.. Im pretty sure USB Mass Storage doesnt work on the Nexus.. so I cant just drag and drop and be done with it in about 20 seconds.. can someone please explain what work around I have to do?

My understanding is that Windows users will still be able to access this phone's contents exactly as if it supported USB mass storage, but Linux and Mac users will need to wait for a workaround.

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I think it's fun to start everything from scratch again. King of shakes you out of the routine of using the exact same set up and apps. Obviously I'll download my paid apps and stuff, but I like working from a clean slate.

Makes playing the games fun again if you start back at zero.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It's a pain to re-set up 6 email accounts in K-9 and everything else.

Also I'm on level 250+ on Defender and I don't want to start over!

Reactions: Jdm4292

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it's fun to start everything from scratch again. King of shakes you out of the routine of using the exact same set up and apps. Obviously I'll download my paid apps and stuff, but I like working from a clean slate.

Makes playing the games fun again if you start back at zero.
Same here. I haven't used my phone to play games in I'd say about a year now - I've got my iPod touch and Xoom for that.

Since the whole transferal of app data is going to be difficult at best between the OG and the Nexus, I'm just not going to worry about it. Besides, I'm used to losing some data between flashing ROMs and such. Plus I too like the clean slate

CrimsonBlur

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm the exact same boat...but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother tranferring a whole lot other than essential files.
I don't game too heavily on android, (although my Game Dev Story save is quite extensive...:-\) so I might just install fresh.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah if not for my mail setup and Defender I wouldn't care much.

The mail setup usually takes a few hours. To get back to my Defender level will be obnoxious.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the OG droid but will admit that I don't have a lot of application data to move over. I use Google calendar, Docs and Contacts, Picasa not so much,so they will auto come down to new device. I have some notes on the phone that I could save but I think I will copy them to word docs on PC and then re-input them...what better way to test out the keyboard? Also any important documents, or pictures have already been backup to my PC in the first place - not going to trust a portable cell phone with any of it.

So I have made a Phone directory on my PC. In that directory I will move over pictures and PDF files and such and a only a few other documents from my old previous phone that I want. I will install previous apps and then check to see how they are stored on the new phone, then copy over a few things to see how they function. For application specific data such as Angry birds scores I am willing to skip it. If you got a Angry birds score you should be able to get it even easier on the new pone.... Not even sure Angry birds will work with ICS... so not going to worry about this kind of thing

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
How will will the lack of SD card work? I thought it would not be a big deal as I don't remove my card but after listening to the AC podcast, the phone storage is not separate from the user storage. If you wipe your phone, you wipe your data(pics, music, etc.) as well!

Will we need to dump the data on the PC before doing anything or is the use of Roms not as big of a deal? I assume since most of the bloat is gone, it won't be as important but I think rooting would be needed for wireless tether. I also heard that unlocking the bootloader would be needed if you want to modify anything and that when you do this, it wipes your data(plus user data) so you should do it before you start adding things to the phone.

Seems like modding your phone is a whole new animal...

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...Now, I know that I can download all the apps I have from the market to the Nexus once I login with my Google account info.

But, what about things local to the phone, such an my Angry Birds scores and such. Is there some root free way to transfer that data over? Or even non-root free?

See the Getting Started section on Backup, Restore or Transfer Apps, Files, and Settings for details. Here are highlights.

? If you save contacts to Google, they will automatically transfer. It tells how to get the ones saved to your phone out.

? Some phones (HTC EVO 4G, etc.) do allow you to save some app settings but the setting is often hidden.

? Google does not backup free apps but AppBrain can automatically reinstall ALL apps on the same device or any device with the same Google Account.

? Apps like MyBackup Pro ($5) or the 30-day trial version can automatically backup your Applications, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Browser Bookmarks, Texts, Calendar, System Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Playlists, and more to your microSD card or online. If you are rooted, it will also backup Apps settings and data.

? It walks you through how to Backup Android Files To Your PC and then transfer to your phone even if it does not have an SD card.

If it has been a while since you set up a new phone, the other sections may help as well.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
? Google does not backup free apps but AppBrain can automatically reinstall ALL apps on the same device or any device with the same Google Account.

FALSE. My biggest pain with reflashing my OG Droid is the market automatically redownloading ALL 100-something apps (which can't possibly fit on the Droid's tiny internal storage). I highly doubt that's something the ROM developers did. Do note, though, that these would all be fresh installs, with no memory of past ROMs.

CyanLite

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying I won't be able to connect a GN up to a non-Windows device (my car's mp3 player for example) and it won't be able to just read the contents like it was a USB drive?

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Turn on the Back Up Application Data to your Google Account in Settings, and once you install these apps on your new phone, they will be automatically sync'd.

Of course, if you are rooted, use Titanium backup. Copy the back up folder from the old phone to the new phone (both can be mounted to a computer, or use slow bluetooth), and install Titanium Backup on the new phone to do recover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy